Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The small blade?

00 Offline Harris

Re: The small blade?
Reply #120 on: August 24, 2018, 05:54:21 AM
Oh, I use the small pen blade a lot.  However, the other day I needed to cut some flexible irrigation hose from a fitting.  The small blade got through it, but it got me to thinking about how much better a sheeps foot blade is for that type of task.  Heaven forbid, I even started looking at stockman patterns as a possible replacement to my trusty Spartan.  I came to my senses before being anything, but I sure would like to get ahold of one of those blades from the Radio Shack Electrician.   

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #121 on: August 24, 2018, 05:57:48 AM
I would carry an alox electrician or apprentice more often if it had a key ring.  I'm so used to using el pocket clip now it feels weird with out it.  Have you thought about the electrician?

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Harris

Reply #122 on: August 24, 2018, 06:12:10 AM
Yes, I have.  I carried a 61 Soldier for decades.  The problem is I like having the can opener.  I have really come to prefer the 91mm, 2-Llayer, Cellidor models.  Although, I actually remove the key ring stud.  If I can get ahold of one of the Radio Shack knives I will remove the sheeps foot and have it installed in a Spartan.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:14:45 AM by Harris »

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #123 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:44 AM
 :drool: Mmm, Spartan with sheepsfoot...

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: August 24, 2018, 08:33:04 AM
I would like to see the sheeps-foot blade from the Radio Shack Electrician on a Spartan or Tinker as a replacement for the small pen blade, or even as the only blade on a Compact or Walker.

+10

That's an excellent idea right there  :cheers:

Never quote understand why Vic never thought of this for some models. Especially the Tinkers, they could be much more and actually "Tinker-ish" than they are on lots of tools. Most of the difference between the other models is only the inclusion of the Philips on the back instead of the CS.
I have to give it to Wenger, they where a lot more inventive and adventurous there....  :think:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:34:15 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #125 on: August 24, 2018, 12:38:23 PM
Good reason for a two-blade SAK. One of the problems with the Classic is that it only has a large blade.  ;)
Which is why the Executive was born.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline cody6268

Reply #126 on: August 24, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
I would carry an alox electrician or apprentice more often if it had a key ring.  I'm so used to using el pocket clip now it feels weird with out it.  Have you thought about the electrician?
a
I like SAKs without the lanyard ring, but the TL-29 and hawkbill, both patterns traditionally carried by linemen and electricians have huge bails you can put any kind of cord/rope through (when I'm working around the farm, I usually secure them by means of a carabiner to my belt).   So you'd think the Electrician and Apprentice would have a keyring to prevent loss, as they're largely intended for use by the same people as the TL-29 and hawkbill.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #127 on: August 24, 2018, 06:54:30 PM
a
I like SAKs without the lanyard ring, but the TL-29 and hawkbill, both patterns traditionally carried by linemen and electricians have huge bails you can put any kind of cord/rope through (when I'm working around the farm, I usually secure them by means of a carabiner to my belt).   So you'd think the Electrician and Apprentice would have a keyring to prevent loss, as they're largely intended for use by the same people as the TL-29 and hawkbill.

:imws:

I like being able to hang my knives from belt loops or pocket clips. It's also good to be able to have some lanyard, albeit small, to increase grip or use as wrist loop, to prevent dropping the knife.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #128 on: August 24, 2018, 08:30:13 PM
 :iagree:

I’d rather have and not need, than to need and not have. If you don’t like it, grind it off.

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #129 on: March 06, 2019, 01:56:17 AM
... still, I like to keep- if 2 blades- the small one un-used, for various reasons....  :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: March 06, 2019, 04:16:41 AM
I don't use the small blade much but there are tasks that it performs better then the large. I like to keep it razor sharp for when I do use it.

I keep it super sharp for tasks like cutting my cigars.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: March 06, 2019, 12:08:57 PM
Big for food, small for dirty stuff.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: March 06, 2019, 05:14:50 PM
Big for food, small for dirty stuff.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

This plus a zillion or two!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: March 06, 2019, 06:04:45 PM
:tu: :tu: :tu:

This plus a zillion or two!

One more here for the small blade for primary use.  I use the main blade for food...and mostly to cut sandwiches and burgers at picnics and BBQs.

I think there should be more options for the the blades to be swapped. Small blades on the main blade side only need the proper spacer from the factory. I'd buy knives with a small blade and a pruner or electrician blade. Small + Pruner is on my list of upcoming mods now that I have a few donors in stock.  What I'd really like is a gardener sized Hawkbill and the small pen blade.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #134 on: March 06, 2019, 06:56:06 PM
I use the small blade mainly to open blister packs. Less chance to damage the item inside. Same applies to open packages, even though i mainly use the can opener  on my wenger classic for that purpose nowadays.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #135 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:04 PM
I reserve the small blade for fine and intricate cutting, and keep it as sharp as possible.

