Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The small blade?

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Re: The small blade?
Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 01:17:40 PM
I... much prefer the nail file/cleaner combo in place of the small blade. The non sharp metal edge comes in useful when you want to extract things without cutting. I can do what I need with the large blade... even though I recognise it can be overkill :)

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
:like:

The small blade is my go-to blade too.  Gets used for pretty much everything, leaving the large blade free for mostly just food prep.

Find myself following the same path.
"The older I get, the better I was".

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 03:11:33 PM
Different sizes, different shapes, different functions.

See "Why do some pocket knives have multiple blades?" at  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69552.0.html

DSC04599-oeteldonk-alox.jpg
* DSC04599-oeteldonk-alox.jpg (Filesize: 202.75 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 07:13:37 PM
This is a very interesting topic--many thanks to MacGyver for resurrecting it!

I read each of the posts and was intrigued at the statement that the original purpose of the small blade was as an eraser.  I am well-acquainted with the purported use of soldiers using the small blade for utility purposes and the large blade for food preparation.  This makes perfect sense.  I am also familiar with the main blade & backup blade concept.

My own viewpoint, is that the strategy for using the blades is driven by requirements and preference.  My own requirements are utility use (no food preparation) and since I have a plethora of SAKs to call upon, there is no need for a backup blade.  This leaves preference as my main driver and I prefer to use the main blade.  Since I tend to baby my SAKs, there is no danger of damaging SAK tools with prying tasks.

These days, I use the razor-sharp small blade to score/cut the decorative packaging of a container of dried fruit such that the decorative packaging is left intact.  I then use the can opener to quickly remove the plastic container seal.  Although I use the main blade over the small blade 90% of the time, I regularly use the other tools (some days, I use the other tools and have no need to use either blade).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:05 PM
I like using the minichamp's small balde to open food packages at the theater or car traveling, chip bags when I am with friends, family or at meetings, or cutting straws, tape, wire and sharpening pencils

I tend to use the mini wharncliffe blade to open parcels and packages, mail and bigger envelopes, scraping and draw cutting (in box-cutter or utility knife scenarios) as well as flower/plant/twig cutting and trimming around the house
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 09:59:17 AM
Different sizes, different shapes, different functions.

See "Why do some pocket knives have multiple blades?" at  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69552.0.html

+1  :salute:

I also use the small blade a lot. I use small blades for opening packages and cutting tape (always leaves residue, I don't what that on my main blade), pruning blades for precision, and electrician blade for some of the more rough work (it's very sturdy and the tip isn't so vulnerable).
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:18 AM

I also use the small blade a lot. I use small blades for opening packages and cutting tape (always leaves residue, I don't what that on my main blade), pruning blades for precision, and electrician blade for some of the more rough work (it's very sturdy and the tip isn't so vulnerable).

I'm used to that sticky residue on my knife, some white spirit will make short work of it.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Small blade is my main blade, why there is the larger one?
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 05:31:29 PM
I use the main blade most of the time, but wouldn't want to miss the small one!
I keep the small one crazy sharp for emergency use. It's great for cutting small stuff and removing foreighn objects from the skinn/flesh. Like splinters.
It's also great if you don't want to scare anyone if you need to pull a blade out.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 05:36:37 PM
I also use the small blade as a spare blade.  I'll use it to cut in more delicate/fine applications.  I wouldnt miss it tho. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Danjo

Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 07:40:17 PM
I also use the small blade as a spare blade.  I'll use it to cut in more delicate/fine applications.  I wouldn't miss it tho. 
I also use it for operations that require greater control/precision and as a backup.

As far as missing it goes, I think I would, only because I count on having it there. I always carry three SAKs every day. 1) Classic SD on my key-ring, 2) Tinker in my right front pants pocket, 3) One that I constantly rotate in my left front pants pocket. I only have 15 SAKs currently (1 Classic, 3 Tinkers, 2 Spartans, Huntsman, Camper, 1 Explorer, 1 Pioneer, 1 Floral, 1 Evogrip 14, 1 Evo 63, 1 Evo 10, and 1 Traveler). In order to experiment and keep it fresh, I rotate the left one (unless I forget).

So, here's my point about the small blade: Since I always carry my Tinker and Classic, I'm always counting on the tool set they have. My subconscious mind just takes those tools for granted when looking at and evaluating any task. Since the small blade is on the Tinker, it's always in my mind as a possible option to use and rely on, so I would definitely miss it if it were not there. The variety of tools that the other SAKs have, are cool and i DO use them, but they are always like a pleasant surprise, one of those, "Oh, yeah! I have have one of those on me today!" type of things.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:56:48 PM by Danjo »
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 08:41:03 PM
I've used the small blade as my main blade for years, saving the large blade for tasks it's better suited for.
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:56 AM
While I want to see the hawkbill or sheepsfoot profile blades on more models (preferably sticking the layer that seems to be exclusive to the larger SwissChamps on more, thinner and less expensive models, but one or the other replacing the small blade on some is acceptable), I can't go without the small blade.  It's what I use for most jobs.   Only when it's a big job to I use the big blade--like cutting a piece of rope.   I use both blades a lot, and keep both equally as sharp.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 01:16:18 AM
While I want to see the hawkbill or sheepsfoot profile blades on more models (preferably sticking the layer that seems to be exclusive to the larger SwissChamps on more, thinner and less expensive models, but one or the other replacing the small blade on some is acceptable), I can't go without the small blade.  It's what I use for most jobs.   Only when it's a big job to I use the big blade--like cutting a piece of rope.   I use both blades a lot, and keep both equally as sharp.

