Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3054 · 239710

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:10 PM
Got a Zebralight SC80 from Mel for Valentines day :)
I'm very, very jealous mate. :tu:
It does mean I've had to be nice to here since though, so it's not all good ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:32 PM
Me too; you lucky dog!!!

I am SO jonesing for an SC80c...  TWO in fact...  I just can't bring myself to spring for two of them though, and I know the only way I'd be happy with them is to have two...  I know my EDC habits, and I'm sure I'd find the body design wouldn't work well for me for EDC, so I'd want to mount them on my bike's handlebar, or on my helmet for riding, and I wouldn't be happy with that unless I had two so I could go all clone-trooper with my helmet.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:19 AM
Just got this inexpensive little but powerful light: a Fenix E15 :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Teofilo,
I bought one in December, and for the price point, it is a really nice torch. The constant current regulation is great. My runtime test on low, with a fresh Panasonic CR123, ran for 33.7 hours. More than the advertised time.  :)
I really like the throw that the optic provides. I think it's a poor mans Muyshondt Nautilus.  How is the tint on yours? Mine is very slightly warm.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:38 AM
Me too; you lucky dog!!!

I am SO jonesing for an SC80c...  TWO in fact...  I just can't bring myself to spring for two of them though, and I know the only way I'd be happy with them is to have two...  I know my EDC habits, and I'm sure I'd find the body design wouldn't work well for me for EDC, so I'd want to mount them on my bike's handlebar, or on my helmet for riding, and I wouldn't be happy with that unless I had two so I could go all clone-trooper with my helmet.
Well hopefully I'll be able to use it properly over the weekend and I'll report back :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 10:02:56 AM
I have not done enough research on quality (expensive) flashlights to spend money on one right now, so I stick with the cheap ones I find at Walmart.  I have found a few good ones, though.  Right now I have about 6 lights, most of which are Coleman Max lights, ranging from 110 to 144 lumens.  I really love the Max that puts out 144 lumens.  It runs on 3 AAA batteries, and has 1 LED bulb that lasts for 100,000 hours (who counted?), and it only costs $24.  Anyway, it really comes in handy when I take my dachshund, Willie, who is blind, out in the backyard at night to do his business.  I have a huge fenced in yard that is half grass and half wooded, so I have to walk with Willie, probably more for my sake than his, but I do have to keep an eye out for snakes.  I live in a farming community in South Carolina, so we have some snakes that can ruin your day, and the Coleman Max and my Ruger LCP 380 put my mind at ease.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #65 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:47 PM
So, drunk with Lumen envy I got this..
It is a low cost light, an Ultrafire (apparently...) possibly a variation of their C8 model, with  5 modes (3 intensities and 2 disco  :D ) Visibly, the LED looks like a real XML-T6

The ad http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718384565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 claimed 1300Lm though I expect around 800, as that is what the manufacturer gives.
 http://www.ultrafire.net/showproducts.asp?id=156

You can see beam comparison pictures, in which it is brighter than the Jetbeam BA20 (270Lm) and the LIDLs Livarno.

Came with a charger and two batteries. The charger is supposed to be intelligent and the batteries protected.

One battery was at 3.81V originally and the other at 4.04V.
The charger (LP-101W) charges one battery at a time, which I am happy with, as I do not like to charge batteries together like some chargers do without an individual channel per battery.
When charged the 4.04V stopped at 4.24V (the charger light turned green) but the other one continued, until I checked and it was at 4.27V.
When I plugged it back in the charger went green, so I assume it missed the cut off point the previous time. I thus need to monitor the batteries when they are charging from now on.

General quality is OK, modes work, the threads are fine, there seems to be some gold colour coating on the contacts, the front lens is glass and the reflector is aluminium.

Maybe I will post a better review of it later….
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: February 21, 2012, 07:01:40 PM
Picked up a 5.11 PLx on the weekend. 69 lumens is plenty of light for me. Wish the price was better but $30 isn't bad if it lasts for a couple years. I like it much better than the streamlight stylus pro I gave to the GF.

Stay multi my friends

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:05 PM
So, drunk with Lumen envy I got this..

:D
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #68 on: February 21, 2012, 09:44:30 PM
claimed 1300Lm though I expect around 800, as that is what the manufacturer gives

I'll give you a tip here.

