Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3057 · 243496

us Offline JustinCase

Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2250 on: October 20, 2018, 07:54:08 AM
I have one of those LED Baseball cap lights and they are very bright at night, specially when I'm in the middle of a lake fishing  :)
A cap light or a cap that has a light?
JR

A baseball cap that has LEDs concealed under the brim is usually called cap light, but not referring to a police officer :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:25:46 AM by JustinCase »
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2251 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:56 PM
Thread nudge.  ;)

I got given a ThorFire TK15 for Christmas and I'm very pleasantly surprised.  I remember when they were just one of a dozen "insetert-random-name-here-Fire" brands, but the quality on this seems to be a big jump ahead of what I was expecting. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2252 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:59 PM
Thread nudge.  ;)

I got given a ThorFire TK15 for Christmas and I'm very pleasantly surprised.  I remember when they were just one of a dozen "insetert-random-name-here-Fire" brands, but the quality on this seems to be a big jump ahead of what I was expecting.

Looks a lot like Fenix's PD32.
pd.jpg
* pd.jpg (Filesize: 46.63 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2253 on: December 30, 2018, 10:14:01 PM
Thread nudge.  ;)

Looks a lot like Fenix's PD32.

Very similar indeed.  :tu:  At about a fifth of the price it's a very inexpensive way to get something similar, though I would hope the Fenix has the leg up on build quality and after-market support.  Time will tell how durable the switch and other electronics are on the ThorFire.  Pleasant light colour that, to my eye, would be fairly called Neutral and certainly no blue that I can see.

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2254 on: January 08, 2019, 08:05:30 PM
Bought a few of these cheap but functional 9 volt battery LED lights from Dorcy, since they're on sale (can choose free shipping before checkout).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2255 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:28 PM
Very cool :like: and thanks for the heads up :salute:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #2256 on: January 08, 2019, 10:49:59 PM
They come handy if you don't have a tester and want to know if your 9V batteries are dead or still juiced :D :tu:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2257 on: January 10, 2019, 10:16:06 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #2258 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:51 PM
Just got it from one of the flashlight forums at a great price. Amazing brightness in such a small little package (2.5")

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2259 on: January 11, 2019, 03:56:51 AM
Two nice looking lights ez and Justin :o 8) :like:

us Offline William

Reply #2260 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:36 PM
Hope this is ok to post. If not, please delete.
Just got this after a month in the mail from China (about normal). It was a bit of a pain ordering but finally got thought it.
It is a BLF project with Sofrin available at Aliexpress for between $6.50 and $8.00 shipped depending on if you use the BLF discount.
It is a AAA single mode low output twisty with 5mm high CRI Yuji LED (one version in 3200K, other version in 5600K); co-creation between BLF community and Sofirn; commemorative clone of Fenix E01 and Arc AAA; cockroach light."
Also can take a trit and magnet in the tail and is available in black, red or blue. Includes a clip.
Size is almost identical to the Fenix E01.
Pretty good deal IMO.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2261 on: February 04, 2019, 11:39:45 PM
Why would you not be able to post it here?

I have been on the fence about getting these,just not sure I need such a low power light though I am familiar with the arguments for it for sure.

So what do you think?
Does it match the Hype?

Just got this after a month in the mail from China (about normal). It was a bit of a pain ordering but finally got thought it.
It is a BLF project with Sofrin available at Aliexpress for between $6.50 and $8.00 shipped depending on if you use the BLF discount.
It is a AAA single mode low output twisty with 5mm high CRI Yuji LED (one version in 3200K, other version in 5600K); co-creation between BLF community and Sofirn; commemorative clone of Fenix E01 and Arc AAA; cockroach light."
Also can take a trit and magnet in the tail and is available in black, red or blue. Includes a clip.
Pretty good deal IMO.
(Image removed from quote.)

us Offline William

Reply #2262 on: February 05, 2019, 12:02:18 AM
Thought maybe mentioning a sale on another forum might be a problem.
It seems to be very well made for the price point.
I use these lights mainly as a reading aid in restaurants and at night around the house when I don't need a very bright light. I have sold most of my blaster lights as I don't need them anymore. Retired.
The real hype for me was the price point. Just wanted to see what they could come up with and liked the choice of tints. I wanted to try the warmer one. I got my Sapphire for this purpose in the 5600 tint.
Just like playin' around. Don't really need anything but that won't stop me.

