Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bad weather here in the UK ,hope you all are ok,

Zed · 46 · 3921

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Bad weather here in the UK ,hope you all are ok,
Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 08:30:11 AM
Also let's put things in perspective , my call out yesterday was fairly run of the mill but there was other stuff going on around the coast that made ours look like a picnic .

Spare a thought for these guys . Just been on Facebook and by the look of it there were several teams and lifeboats out yesterday

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/press_centre/news_releases/news_release_detail?articleid=742904

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:51 PM
I can't open the link, as it times out at this moment. I will try again later.

Well  :salute: to you Dunc and all your compatriots for doing a tough but necessary job.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 01:18:24 PM
Well it was howling like crazy out there last night, but we just stayed in (with a very bored dog) and let it pass. No major damage to report, but it seems a couple of people have been killed elsewhere by it all.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:19 PM
I've not caught any news coverage whatsoever, but on the way in to work this morning I had to make a substantial diversion after a road was closed due to an unsafe building. Sounds like a fairly new industrial unit has been torn up and there were fear of debris being thrown into passing vehicles

Well  :salute: to you Dunc and all your compatriots for doing a tough but necessary job.

Absolutely 100%  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:42 PM
I've not caught any news coverage whatsoever, but on the way in to work this morning I had to make a substantial diversion after a road was closed due to an unsafe building. Sounds like a fairly new industrial unit has been torn up and there were fear of debris being thrown into passing vehicles

Absolutely 100%  :salute:

x3  :salute:  i hope when i have more time when the girls are older i can volunteer  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 06:07:00 PM
Trouble is that's the nature of the beast , you can't pick and choose who you rescue , risk assessments were done and apart from driving in wet and windy conditions we were pretty safe on the land . The lifeboat would have done its own risk assessment and it was there call , because the wind was off the land they had some protection from the lee of the cliffs , it wasn't until they were getting half a mile out the waves were increasing to 2 meters plus . Had it of been a deffinet sighting then a large all weather boat would have been launched and a heli .

Our previous shout was early in December when we also had high winds , 3am and called to assist the police search for a disspondant male who had taken an over dose and armed with a kitchen knife  ::) luckily for us he had decided to walk inland .

Yeah, I understand that it's part of the job- it's just a bit of a sore point with me. 

Late summer/early autumn we have our hurricane season, which really only amounts to the odd heavy windstorm with a fair bit of rain.  Even the last full blown hurricane wasn't that bad- a number of trees down, power out to the city for a few days to a week, but hardly the end of the world.  All of this is well and good, and I have gone out myself in some of this bad weather to check on friends and relatives and the like.  I only do things that are necessary as the emergency crews are usually busy enough without having to deal with extra traffic or possibly one more call of a guy in a yellow Jeep crushed by a falling branch and veered into someone's house.

Some folk on the other hand go to the beach to watch the waves.  Not a bad idea, provided you stay far enough away that those waves won't kill you.  However, one of the neatest places to see these waves is out on the rocks at a local tourist trap called Peggy's Cove.  The trouble is, at the best of the times this area is full of rip tides, undercurrents, heavy winds and treacherous waves.  In any kind of foul weather it is downright suicidal, and yet folks always congregate there, and at least one person is swept out to sea in each major storm.  In my books, that's natural selection, and I don't think anyone should have to risk their lives to go out after them.  Peggy's Cove, by the way, is a community of about 40 people, so it shouldn't be too hard to separate the locals from the idiots.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:00 PM
Is this the place Grant  ? if so its beautiful  :o I would so love to go there

and I presume these are some of the said idiots  ::)  just can't understand the mentality of some people

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:28 PM
That's the place- and that's also about the whole thing.  There's a gift shop and restaurant too, but the whole place is really about twenty houses, the lighthouse, the rocks and tourists everywhere.  A little ways up the road is a SwissAir memorial.  If you are in Halifax anyway, it's worth going, but it's not worth coming here just to see it, especially since the weather is almost always horrible there.

And yes, those are some of the idiots.  That's a typical wave there- you don't want to see it on a bad day!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:53 PM
Definitely natural selection at work.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:08 PM
Definitely natural selection at work.

I'd agree, and I'm an idiot  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 12:07:34 AM
Dam wind was strong here last night!

I got a phone call from the wife this morning saying that out garden shed roof cover was sitting on next doors lawn. Got a man coming round tomorrow to fix it quick before the rain gets in.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:43 AM
My fence blew down this evening , had a quick look in the dark and looks like the post has snapped  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:10 AM
My fence blew down this evening , had a quick look in the dark and looks like the post has snapped  :(

Been stabbed a few too many times I'll bet!

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:18 AM
coming late to this thread but we peaked at 102mph winds on Tuesday.  Luckily no damage done at home or at work.

This was taken just 2 minutes down the road from my work.  Warning; the nice lady says a word at the end you shouldn't use in front of kids. ;)
Flying bin down Leith Walk 03-Jan-2012
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:53 AM
coming late to this thread but we peaked at 102mph winds on Tuesday.  Luckily no damage done at home or at work.

This was taken just 2 minutes down the road from my work.  Warning; the nice lady says a word at the end you shouldn't use in front of kids. ;)
Flying bin down Leith Walk 03-Jan-2012

wow that's dangerous, i have had to walk home from how in some of this and its been hard work. and the other day i was driving to the shops and a small tree went over in the road in front of me. i wasn't going quick and i was ok but it could of been nasty.

sucks to be a smoker in this weather. going outside to smoke at work has been horrid.

im glad everyone is ok though.  :salute: take care all
-----5hif7y-----

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 07:41:14 AM

Been stabbed a few too many times I'll bet!

Def

:twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24