Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Way to Tighten/Loosen LM hex Screws?

Offline Thargor

Best Way to Tighten/Loosen LM hex Screws?
on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:03 PM
I wanted to loosen the screw on my Charge TTi that holds the scissors/small bit driver/large screwdriver in place to see if I could make it so I could just flip them out by pushing on them rather than using the pocketclip as a tool for getting them open, no idea why I didnt think of this last year when I got it but anyway, I just tried it with my Vic Cybertool and all the standard bit sets in my toolbox and none of them worked, theres this little bit of metal that I never noticed before sticking up from the middle of the screw that prevents the standard hex bit from getting in far enough to get a grip on the screw. Ive tried everything Ive got and I dont want to risk stripping it. Tomorrow Im going to try and drill a little depression in a hex bit with the smallest drill bit on my dremel but I just thought Id ask first what other people have done to see if theres a better way?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best Way to Tighten/Loosen LM hex Screws?
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:55:56 PM
The screws are T6 Security Torx Bits. You can find them at Pep Boys etc.
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:00:06 AM
Whoa, hang on a moment. The bits you want are actually a T10 Security Bits. And they are indeed readily available at many hardware stores or auto supply stores.

Thargor, I worry that if you slip while drilling you might damage the screw permanently. Maybe check for the right bits first? They are usually rather inexpensive. Good luck! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:01:44 AM
I always thought they were T6?/!
B

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:02:36 AM
My Wave has T10 (well a mix of that and TS10) and i doubt they switched for the Charge.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 01:11:57 AM
I always thought they were T6?/!

Just now checked. The 6-point bits are marked T10, the 5-point bits are marked 10IPR
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:17:45 AM
Oh I see, my mistake..
B

Offline Thargor

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 01:55:24 PM
Thargor, I worry that if you slip while drilling you might damage the screw permanently. Maybe check for the right bits first? They are usually rather inexpensive. Good luck! :)
I mean try to drill out a little dent in the tip of one of the hex bits so it can slip down either side of the little bit of metal that sticks up from the screw, I have a tiny bit of grip already with a normal hex bit, just not enough.

Ill try find one of these security bits after work, I dont know if there as common in Irish hardware stores as they are in American ones though, Ive never seen them anyway, thanks.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:01:10 PM
I mean try to drill out a little dent in the tip of one of the hex bits so it can slip down either side of the little bit of metal that sticks up from the screw, I have a tiny bit of grip already with a normal hex bit, just not enough.

Ill try find one of these security bits after work, I dont know if there as common in Irish hardware stores as they are in American ones though, Ive never seen them anyway, thanks.

If they are 6 Point Torx bits then they should be fairly common, i picked a decent quality set up from a local hardware shop in the uk for £4 so i doubt they'd be that hard to find in Ireland.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:28:10 PM
I don't see why, with care, you couldn't hollow out a Torx or Allen bit. I'd think a Dremel tool or similar with the fine grinder would do the job. I got my Torx security bits from an electronics shop. They weren't too expensive. Good Luck on your efforts, Bill.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 11:01:57 PM
I don't see why, with care, you couldn't hollow out a Torx or Allen bit. I'd think a Dremel tool or similar with the fine grinder would do the job. I got my Torx security bits from an electronics shop. They weren't too expensive. Good Luck on your efforts, Bill.

I don't think there are many things you could keep me out of with these babies.

Calvin
IMGP0471.jpg
* IMGP0471.jpg (Filesize: 50.34 KB)
IMGP0469.jpg
* IMGP0469.jpg (Filesize: 39.24 KB)
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:34 PM
How much did you pay for that?
B

Offline Thargor

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:09 PM
I tried it, I think it would work with a larger bit but the T10 is tiny, out of all the bits in my dremel and the set of extra dremel bits I got a while ago there was only 2 or 3 with a fine enough point to try and it was slipping all over the place on me to the point where I was damaging the Torx bit by smoothing its teeth out, it would have worked perfectly on a larger bit but the T10 is just too small, you would need some kind of specialized precision engineering diamond bit thing to do it, if I cant find any security bits in my local hardware tomorrow Ill just bite the bullet and order them from Ebay.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 11:21:07 PM
How much did you pay for that?

I can't quite remember, it may have been about 50 USD. I found it in a small hardware store.

Calvin
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 11:30:54 PM
Oh, cool.
B

Offline Thargor

Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 11:34:18 PM
Oh for f***s sake, look what I just found in my toolbox after all that hassle, sorry about the crappy phone camera images, its a set of Pro'skit security torx bits that i bought ages ago for modding my Xbox1 into a media centre and to play pirated games, I forgot I had it...
 :twak:

It worked perfectly though, I can now pull the scissors out with my finger like I wanted instead of using the removable pocketclip as a lever (I have crappy nails), same for the small bit driver and the large screwdriver. I had to unscrew it way more than I was expecting, the screws on that side are now about 2mm higher than on the other side, you wouldnt notice it if you werent looking for it though and theres no fear of them unscrewing the rest of the way by themselves so Im 100% happy with the result, thanks for the suggestions everyone...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:37:02 PM by Thargor »

Offline kreskin13

Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 11:42:25 PM
Here is a bigger pic of my "James Bond" bits.

Calvin
IMGP0469_2.jpg
* IMGP0469_2.jpg (Filesize: 113.69 KB)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 03:13:49 AM
Oh for f***s sake, look what I just found in my toolbox after all that hassle, sorry about the crappy phone camera images, its a set of Pro'skit security torx bits that i bought ages ago for modding my Xbox1 into a media centre and to play pirated games, I forgot I had it...
 :twak:

Ha-ha! I thought I was the only one who did things like that!!!  :P :D

Congrats on the success!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%