I have been on the fence about getting these,just not sure I need such a low power light though I am familiar with the arguments for it for sure.

So what do you think?
Does it match the Hype?

Pretty good deal IMO.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2263 on: February 05, 2019, 12:19:14 AM
I hear you,I got the Sapphire exactly the same as you and for the same reasons but it is just not enough light for me most times anymore and I took it off the keychain recently too.
I don't need crazy bright but more than 20-30 lumens a lot of times too.

So I EDC Zebras and get everything in one light.

Those Sofirn seem like they could be fun though,dim fun but fun anyway?

Thought maybe mentioning a sale on another forum might be a problem.
It seems to be very well made for the price point.
I use these lights mainly as a reading aid in restaurants and at night around the house when I don't need a very bright light. I have sold most of my blaster lights as I don't need them anymore. Retired.
The real hype for me was the price point. Just wanted to see what they could come up with and liked the choice of tints. I wanted to try the warmer one. I got my Sapphire for this purpose in the 5600 tint.
Just like playin' around. Don't really need anything but that won't stop me.

So what do you think?
Does it match the Hype?

Pretty good deal IMO.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2264 on: February 05, 2019, 05:52:30 PM
Here's a 1 x AA flashlight that I picked up on Deal Extreme https://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-xr-e-r2-1-led-280lm-3-mode-cool-white-light-zooming-mini-flashlight-black-1-x-14500-2052870#.XFjopi3Myfc for under $3. 
It doesn't produce anything close to the 280 lumens advertised, but 50 - 60 lumens from a AA isn't bad.  (80 lumens from a 14500)
UltraFire - 1.jpg
* UltraFire - 1.jpg (Filesize: 96.13 KB)
- Steve

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2265 on: February 06, 2019, 12:34:38 PM
Pretty good deal IMO.

So basically a E01 but with a good emitter tint?  Nice.  :cheers:

us Offline William

Reply #2266 on: February 06, 2019, 11:49:11 PM
Pretty good deal IMO.

Yes. That was the exact goal of the project. And a bit less output.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2267 on: February 06, 2019, 11:58:40 PM
So are you glad that you jumped in with it?
They are pretty irresistible for the price and if you are positive about yours then I can blame it on you when I buy some! :rofl:

Pretty good deal IMO.

Yes. That was the exact goal of the project. And a bit less output.

us Offline William

Reply #2268 on: February 07, 2019, 02:01:53 AM
So are you glad that you jumped in with it?
They are pretty irresistible for the price and if you are positive about yours then I can blame it on you when I buy some! :rofl:

Probably will get some more. Gotta try  the other tint. Go for it.

wales Offline rrr47

Reply #2269 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:50 AM
My latest flashlight is a mechanics light, all plastic construction, magnets to attach to the vehicle, moving base to angel the beam. Spot light on top flood on front, USB recharging.
While working in a garage I was using one of these under a car changing the oil, I knocked the light and it fell straight into the very hot oil I had just drained out of the engine. I know the oil was very hot, because my first reaction was to retrieve the flashlight. But once I had cleaned the torch with brake cleaner, it was fine, a bit of a darker yellow, but OK.
I got this one while working in another garage, it cost £40.00!!!
P1130051.JPG
* P1130051.JPG (Filesize: 138.84 KB)
P1130053.JPG
* P1130053.JPG (Filesize: 135.73 KB)
P1130054.JPG
* P1130054.JPG (Filesize: 128.75 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2270 on: February 20, 2019, 06:40:48 AM
Nitecore Sens AA.
Pretty cool little thing. Has a mode where the output varies according to the angle you hold it. Dim when pointed at your feet and bright pointed horizontally.
IMG_20190220_153606.jpg
* IMG_20190220_153606.jpg (Filesize: 411.6 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2271 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:31 AM
Nitecore Sens AA.
Pretty cool little thing. Has a mode where the output varies according to the angle you hold it. Dim when pointed at your feet and bright pointed horizontally.

