Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which is more desirable ........

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Which is more desirable ........
on: November 10, 2006, 02:48:26 PM
1st generation Wave or the new Wave ........  why

thanx
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Which is more desirable ........
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:35:43 PM
In a collectors eyes, the original wave for sure...after all it's a classic tool and one from which leatherman has set the "wave" so to speak of how tools are looked at now, quality wise and also the creative design.

I owned the old one and now own the new one, I like it...like it alot,  but it has it's drawbacks, I am iffy on the mini and regular bit drivers and the scissors are too small, course now the bigger blade, locking tools and pocket clip kick some butt. Alot of people prefer the orginal wave, others want what's new, I'm a little bit of both.

DavidBinGA

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:07:13 AM
I've got both, and I give a slight preference to the old Wave. I like the dedicated screwdriver blades better than the bit holder, and I prefer the old style scissors to the new ones.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 01:28:43 AM
I haven't got a new Wave, but I do have an old one (Thanks Dave!) and I like it quite a bit.  The flat bit holder that comes on the new one I believe is the same as the one on the Surge, and while it's an interesting solution to a common problem (space vs available tools) I kind of prefer the idea of standard bits you can buy anywhere instead of the flat bits that LM uses.  One of the reasons behind that is regional, and not something any non-Canadians need concern themselves with, but that is Robertson screws.  Robertsons have square heads and are very common here but are virtually unheard of in the rest of the world.  SOG makes a Robertson bit that can be retrofitted into their tools, but it seems to be easier to just have a tool that accepts standard bits, and carry the ones you are most likely to need, or get an inexpensive variety set from your local hardware store.

Of course that gets a little off topic...  sorry.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 01:38:24 AM
I know what you mean about there being a lot of square-heads in Canada. Living here in Michigan close to the border, we see a few from time to time also.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 02:02:05 AM
*wondering if he is still talking about screwdrivers... *

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 04:27:15 AM
I know what you mean about there being a lot of square-heads in Canada.
Living here in Michigan close to the border, we see a few from time to time also.

Actually, the more I think about it, I have encountered square-heads almost everywhere I've been.

......and I'm pretty certain that not all of them have been Robertsons.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:49 AM
I have both and agree with the rest that they both have their good and bad points.  I kinda like the original beacuse of the scissors.  Question for the others that have both.  Does the fit and finish and build quality of the original seem to be better than the New Wave.
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:57 AM

What I did not like about the new version is the bit changer. To short. I sold it and got the old version. Been happy with it ever since.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%