Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The small blade?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: The small blade?
Reply #60 on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:50 PM
Just pointing out that the SAKs used by the Swiss Army have one blade.  :whistle:

For them that is the small blade, the large one is their bayonet :)
:doh:
Thanks for pointing that out.
 :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 12:50:23 PM
Just pointing out that the SAKs used by the Swiss Army have one blade.  :whistle:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 02:30:24 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:D :D :D :D
Honest, it was an accident.  :facepalm:
A happy glorious accident.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

es Offline Aligator

Reply #63 on: April 20, 2017, 07:21:25 PM
I have it used for fishing gear.
Large enough to cut the line without using the other blade.
I reserve the large leaf for food

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 04:24:57 AM

I fear the awl/all jokes will be back!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 09:30:19 AM

I fear the awl/all jokes will be back!

Oh no.... Awl could you think that...  >:D
:whistle:                                                      :whistle:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

au Online Brock O Lee

Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:24 PM
I always carry a larger Spyderco with the Pioneer X. I use the smaller blade of the two (the one on the Pioneer) mostly around the sheeple, or for tasks where I will severely dull a blade, because it sharpens easier.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:57 PM
Interesting how we all have different perceptions of a "small blade".  :drink:

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #68 on: April 21, 2017, 06:10:45 PM
 :worthless:
IMG_0499.JPG
* IMG_0499.JPG (Filesize: 154.51 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: April 21, 2017, 07:29:43 PM
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #70 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:00 AM
Back up blade in case the other goes dull ... which is code for I don't use it  ;)

To be honest I feel the combo tool, the alox awl, and the wenger nail file are all better accompanyments to the main blade

Five and a half years later, and I'm still of the same opinion.

I really liked the Climber and Climber Small, but was slightly irritated by the redundant small blade, which is why I started getting fixated on the Wenger Traveller variations. Having the nail file instead of the small blade made a lot more sense.

Lately, it's been mostly the modified DofE that gets the pocket time. Surprising really, considering I nearly always go for a corkscrew over a backspring Phillips - except if I'm carrying the Mega84, which has both. The Mega84 also has two main blades, one plain, one serrated, neither of which is paired with a small blade. The 93mm awl and nail file fill the space much better. I am a fan of the Compact too, but that resides permanently in a FAK.

The only one I carry where I really value the addition of the smaller blade is the Original Outdoorsman. The small pruner blade, makes a good companion blade to the main serrated one, and is an excellent package opener too.

As an aside, the reason I never quite committed to building a Mega91 was the riddle of the awl and the openers. If I add a 93mm awl, I don't have the combo tool, so I need the opener layer, which has another awl. If I have the combo tool, I don't need the opener layer, and don't end up with either awl. It's like the scissors vs awl decision on most of the Leatherman range. I did have a cunning plan to use the small backspring technician's driver in the rear awl slot, but that meant faffing around with custom washers, so I never bothered....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
SNIP
As an aside, the reason I never quite committed to building a Mega91 was the riddle of the awl and the openers. If I add a 93mm awl, I don't have the combo tool, so I need the opener layer, which has another awl. If I have the combo tool, I don't need the opener layer, and don't end up with either awl. It's like the scissors vs awl decision on most of the Leatherman range. I did have a cunning plan to use the small backspring technician's driver in the rear awl slot, but that meant faffing around with custom washers, so I never bothered....
Whats wrong with two awls?  :climber: :D

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 11:37:30 AM
Same thing as two plain edged blades  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 01:58:38 PM
Back up blade in case the other goes dull ... which is code for I don't use it  ;)

To be honest I feel the combo tool, the alox awl, and the wenger nail file are all better accompanyments to the main blade

Five and a half years later, and I'm still of the same opinion.

I really liked the Climber and Climber Small, but was slightly irritated by the redundant small blade, which is why I started getting fixated on the Wenger Traveller variations. Having the nail file instead of the small blade made a lot more sense.

Lately, it's been mostly the modified DofE that gets the pocket time. Surprising really, considering I nearly always go for a corkscrew over a backspring Phillips - except if I'm carrying the Mega84, which has both. The Mega84 also has two main blades, one plain, one serrated, neither of which is paired with a small blade. The 93mm awl and nail file fill the space much better. I am a fan of the Compact too, but that resides permanently in a FAK.

The only one I carry where I really value the addition of the smaller blade is the Original Outdoorsman. The small pruner blade, makes a good companion blade to the main serrated one, and is an excellent package opener too.

My opinion is still the same all the way from the beginning, my Sak's got to have A- the small blade, B- the standard opening layer. I would only consider something redundant if it's exactly the same as another, in the case of the small blade the size is totally different  ;)

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #74 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:10 PM
I use the small pen blade more than any other blade or tool. I love the Pioneer and Cadet and the made reason I don't use them more is he lack of a small pen blade.  To me the file on my cadet is just about useless. The file on finger nail clippers works better. My most carried SAK is the Tourist, just because of the pen blade.
Perception is reality

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #75 on: May 14, 2017, 02:08:12 PM
I use the small pen blade more than any other blade or tool. I love the Pioneer and Cadet and the made reason I don't use them more is he lack of a small pen blade.  To me the file on my cadet is just about useless. The file on finger nail clippers works better. My most carried SAK is the Tourist, just because of the pen blade.
Glad to find someone that shared my opinion on this.  I'm actually trying to find someone to mod my Cadet for this exact reason.  I want the nail file replaced with the small blade of a Recruit.