I find the 84mm and 91mm large blades too small and too awkward for general food prep. The extra belly of the 85mm knives works much better for cutting and slicing on a board, but the blade is still often too short.

If I need a SAK for food prep I use a 111mm instead.

Rambler

us Offline TonySal

Reply #136 on: March 07, 2019, 12:53:27 AM
I feel another useless poll coming on but I'll spare you guys  :rofl:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: March 07, 2019, 01:39:28 AM
I like to keep the edge bevel on the small blade ridiculously thin, around 6 degrees per side or less and hair-splittingly sharp. If used gently it makes a multitude of cutting tasks really easy.
If it touches your skin though, you bleed :ahhh

us Offline TonySal

Reply #138 on: March 07, 2019, 01:41:34 AM
I like to keep the edge bevel on the small blade ridiculously thin, around 6 degrees per side or less and hair-splittingly sharp. If used gently it makes a multitude of cutting tasks really easy.
If it touches your skin though, you bleed :ahhh

What do you use to sharpen?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: March 07, 2019, 01:47:48 AM
DMT diamond hones for profiling and sharpening dullish edges and finish on a Spyderco ultra-fine ceramic that I lapped with a DMT fine hone to make it even smoother, crazy sharp.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:37 AM

One more here for the small blade for primary use.  I use the main blade for food...and mostly to cut sandwiches and burgers at picnics and BBQs.

I think there should be more options for the the blades to be swapped. Small blades on the main blade side only need the proper spacer from the factory. I'd buy knives with a small blade and a pruner or electrician blade. Small + Pruner is on my list of upcoming mods now that I have a few donors in stock.  What I'd really like is a gardener sized Hawkbill and the small pen blade.

How hard would it be to make a two layer with big+small and pruner+electrician with an awl on the back? That would be one heck of a lot of cutting utility in a small package.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:20 AM
How hard would it be to make a two layer with big+small and pruner+electrician with an awl on the back? That would be one heck of a lot of cutting utility in a small package.

Not hard at all with the right donor parts. Pre-'85 spring would be easiest and would only need the right spacers for both blades ~0.5mm for both sides. If a knife layer spring is used, then 1mm spacers could be used and the awl would need a ~0.5mm spacer too. 

I think it would be a good knife...
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: March 07, 2019, 05:38:25 PM

Well, it wouldn't be SAK, but something like a Case Congress already packs four blades into one smallish knife.  There are even a few 5-blade trappers and sowbellys floating around, but I believe they were all special runs.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:20 PM
Well, it wouldn't be SAK, but something like a Case Congress already packs four blades into one smallish knife.  There are even a few 5-blade trappers and sowbellys floating around, but I believe they were all special runs.

True but these four blades are IMO a better overall package and of course you get the package of super stainless, easy to sharpen and great form factor.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #144 on: March 09, 2019, 02:35:23 AM
DMT diamond hones for profiling and sharpening dullish edges and finish on a Spyderco ultra-fine ceramic that I lapped with a DMT fine hone to make it even smoother, crazy sharp.
...thanks,  Google now...  :tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #145 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:51 PM
I could live without the small blade BUT its sure nice to have when the right application ( as mentioned ) comes up  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
The doggone small blade.  I say I would not miss it yet in some applications its nice.  Looking over the usage of my small blade I can say with a bit more gusto that I would not miss it.  My Wenger PTC or 58mm blade are far more precision.  I am thinking the nail file would be best in place of. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: May 22, 2019, 07:36:31 PM
Today I found the neighbour had chucked a chair out in front of their door. Totally collapsed but the wood was all unbroken. Just seperated at the joints. I knocked on and offered to put it back together for them, she's a single mother with 6 kids and I know money is very tight. Anyway back on topic, I used the little blade to cut and pry out the old glue and clean up the joints. It wasn't well put together to start with methinks and I needed to do a lot of work to get it all back together. It was dirty work, lots of old glue and lots of new glue all over the thing. Wipe off afterwards and still use the big blade to cut up buns and pickles for my hotdog supper.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: May 22, 2019, 07:40:04 PM
Today I found the neighbour had chucked a chair out in front of their door. Totally collapsed but the wood was all unbroken. Just seperated at the joints. I knocked on and offered to put it back together for them, she's a single mother with 6 kids and I know money is very tight. Anyway back on topic, I used the little blade to cut and pry out the old glue and clean up the joints. It wasn't well put together to start with methinks and I needed to do a lot of work to get it all back together. It was dirty work, lots of old glue and lots of new glue all over the thing. Wipe off afterwards and still use the big blade to cut up buns and pickles for my hotdog supper.

Random kindness always is the best.  :cheers:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #149 on: May 22, 2019, 09:55:27 PM

Nice work pomsbz!  :hatsoff:
Semper Fortis

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44