The U2 XM-L can barely manage 1000 lumens when heatsinked properly and driven at 3A

The T6 certainly had a snowball's chance of reaching 1300 lumens.

The stupid ratings these lights ate given drive me up the wall... But at least it's fun when someone shows me their 1300L light and I make it look like a candle in a jam jar with my 500 lumen light!
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #69 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:56 PM
No hint needed.

I am aware of the exageration in lumens.

Cree gives 1000Lm max for that led, so 1300 is not possible.

From the night experimenting I did, indoors and outdoors, 800 seems reasonable. It is significantly brighter than the BA20.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 12:56:24 AM
Just be careful with those 18650's!  Pay attention to their charge and discharge states or they will breathe fire on you; literally.  Even though they say they're protected, be careful anyway.  Those XXX-fire cells use cheap protection circuits that are known to not always work properly.  As soon as you can afford it, upgrade to something like an AW, RediLast, or a Kallie's Kustom.  They'll give you more power, be safer, and give you more usable cycles out of the cell.

No hint needed.

I am aware of the exageration in lumens.

Cree gives 1000Lm max for that led, so 1300 is not possible.

From the night experimenting I did, indoors and outdoors, 800 seems reasonable. It is significantly brighter than the BA20.

As for myself, apart from my SC80c desires right now, I'm jonesing for a Nailbender neutral XML P60 drop in now for my L2X extended...  something like 650 lumens OTF on max!  Woo hoo!   :drool:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:57:59 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:19 AM
Just be careful with those 18650's!  Pay attention to their charge and discharge states or they will breathe fire on you; literally.  Even though they say they're protected, be careful anyway.  Those XXX-fire cells use cheap protection circuits that are known to not always work properly.  As soon as you can afford it, upgrade to something like an AW, RediLast, or a Kallie's Kustom.  They'll give you more power, be safer, and give you more usable cycles out of the cell.

As for myself, apart from my SC80c desires right now, I'm jonesing for a Nailbender neutral XML P60 drop in now for my L2X extended...  something like 650 lumens OTF on max!  Woo hoo!   :drool:

I doubt these cells are protected or give more than 2000mAh, though they claim 3800....  :D

I was going to buy some better batteries, but decided to give these two a chance first, as they were included with the light.

I am aware of the stories on CPF, your favourite forum :D, etc. regarding the 18650s, though from a statistical point of view given the actual number of really bad batteries in use the number of problems seems minimal.

As I wrote, I checked the voltage before, after and in one case during charging just to be on the safe side, though I do not expect them to explode if the voltage goes a bit over 4.24V, as some of the users have convinced themselves will happen  ;) .

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:23 PM
Just ordered a custom HDS systems EDC Rotary 200 with black bezel, flush tail switch and sapphire lens.
They said it would be shipped in about 5 weeks so March is going to be a frustrating month.

Anyone else with love for the HDS torches?
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:12 PM
Very envious mate. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:14 PM
Just ordered a custom HDS systems EDC Rotary 200 with black bezel, flush tail switch and sapphire lens.
They said it would be shipped in about 5 weeks so March is going to be a frustrating month.

Anyone else with love for the HDS torches?

Yes, but I haven't picked up one yet :D

Just got a Fenix PD10 Titan to play with... I have a Ti habit :ahhh
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:55 PM
Nice, i didn't know fenix did titanium additions.
I'm pretty sure i have the same habit, got a Ti Quark Mini on the way too.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 08:23:12 AM
Nice, i didn't know fenix did titanium additions.
I'm pretty sure i have the same habit, got a Ti Quark Mini on the way too.

I'd love one of those.
I'm jealous! :pok:
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 11:06:29 AM
Just ordered a mododular tail cap from oveready. It's going on my custom 3p :D
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #78 on: February 23, 2012, 11:07:37 AM
Also my triple triple is out :(. Can't afford it so I'm going to build a 1d myself with the help of my friend in the maintenance dept.

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:14 PM

I doubt these cells are protected or give more than 2000mAh, though they claim 3800....  :D

I was going to buy some better batteries, but decided to give these two a chance first, as they were included with the light.

I am aware of the stories on CPF, your favourite forum :D, etc. regarding the 18650s, though from a statistical point of view given the actual number of really bad batteries in use the number of problems seems minimal.

As I wrote, I checked the voltage before, after and in one case during charging just to be on the safe side, though I do not expect them to explode if the voltage goes a bit over 4.24V, as some of the users have convinced themselves will happen  ;) .
Agreed... I think the horror stories about li-ion cells are overstated and overblown.  I've only ever bought AW's so far though, so my experience is biased.

I don't want to even get started about CPF...  I still read and post there from time to time, but ugh!  MTO is my online home now!   :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #80 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:32 PM
Heinz, I have now ordered a Panasonic 18650, protected, just to get the best performance out of my torch. I posted some current readings too, in my LIDL light thread.  :tu:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:48 AM
I've had all kinds of batteries. 16340, 18500, 18340, protected and not protect. I charge them and then try to make them blow. Overcharge and over drain. I've haven't had but 1 leak and it was aa size nimh.

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 01:10:07 AM
Heinz, I have now ordered a Panasonic 18650, protected, just to get the best performance out of my torch. I posted some current readings too, in my LIDL light thread.  :tu:
Thanks for the info; I'll check it out.  I've been wanting to try some other brands of cells.  I know that most of the high end 18650 makers like RediLast and AW use the Panasonic core but have their own PCB's and protection circuits in them.  I'm going to need at least two more soon, as I'm planning on getting a Solarforce L2P and a neutral or warm XML module as well.  I'd love to get one of the Nailbender ones, but I've heard that ThruNite makes some nice 3 mode warm XML modules, as does Dereelight. 

Either way, my next lighting puchase is going to be a Solarforce LT1 lantern head attachment.  My wife and I are going to do a short camping trip with our kids over spring break in two weeks, so I want to have the LT1 for that trip.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:27 AM
I picked up an ITP SA2 Eluma recently for work.  I love it, but the lowest setting(said to be 6 lumens) is a retarted setting for a 2AA flashlight.  Waste of a setting if you ask me.

What i do like about it is everything else.  It has a medium and high of 42(or so) lumens and 230 lumens respectively, with a side mounted selector switch, memory(so you can leave it on one setting), and an infinite beam adjuster built in to the switch. 

It also comes with a ridiculously flimsy belt sheath that was soon replaced by my Bianchi Accumolt holster(with modification for lenghth) and a complete tail switch innards replacement.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:46:36 AM by Mercury »
Sean

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:19 PM
I picked up an ITP SA2 Eluma recently for work.  I love it, but the lowest setting(said to be 6 lumens) is a retarted setting for a 2AA flashlight.  Waste of a setting if you ask me.

What i do like about it is everything else.  It has a medium and high of 42(or so) lumens and 230 lumens respectively, with a side mounted selector switch, memory(so you can leave it on one setting), and an infinite beam adjuster built in to the switch. 

It also comes with a ridiculously flimsy belt sheath that was soon replaced by my Bianchi Accumolt holster(with modification for lenghth) and a complete tail switch innards replacement.

I love my SA2 as well.  It's just a shame they're not being made any more (or so I understand) as the iTP brand is gone and there's no Olight equivalent on the cards. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline Digit Al

Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 07:52:46 PM
i use a led lenser P7 at home and a T5 at work.
 :tu:
I regret my inability to speak good english.......
;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #86 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:59 AM

I love my SA2 as well.  It's just a shame they're not being made any more (or so I understand) as the iTP brand is gone and there's no Olight equivalent on the cards. :-\

I didn't realize ITP was gone!  I love their stuff.  Depending on how long this SA2 lasts I may have to pick up another before they get rare.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #87 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:37 AM
Isn't itp just a side brand set up by another flashlight company? Nitecore or somebody else.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: February 25, 2012, 09:17:27 AM
I read  ???  ITP was part owned/bought by olight who was making all its torches and branding them as itp anyway.

They then decided to get rid of the itp brand as a whole and just put the olight brand on the torches they were making and selling as itp..

Doesn't anybody else lurk in CPF and Budjetlights ??  :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #89 on: February 25, 2012, 10:54:40 AM
I make a point to avoid CPF for the most part...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%