Congrats on making the no life club!   :cheers:

You're the second one today.   :ahhh   Watch out for the chicken...   :punishmentchicken:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:38 AM
 :tu: :tu: !!
Barry

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 10:42:14 AM
Same as Mac404 below, for emergencies only.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:16 AM

You're the second one today.   :ahhh   Watch out for the chicken...   :punishmentchicken:

Okay, who's got the lard?  >:D

Congrats on the NLC, Cody! :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 12:46:51 PM

Okay, who's got the lard?  >:D

Congrats on the NLC, Cody! :cheers:

+1, welcome :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 08:49:14 PM
I use the small blade the most. It is particularly handy for opening cardboard boxes and cutting the flaps off of them. I save the large blade for the jobs that would require a longer blade.

I used to use the large blade the most, but I finally realized that, for most of the things I do, the small blade works great, and it does not scare people who are not used to being around knives.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 10:14:16 PM
I use the small blade the most. It is particularly handy for opening cardboard boxes and cutting the flaps off of them. I save the large blade for the jobs that would require a longer blade.

I used to use the large blade the most, but I finally realized that, for most of the things I do, the small blade works great, and it does not scare people who are not used to being around knives.

Agree. Small blade is good when you give the tool for someone else to handle also.

I also mainly use the small blade, sure the large blade is better slicer, but I rarely do that.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 08:31:11 PM
I don't use the small blade much but there are tasks that it performs better then the large. I like to keep it razor sharp for when I do use it.
IMG_20170304_104045.jpg
* IMG_20170304_104045.jpg (Filesize: 130.46 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #51 on: March 05, 2017, 01:07:25 AM
I use it to sharpen pencils, as it's less bulky and messy than the large blade... Also, as I use it less, it's considerably sharper, which helps a lot! I also use it to cut paper sometimes, when I'm too lazy to use the scissors  :P
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 12:53:38 AM
I use it to sharpen pencils, as it's less bulky and messy than the large blade... Also, as I use it less, it's considerably sharper, which helps a lot! I also use it to cut paper sometimes, when I'm too lazy to use the scissors  :P

Any knife I have with a 2nd small blade, I leave that blade clean, sharp, not used... have yet to figure out why but I do....ok to start jokes now  :pok:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 01:42:47 AM
I use mine mostly to sharpen my pencils and small work, like cutting paper and stuff. The large blade I use for more "demanding" tasks, like cutting and sharpening little branches, etc.
So I use the small blade way more than the large one. Also it's less intimidating. And when the large goes dull, there's always a backup!
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 01:50:09 AM

I use mine mostly to sharpen my pencils and small work, like cutting paper and stuff. The large blade I use for more "demanding" tasks, like cutting and sharpening little branches, etc.
So I use the small blade way more than the large one. Also it's less intimidating. And when the large goes dull, there's always a backup!

:think:
 :D
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 04:27:10 AM

:think:
 :D
That moment you realize you replied twice to the same thread. Saying the same thing with different words. :twak:

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:36 AM
At least his story wasn't completely different. That would be interesting...

Danielle
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 04:51:39 AM
I find it interesting that some of the YouTube videos that I have watched on SAK reviews criticize the presence of two blades.  My understanding is that the larger blade was used by the Swiss Army for food preparation and the smaller for utility purposes.  I don't need the food preparation function since our household knives do just fine. :)
I do enjoy using the large blade for most of my utility needs.  I keep the smaller blade razor sharp and use it for some specialized tasks including cutting the plastic wrapping of a dried fruit container so that the wrapping's art work in left intact on the container (takes a really sharp knife). 

I definitely appreciate having a really sharp small blade.

:climber:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:27 AM
I find it interesting that some of the YouTube videos that I have watched on SAK reviews criticize the presence of two blades.  My understanding is that the larger blade was used by the Swiss Army for food preparation and the smaller for utility purposes.  I don't need the food preparation function since our household knives do just fine. :)
I do enjoy using the large blade for most of my utility needs.  I keep the smaller blade razor sharp and use it for some specialized tasks including cutting the plastic wrapping of a dried fruit container so that the wrapping's art work in left intact on the container (takes a really sharp knife). 

I definitely appreciate having a really sharp small blade.

:climber:
Just pointing out that the SAKs used by the Swiss Army have one blade.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 11:46:18 AM
Just pointing out that the SAKs used by the Swiss Army have one blade.  :whistle:

For them that is the small blade, the large one is their bayonet :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%