Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3061 · 245250

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #90 on: February 25, 2012, 03:08:17 PM
I make a point to avoid CPF for the most part...

why??  ???

:D

I did post a thread from CPF in the "Hijacking death" thread a few days back that makes interesting reading..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #91 on: February 25, 2012, 04:02:29 PM

why??  ???

I did post a thread from CPF in the "Hijacking death" thread a few days back that makes interesting reading..

Me too (avoid the place that is).

I find CPF inconsistent and no longer the friendly place it once was.

Here, if you ask a question that has already been asked, or post in the incorrect section, its ok. Over at CPF, sometimes its ok, sometimes other members jump on you, and sometimes the mods jump on you.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:41 PM

why??  ???

Here, if you ask a question that has already been asked, or post in the incorrect section, its ok. Over at CPF, sometimes its ok, sometimes other members jump on you, and sometimes the mods jump on you.

Exactly.  CPF is just not my type of place, they used to be though.  Same with EDCF.  I used to love that place but now I don't.

ye Offline Sam Quint

Reply #93 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:27 AM
Purchased the Sunwayman L10A last week. I am really enjoying the form factor. Great heatsinking and a constant current driver should produce good runtimes.

I joined CPF in 2001 and left very shortly after the original owner's on-line melt down. Early CPF was a fun and unique place.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:05 AM
The single biggest problem with CPF is they don't tolerate any negative comments about their advertisers. 

I got banned for two weeks for posting that four of the five 4Sevens neutral white lights I've bought from them in the past two years were all green, and that I didn't think they were putting any effort into QC on the tints of their emitters.

I still occasionally read through a few threads there, and make a short post once in a while, but I've pretty much given up on the place.  They're smurf smurfing smurf mongers and they can go smurf themselves for all I care.

why??  ???

Exactly.  CPF is just not my type of place, they used to be though.  Same with EDCF.  I used to love that place but now I don't.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 10:07:00 AM
I have seen the effects of their comment censoring, though I wasn't the one being censored.  I have maybe posted twice over there, but I have lurked and read through their archives quite a bit in the past and was always put off by both the advertisement pandering and the general attitude. 

I know we didn't start a thread on EDCF, but man they have gotten weird lately.  Very stiff feeling.

It all makes me grateful that MTO is here and is the way it is.  It's a rare thing.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:35 AM
I joined CPF in 2001 and left very shortly after the original owner's on-line melt down. Early CPF was a fun and unique place.

:think: We need to look after Grant  :salute:, otherwise the moderators will take over!!!!   :ahhh

:whistle:

I have read CPF and Budgetlightforum a lot lately, just learning some things; though I am not a member in any of them.

Budgetlightforum is smaller and seems more relaxed, though they tend to complain about CPF a lot but still provide links to topics in it when they need too.. CPF appears more like BF in a way, where emphasis is given on having expensive US made equipment and supporting advertisers...
Budgetlightforum accepts users of cheaper, non US lights more and you do not get the standard "save your money and buy this xxxx expensive US made light" answer you usually get when asking about any cheaper torch...

I posted this unusual CPF thread elsewhere here but here it is again:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332544-ExtremeBeam-do-they-claim-way-too-much
I was quite surprised by what was considered acceptable and what unacceptable...

As I said I do read them and get what I need from the forums...

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ye Offline Sam Quint

Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:24 PM

:think: We need to look after Grant  :salute:, otherwise the moderators will take over!!!!   :ahhh

MTO is a oasis! This is one of perhaps five sites that I frequent anymore. And the only one that relates to EDC gear. I found SO many gear forums to be redundant, predictable and very boring. If you don't own this latest and greatest XYZ gear you won't survive the upcoming Zombie a-pork-a-lips and- if I use my EDC it won't be pretty any more -crowds.  ???
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:23:35 PM by Sam Quint »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:06 PM

I have read CPF and Budgetlightforum a lot lately, just learning some things; though I am not a member in any of them.

Budgetlightforum is smaller and seems more relaxed, though they tend to complain about CPF a lot but still provide links to topics in it when they need too.. CPF appears more like BF in a way, where emphasis is given on having expensive US made equipment and supporting advertisers...
Budgetlightforum accepts users of cheaper, non US lights more and you do not get the standard "save your money and buy this xxxx expensive US made light" answer you usually get when asking about any cheaper torch...

I posted this unusual CPF thread elsewhere here but here it is again:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?332544-ExtremeBeam-do-they-claim-way-too-much
I was quite surprised by what was considered acceptable and what unacceptable...

As I said I do read them and get what I need from the forums...

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #99 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
One thing I do respect about Jon over at EDCF, is that when he and Maxpedition got into their tiff, Jon didn't put any pressure on the members to stop buying or fully reviewing Maxped products.  He made his opinions clear but that's all. 

I know I'm kinda the only one talking about EDCF, but I wanted to leave it on a positive note!

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:11 PM
One thing I do respect about Jon over at EDCF, is that when he and Maxpedition got into their tiff, Jon didn't put any pressure on the members to stop buying or fully reviewing Maxped products.  He made his opinions clear but that's all. 

I know I'm kinda the only one talking about EDCF, but I wanted to leave it on a positive note!

I agree with your earlier comments about there being a "stiff" feeling at EDCF.  My experience is that unless you're part of their clique anything you might post will just be ignored or simply deleted.  The vast majority of posts there don't seem to be very helpful, in other words, when someone posts asking for info or with a question, there never seems to be any straight answer given.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #101 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:57 AM
There is a whole lotta "You should have looked here before posting" crap. 