How do you like that Tourist?  That's next on my list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: May 14, 2017, 02:36:32 PM
Coming from traditionals I bought my Pruner specifically for the blade options. The big one for food, the small for opening stuff. I sometimes use the larger blade for utility stuff too but that little pruner is a wicked opening blade for packaging and it leaves the big blade gunk free for when I want to eat with it.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Gardel

Reply #77 on: May 14, 2017, 07:34:41 PM
Large blade: Mostly used for picnic-type food while on the go.

Small blade: This length is all I need for almost everything I use a knife for on a daily basis other than food. I use this for most non-food things. Keeps the large blade "clean." If carrying a one-blade knife like an Opinel, I'll usually also carry a Classic SAK or peanut slipjoint to fill this role.

Nail file: Mostly a waste of space. I have no problem maintaining my nails at home so no need to perform a mid-day on-the-go manicure. Any blade works well for cleaning dirt from under the nails if necessary. Easy to stuff a pair of nail clippers or more efficient full-size nail file in the luggage when traveling.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:08:27 PM by Gardel »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #78 on: May 14, 2017, 08:13:44 PM
I'm more of a collector than user of SAKs, generally speaking.  That said, I've encountered countless small blades with bent tips (large blades too, for that matter but to a lesser degree).  I always assumed that people were misusing/abusing their SAKs to achieve such damage.  After doing considerable amount of whittling and wood working over the past few months, I have realized that the small blades bend fairly easily.    One must exercise caution when cutting anything dense/hard at all.  For soft wood and a light touch, it's great for whittling but anything more and you run a risk of bending.

Just this corkscrew's opinion.

:cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:19 PM
the small blade on my Nylon (I want to say Recruit?) saw plenty of use in its day. It's a great blade - Opening boxes you don't want to stab the contents of, doing things with the tip that the "large" blade might give too much mechanical advantage to (and you end up snapping it...) cleaning under your fingernails  :whistle:

Good stuff!

(The Awl on a Soldier does all of those things to, so why they make Recruits at all is beyond me... ??? )

Edit: I just checked my post (circa 2008 ) when I got the Recruit (Apparently Called a Squatter in Nylon form) - It was replacing a Stockman as EDC, so I went from Three Blades to Two, and now I carry an SI with One blade.

At this rate, I won't be carrying a blade at all by 2026!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:38:41 PM by Sea Monster »

us Offline TonySal

Reply #80 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:59 AM

Small blade: This length is all I need for almost everything I use a knife for on a daily basis other than food. I use this for most non-food things. Keeps the large blade "clean." If carrying a one-blade knife like an Opinel, I'll usually also carry a Classic SAK or peanut slipjoint to fill this role.

Nail file: Mostly a waste of space. I have no problem maintaining my nails at home so no need to perform a mid-day on-the-go manicure. Any blade works well for cleaning dirt from under the nails if necessary. Easy to stuff a pair of nail clippers or more efficient full-size nail file in the luggage when traveling.

Nail file comment!  Agree lololol
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Gardel

Reply #81 on: May 15, 2017, 05:17:33 AM

Did a Google search for "Swiss Army Knife manicure" thinking I'd find a photo of a lady using a SAK to do her nails. Instead, this came up! Gotta be a forum member. :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:24:25 AM by Gardel »

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #82 on: May 15, 2017, 05:43:36 AM
Glad to find someone that shared my opinion on this.  I'm actually trying to find someone to mod my Cadet for this exact reason.  I want the nail file replaced with the small blade of a Recruit.

How do you like that Tourist?  That's next on my list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I love the Recruit but rarely carry one because the Tourist is the same size with the added benefit of the cork screw and awl.  I could easily live without the corkscrew and awl if they would make the Cadet with a small blade.

Question for modders:  Could I replace the nail file with a Recruit pen blade, and do it by only removing one pin??
Perception is reality

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: May 15, 2017, 12:50:05 PM

+10!!  :salute:

Since i always carry an alox classic on my keys, i don't need or care for a nail file on my main sak's. Even more so if it sacrifices the small blade.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:51:46 PM by MacGyver »

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #84 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:40 AM
I just scrolled though the topic list and read The smell blade?"  :facepalm:
I guess we'll leave that for another topic.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #85 on: May 16, 2017, 07:11:04 PM

Smell it, Jack!

PS This is Jack Nicholson in the movie Chinatown. Don't try this at home!
smell-blade.jpg
* smell-blade.jpg (Filesize: 55.96 KB)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:15:06 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #86 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:47 PM

Smell it, Jack!

PS This is Jack Nicholson in the movie Chinatown. Don't try this at home!

:rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #87 on: May 17, 2017, 09:00:37 AM

Yep. It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.  :whistle:
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline TonySal

Reply #88 on: May 18, 2017, 03:09:41 AM

Yep. It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.  :whistle:

So its not the size of the ship, its the motion of the ocean?!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #89 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:20 AM
 :pok: are we still here. I stand by my original.... small blade kept for fine work only, nice.......
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD