Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3061 · 246218

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2010 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:08 PM
Tried to get into the fancy flashlight collecting but I am contempt with my led Maglite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is yet another rabbit hole. 

I do have to say however that the 2 lights I had wanted didn't let me down in terms of features or quality.  A good affordable alternative is the Thrunite T10 ( newest edition ) in either NW or CW.  Such a great bargain and really ticks all the boxes.  Small, rugged, good mode spacing, lovely beam, AA, no disco modes for those just cannot stand them and a nice price point. 

That being said, my Zebralight is all that and the chip factory not just the bag of chips.  Using a 14500 just makes it that much more awesome.  Olights S1R is pretty darn awesome as well.  Its the brightest light I have and one of the smallest.  Really nice mode spacing and then BOOM search light. 

I hesitated for a long while before I pulled the trigger on these lights.  At nearly $70 I was hoping they'd be amazing and they are.  That didn't keep me from getting the Manker E02 with Nichia led.  It was a inexpensive way to try that led in NW.  The light is pretty darn nice for the price paid. 

I have a LED mag light in my vehicles emergency road kit.  2 AA/s with disco modes just in case I end up on the side of the road.  I have 3 AA lights that see regular use and 3 AAA lights that see regular use.  My most favorite AAA light is my Ti Thrunite at 160 lm max.  Its a great little light that IF was to only have one AAA light it would that one. 

Aloha that's the main reason I keep reminding myself that I am happy with my Maglite.  I know that if I pull a trigger on one it will take me down a rabbit hole I can't get out of.  I still want a few SAKs like the Farmer or anything with a saw, I can't believe I don't have a SAK with a saw.  I know that if I start looking for flashlights it's going to become an addiction. 

For a while I was into Maglites and own a few, then led flashlights started coming out, now I own a few.  Then I discovered the tactical lights, I convince myself that the mag is all I need.

In reality, I used to camp and hike a lot and Mags are a very good light that suited me well.  They use simple easy to get batteries. The higher end flashlights require the batteries that are not as available. I don't think that I was ever in the woods and said to myself I wish I had more light.  That's just my 2 cents.

Additionally, a knife or a multitool will last forever but with lights technologies change.  Other than my incandescent mags I also own a few of those Coleman white gas lanterns, with LED technology, those are unfortunately now a novelty as well.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:08:48 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2011 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:54 PM
Well said.  Its a tricky rabbit hole like many to get out of.  I use headlamps for my camping now.  I have a couple and yet again its a rabbit hole  :facepalm:.  We had an power outage last year some time and I was happy with the lights I had at the time.  All performed wonderfully and they all lasted more that adequately.  Add a lip balm top to many AAA lights and you have a diffuser which works great as a table lamp.

At the $20-$30 range there are a lot of lights that temp me but when that happens I push pause.  I paused on the Zebralight for over a year.  There is only one more light to "try" but I've pushed pause and will hold off for a while yet. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2012 on: August 01, 2017, 05:53:23 PM
Agreed, even now the led headlamps got really cheap.  I remember the day you had an option to only buy the Petzl and a few others.  Now you can buy led headlapms for under 5 bucks that probably perform just as well.

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2013 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:08 PM
Agreed, even now the led headlamps got really cheap.  I remember the day you had an option to only buy the Petzl and a few others.  Now you can buy led headlapms for under 5 bucks that probably perform just as well.

Yup.  I have a Lithium powered headlamp I got for a great price.  Its in my camp box.  I went with a couple budget ones but I've learned to a degree you get what you pay for, up to a point. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2014 on: August 01, 2017, 06:25:34 PM
The way the technology has advanced recently, I often ask if the 50 dollar Petzl is worth the price vs the $15 dollar rayovac headlamp.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:44:15 PM by Zhenchok »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2015 on: August 01, 2017, 06:41:30 PM
The way the technology has advanced recently, I often ask if The 50 dollar Petzl is worth the price vs the $15 dollar rayovac headlamp.

Therin lies the problem.  I get both to be able to make that determination  :facepalm:.  What I've learned thus far is at certain price points the "gains" are marginal.  What I tend to do is try my best to determine what was lacking the last time I was using a light.  I also remember what worked well but could have been better. 

Other times I just want to try something else.  haha . 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline italophil

Reply #2016 on: August 01, 2017, 06:51:26 PM
The way the technology has advanced recently, I often ask if the 50 dollar Petzl is worth the price vs the $15 dollar rayovac headlamp.

I agree. The LEDs and drivers might be exactly the same in all these headlamps, but the plastic quality can vary a lot. I have an Energizer headlamp and the light output and levels thereof is great, the plastic on the other hand feels cheap, has sharp edges and the angle adjustment makes a sound like it's about to break every time I adjust it. Still, I don't feel the need to upgrade to a Petzl.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2017 on: August 01, 2017, 06:51:39 PM
Completely agree, I usually buy the "better quality" brand.  In all honesty, when I went to camp as a kid, we basically lived in the woods for the summer, our outdoor survivalist counselor would say that you don't even need a flashlight or the high end gear when you are in the woods.  20 years later it still resonates.  I love the gear,  but it's more of a hobby nice to have vs survival needs.  If you ever have the time, watch the 4 part documentary called "Happy People" it is on YouTube. You can find it with English subtitles, it takes place in Siberia. The people who live out their life in the wilderness  do not have the needs for all the sophisticated products that we have available.  They simply have an AX, a gun, a knife, and make almost everything else they need. Kind of puts things into perspective.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2018 on: August 01, 2017, 06:54:23 PM
Completely agree, I usually buy the "better quality" brand.  In all honesty, when I went to camp as a kid, we basically lived in the woods for the summer, our outdoor survivalist counselor would say that you don't even need a flashlight or the high end gear when you are in the woods.  20 years later it still resonates.  I love the gear,  but it's more of a hobby nice to have vs survival needs.  If you ever have the time, watch the 4 part documentary called "Happy People" it is on YouTube. You can find it with English subtitles, it takes place in Siberia. The people who live out their life in the wilderness  do not have the needs for all the sophisticated products that we have available.  They simply have an AX, a gun, a knife, and make almost everything else they need. Kind of puts things into perspective.

The HORROR  :ahhh
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2019 on: August 01, 2017, 06:56:56 PM
Kidding.  I agree.  We've gone gear centered.  Skills and simplicity are always going to be what indigenous people have maintained thru the years.  I know the lights I have are over kill for what I ''need'' but dagoneit. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2020 on: August 01, 2017, 06:57:24 PM

I agree. The LEDs and drivers might be exactly the same in all these headlamps, but the plastic quality can vary a lot. I have an Energizer headlamp and the light output and levels thereof is great, the plastic on the other hand feels cheap, has sharp edges and the angle adjustment makes a sound like it's about to break every time I adjust it. Still, I don't feel the need to upgrade to a Petzl.
Great point,  the cheaper stuff has a different feel to it.  I could never really identify why that is.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2021 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:05 PM
Kidding.  I agree.  We've gone gear centered.  Skills and simplicity are always going to be what indigenous people have maintained thru the years.  I know the lights I have are over kill for what I ''need'' but dagoneit.

That's what makes it fun :)

us Offline italophil

Reply #2022 on: August 01, 2017, 07:10:15 PM
Great point,  the cheaper stuff has a different feel to it.  I could never really identify why that is.

With consumer goods plastic, the "feel" depends on several factors that all directly impact the cost. These include the type of plastic and additives used, the wall thickness, the quality of the injection mold (precision, hardness, complexity / number of parts), the reinforcement of the plastic (e.g. glass fiber or beads), the number of injections, i.e. rubber over mold. You can't see most of these things on a picture, but you can feel it when you pick up the part.
I did consumer testing as part of an engineering project several years ago and nearly all testers could pick out the higher priced parts easily, even without any technical background at all. It's a trade off and it isn't easy to hit the right balance.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #2023 on: August 01, 2017, 07:27:08 PM
Very interesting, paying more sometimes is worth it.  I heard something similar happens in clothing.  Different cotton materials really are more expensive to produce. But for the most part, majority of consumers are not willing to spend more money in the higher end stuff.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:29:25 PM by Zhenchok »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2024 on: August 01, 2017, 07:44:09 PM
Got a great Led Lenser F1. Still, for my needs, the Nitecore Tube I EDC is more than enough.

Depending on your daily routine, it may make sense to have different flashlights for different occasions.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2025 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:30 PM
Got a great Led Lenser F1. Still, for my needs, the Nitecore Tube I EDC is more than enough.

Depending on your daily routine, it may make sense to have different flashlights for different occasions.

Preach brother preach.

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2026 on: August 01, 2017, 07:57:34 PM

Preach brother preach.

What?!
 :rant: :rant:

Show content
Who are you calling a preack?! Oh... wait... preach... sorry... I no talk good englisher...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2027 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:33 PM
Got to run to the palindromic thread now...

This happens more and more every day...
 :facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline italophil

Reply #2028 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:20 PM

Does the Tube add much for you, compared to the flashlight in your phone?

pl Offline maba

Reply #2029 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:28 PM

us Offline italophil

Reply #2030 on: August 08, 2017, 01:05:56 PM
I just picked up a Sunwayman D20A. I wanted something with a dedicated red light, built in pocket clip and about the size of a LM Wave. This one seems to fit.

gb Offline zr0dfx

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #2032 on: August 14, 2017, 06:45:06 AM
Latest I've bought are two UCO Alkis for 17$ each. Flashlight turns into a 150 lumen lantern. Seem pretty good for the money. Mostly got them so I don't have to let people borrow my Fenix and have plenty of rechargeable batteries. That and avoid burning my leg with another propane/gas bug attraction.  :facepalm:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2033 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:22 AM
I don't really have the cash to spare but even so I said screw it and bought a Nitecore MT22a in tan. I have a weird attraction to square or oddly shaped flashlights. I assume it's because I had a old square flashlight as a very small child and it is one of the few early memories I can still recall. Still have the light too! I'll let you all know what I think when it comes in. I'm quite excited!
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2034 on: August 15, 2017, 02:17:35 AM
I just picked up a Sunwayman D20A. I wanted something with a dedicated red light, built in pocket clip and about the size of a LM Wave. This one seems to fit.

(Image removed from quote.)

LOVE the look of that!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2035 on: August 17, 2017, 05:02:36 PM
Manker E02 8)

You take the best pics.  So much so that I also ended up getting this very light  ;).  Mine is the Nichia and so far I'm very happy with it.  The color is really nice and compliments a SAK nicely.

Well here we are not quite a month later and the E02 is dead  :(.  I'll be contacting Manker for warranty.  I used the light at home quite often then switched it to my daily carry.  I really dig the style and color and Nichia LED very much.  I'm confident they will make it right.  I tried everything on my end to get it going but I'm certain the light is dead. 

Come on Manker I really like this light.  Fenix LD02 will be back in my daily carry till I hear back from them.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2036 on: August 20, 2017, 03:44:06 AM
Olight i3e copper and the suspension clip I made for it :cheers:

2017-08-19_08-20-00 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

I may make another clip and take more time with it and refine it a bit :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2037 on: August 20, 2017, 03:44:43 AM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2038 on: August 20, 2017, 04:14:31 AM
Got my Nitecore MT22a..... it's defective right out of the box.  :facepalm:

I know I say this a lot but I have the worst luck with buying items!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline italophil

Reply #2039 on: August 20, 2017, 03:46:47 PM
Got my Nitecore MT22a..... it's defective right out of the box.  :facepalm:

I know I say this a lot but I have the worst luck with buying items!

I challenge you for that title! I just received a broken LM Rebar and the Sunwayman posted further up in this thread stopped working after only one week and now just flickers shortly before turning off again. And of course it did that while I was doing something for my wife  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%