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: February 27, 2012, 03:27:41 AM
+1.  Exactly.  That's what I was trying to say, just couldn't think of how to say it! :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #103 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:59 AM
+1.  Exactly.  That's what I was trying to say, just couldn't think of how to say it! :)

That type of thing drives me nuts.  I understand why they do it, but it's still rude the WAY they do it.  If I want to know something, it's easier to ask than it is to peruse an archive, that's why you ask!  If it's a painfully obvious thing, then our MO should be followed ie "here is your answer, and for future reference here is a link to a lot more information on the same topic".  This eliminates multiple threads in a much nicer way.  That way even a google search will provide links to additional info through one or two threads.  Why people have to be rude about it is beyond me.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #104 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:53 PM
Too many pointless rules and people who enjoy patronising others doth not a happy forum maketh ;)

MTO is home as far as I'm concerned, regardless where else I read/post. I have made a couple of friends on other forums, but it's rare compared to the great peeps I know through this joint :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #105 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:58 AM

That type of thing drives me nuts.  I understand why they do it, but it's still rude the WAY they do it.  If I want to know something, it's easier to ask than it is to peruse an archive, that's why you ask!  If it's a painfully obvious thing, then our MO should be followed ie "here is your answer, and for future reference here is a link to a lot more information on the same topic".  This eliminates multiple threads in a much nicer way.  That way even a google search will provide links to additional info through one or two threads.  Why people have to be rude about it is beyond me.

Agreed!  Maybe I want up to date information, or maybe I have already done the searching and simply not found the information I was looking for, not to mention that engaging in conversation through these threads is the only way to meet people in these venues.  Just my 2 cents worth.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #106 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:43 AM
That is why I was strongly against introducing the "beating the dead horse" icon to this forum.

In any forum that has been running for a few years practically everything would have been discussed in one way or another, but new opinions, equipment, reviews etc are allways usefull.

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: February 28, 2012, 09:21:33 AM
Too many pointless rules and people who enjoy patronising others doth not a happy forum maketh ;)

MTO is home as far as I'm concerned, regardless where else I read/post. I have made a couple of friends on other forums, but it's rare compared to the great peeps I know through this joint :cheers:
Well said!   :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: February 28, 2012, 09:45:00 PM
Okay, let me apologize for derailing this by getting things back on track here!  :)

Today I received the Solarforce LT1 lantern head attachment I ordered last week.  Also got a lanyard ring too.  I'm going to put it on my L2R with my Lumens Factory HCRI module in it and see how it works.  I'll report in later with some pics.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #109 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:19 PM
Just got a couple of new lights:
A new Jetbeam RRT-2 XML and a used but very tidy Surefire U2 Ultra.

I've wanted a U2 for over 4 years, ever since i first read the old 2007 catalog, looking through it to find their best torch for my needs and although it's quoted output is only 100 lumens it's certainly not junk even compared to the Jetbeams stated 460 lumens in a garden lighting contest (surefire must have had the most conservative output figures of any manufacturer).

Both lights have a selector ring (with the U2 being the first to ever have one?) which i much refer to clicky modes. In fact they really are quite similar, almost as if the Jetbeam is the true evolutionary result of the original Surefire, taking the best aspects of it such as power, quality and user interface while reducing some of the negatives like the insane price which the U2s official replacement, the UM2, will completely fail to do i'm sure.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #110 on: March 03, 2012, 08:27:41 PM
I just picked up a Jetbeam PA40.  Damn you guys for talking about them here... I just couldn't resist.

It's a pretty impressive light.  A lot more flood than I expected.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #111 on: March 03, 2012, 09:33:13 PM
I wanted an U2 really bad when it was new on the market, probably the most impressive light that came out for quite some time. Never got around to though with the high price, even on secondary markets.

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:21 PM
The light I'm jonesing for most right now is the Zebralight SC80c. 

I also want a Dereelight XML T4 warm P60 module as well.  600 Lumens OTF of warm tinted goodness!

Offline andix

• New User
Reply #113 on: March 11, 2012, 07:15:48 AM
Streamlight Sidewinder 2AA. Actually I am using all its functions, and the swivel head is awesome. Nothing else you could ask from a task light. For throw, I still have the Fenix TK-15 (meh...)

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #114 on: March 13, 2012, 06:18:54 PM
I was browsing through several internet pages about small. powerful 1 X AAA size flashlights for quite some time and time and again the Maratac AAA (80 lumens) flashlight came up. Since it is not available here in South Africa, I ordered it yesterday. Apart from the small size and moderately high power for such a small light, it is of Stainless steel and therefor not so much prone to wear than aluminum, so I bought it.

Seems to me the ordinary 1 X AAA lights are generally poorly coated and wear down quickly. The better grade coated ones are so expensive that I am not willing to pay as much.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #115 on: March 13, 2012, 06:21:38 PM
Romisen RC-K4
IMG_7613.JPG
* IMG_7613.JPG (Filesize: 153.65 KB)
IMG_7607.JPG
* IMG_7607.JPG (Filesize: 192.52 KB)

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #116 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:26 PM
Fenix PD32 running off an 18650 battery, joins my EDC rotation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:12:55 PM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline tony3131

• New User
Reply #117 on: April 06, 2012, 08:41:34 AM
I got a small,  green,powerful flashlight on  a online store,beautiful.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #118 on: April 12, 2012, 05:07:23 PM
Trustfire TR-3T6  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

...I am sure I must have same inadequacy somewhere to get this...  :facepalm:

I will write some more about it soon
IMG_7962.JPG
* IMG_7962.JPG (Filesize: 102.07 KB)
IMG_7945.JPG
* IMG_7945.JPG (Filesize: 100.31 KB)
IMG_7950.JPG
* IMG_7950.JPG (Filesize: 216.65 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:47 PM
Just added an ITP A3 EOS to my car keys
Thanks Nuphoria  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00