I remember reading about these when they first came out and I wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or genius.  I look forward to hearing which you think it is.  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2272 on: February 20, 2019, 12:17:33 PM
Nitecore Sens AA.

I remember reading about these when they first came out and I wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or genius.  I look forward to hearing which you think it is.  :tu:

:iagree: except I never heard about them :o :ahhh :like:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2273 on: February 20, 2019, 11:30:06 PM
Nitecore Sens AA.

I could not get used to mine and tried a few different specimens to make sure it wasn't just the light?

Nope it was just me! :think:

Way too gimmicky for me but a lot of us seem to like them which is why I gave it a try. :dunno:

us Offline William

Reply #2274 on: February 21, 2019, 10:09:44 PM
I'm sure no one else has done this but I just bought a light for the second time after selling it.
It's a TAIN Ottavino V4. Don't know why I ever sold it; it was one of my favorites.Rather unique UI which loosens to turn on and further loosen to go to high. Beautiful knurled titanium, trit in the tail and the smallest AAA I have every had. 
Gonna try to keep this one.
With a Butterbean:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2275 on: February 21, 2019, 11:17:45 PM
Nitecore Sens AA.

I could not get used to mine and tried a few different specimens to make sure it wasn't just the light?

Way too gimmicky for me but a lot of us seem to like them which is why I gave it a try. :dunno:

Yes the ADT (auto dimming technology) feature is a bit gimmicky but I can see it being useful in some very limited situations. Walking a path on a dark night where you only need to illuminate what's under your feet but might want to check what's ahead now and then, raise your hand and boom full power, back at your feet... dim.
A better feature is direct access to steady high, medium and low modes by the angle you hold the light when you turn it on.
Personally I'm liking it so far, it's good to have a reasonably bright light that runs on AAs and doesn't require 14500s, simple UI, no flashy/blinky modes, decent quality and doesn't cost multiple limbs.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2276 on: February 22, 2019, 01:04:58 AM
Like I said I was intrigued enough to give one several tries but I could not get one to work predictably at all so......

I am a simple Caveman though,ask anyone! :multi:

Nitecore Sens AA.

Yes the ADT (auto dimming technology) feature is a bit gimmicky but I can see it being useful in some very limited situations. Walking a path on a dark night where you only need to illuminate what's under your feet but might want to check what's ahead now and then, raise your hand and boom full power, back at your feet... dim.
A better feature is direct access to steady high, medium and low modes by the angle you hold the light when you turn it on.
Personally I'm liking it so far, it's good to have a reasonably bright light that runs on AAs and doesn't require 14500s, simple UI, no flashy/blinky modes, decent quality and doesn't cost multiple limbs.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2277 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:13 AM
Some really cool lights y'all have gotten recently! :like:

This Red beam Solitaire came with the Center-Drive in a kit.

It says it is 33 lumens, but it seems brighter to me. Though the spectrum of light may be to blame for my perception.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2278 on: February 22, 2019, 12:10:38 PM
Great pics of some nice looking lights William and GLBM :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2279 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:33 PM
Thank you, Poncho! :cheers:

After some searching, it seems the red beam is good for confined spaces at night, such as cockpits, tents, and etc. It is supposed to be safe for night vision too. Aside from a possible use in a tent, doesn't look like it'll be getting much use. Though, it is supposed to show finer detail and be less harsh on the eyes. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%