Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight for the girlfriend?

5hif7y · 13 · 2199

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Flashlight for the girlfriend?
on: December 30, 2011, 11:48:58 PM
hay all

i need a little help finding a flashlight for the girlfriend for when im not at home and she wants to walk the dog at night. it doesn't have to be super bright as its not that dark everywhere, there are just some dark pathways and its nice to be able to see the grass when crossing a field so you don't tread in poo.

as for specifications ill say 90 lumens minimum output, needs to be AA or AAA batteries (because i can get those for free  :D), it will need to be pocket carry because she wont bother if it needs a belt holster, would be better if it was a clicky instead of twist operation, and i cant spend much more that £40/50 on it as we don't really have to money to start with. 

i like the look of the Led Lenser P7. its a bit hight in my price range and might be a little to big for the pocket but has a impressive 200 lumens output and 130 hours runtime. has anyone had any experience with these?
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/led-lenser/led-lenser-p7.html

im also considering a EAGLETAC D25A MINI for good price, size, output. the only downside is no clicky.any thoughts?
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/eagletac.html

i did have some other ideas but i want to hear your thoughts?

oh and if it could come in different colours then that would make her happy, shes not a big fan of the tactial black look. its not a major though

all suggestions welcome, thanks in advanced guys
-----5hif7y-----

Offline space cowboy

Re: Flashlight for the girlfriend?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:11:54 PM
Romisen RC-G2 single AA battery & comes in black or grey. About 100 lumens & plenty bright for dog walking. Shining Beam carries up gr
aded models or you can get one from DX & take your chances. Actually its a pretty blue/grey body.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:16:24 PM by space cowboy »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:30:30 AM
Klarus make some nice lights.

This is a simple 2 mode light.

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/klarus-p1a.html

For £1 more, you can get the 2AA version if required.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:43:35 AM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:51 AM
4Sevens have the high CRI Preon 1 and 2 available right now; great little lights.  Don't buy the neutral or the cool tint version unless your GF likes green tinted flashlight beams.

Romisen makes great stuff at a great price.  Shiningbeam is the best place to buy anything Romisen.

Zebralight is my all time favorite flashlight; which one?  Pick.  They're great lights no matter which one you choose.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:11:44 AM
4Sevens have the high CRI Preon 1 and 2 available right now; great little lights.  Don't buy the neutral or the cool tint version unless your GF likes green tinted flashlight beams.

Romisen makes great stuff at a great price.  Shiningbeam is the best place to buy anything Romisen.

Zebralight is my all time favorite flashlight; which one?  Pick.  They're great lights no matter which one you choose.

High CRI Preon 2 with clicky would get my vote aswell.

Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:59 PM

High CRI Preon 2 with clicky would get my vote aswell.

Yep.  If she wants keychain carry, Preon 1; for purse or the like, Preon 2.  The warm tint of the high CRI XPG's is beautiful.

They also have the Mini AA with the high CRI emitter too.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:30 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys. im sorry to say funds for a light have dropped till pay day so its on hold. i did get her a purple e05 for her keys for now but ill come back to this later.

she really like her e05 but i will have to get her something different at some point. till then she can use my light but i want her to have her own  to sort of get her EDC better.

heres her purple e05 with matching paracord fob

-----5hif7y-----

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:40 AM
I'm sure the E05 will be good for a start, I know I like mine. :tu:  Going back to the original post, I'd be careful about LED Lenser's run-time claims, they are......'optimistic' to say the least. ;) 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:31 AM
I'm sure the E05 will be good for a start, I know I like mine. :tu:  Going back to the original post, I'd be careful about LED Lenser's run-time claims, they are......'optimistic' to say the least. ;)

i have a E05 on my keys and love it. that's why i got her one. and thanks for the heads up on led lenser.  :tu: :salute:
-----5hif7y-----

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:27:03 PM
Since Leatherman took over I noticed the run time on several models went down on the site and the paper work. they are starting to use the ANSI standard

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:13 PM
Since Leatherman took over I noticed the run time on several models went down on the site and the paper work. they are starting to use the ANSI standard
that's good news. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
thanks for the suggestions guys. im sorry to say funds for a light have dropped till pay day so its on hold. i did get her a purple e05 for her keys for now but ill come back to this later.

she really like her e05 but i will have to get her something different at some point. till then she can use my light but i want her to have her own  to sort of get her EDC better.

heres her purple e05 with matching paracord fob

(Image removed from quote.)

E05's are nice little lights.  Not my cup of tea, but they're reliable and simple, which is what an EDC should be.  Nice color too!

ph Offline legtu

Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:40 AM
for pocket or keychain carry, i tend to prefer single AAA-sized lights. asking 90+ lumens from a single AAA is a bit asking too much though. there's always trade-off between size, brightness and runtime so you and your girlfriend will have to decide which one are you willing to sacrifice.

for single AAA lights, there's (most of them are sub-90L and maxes at around 1.5hr runtime):
fenix ld01 - twisty
preon - twisty
preon revo - twisty
itp a3 - twisty
liteFlux LF2XT - clicky

going with single AA lights would give you a larger selection to choose from and it's easier to find something with a clicky but do consider that clicky lights also tend to be larger than their twisty counter-parts.

for color choices, i think it's mostly the preon's that offers additional color choices aside from the regular black or stainless if your going for the 70+ lumen lights.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%