Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first forced patina-pic heavy!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
on: January 28, 2012, 02:43:09 AM
Recently I was starting to do a bit of an inventory of what I have in my collection, and decided that amongst other sharp and shiny objects, I should get some more slipjoints this year. I started that little quest with a Case Sodbuster Jr, which is rapidly becoming a favorite working knife. Today at the local hardware store I picked up a Case large Trapper, another beautiful knife. Both of these are yellow handled with CV (chrome vanadium) steel. Never having owned a knife with high-carbon steel, I was a bit worried about rusting and tarnishing. After some internet searches and PMs to a member here, I decided to force a patina on both knives. A patina is basically oxidation, but not quite rust. It will actually help prevent rust from forming, similar to bluing on a rifle barrel.
There are a number of techniques for forcing a patina, using different substances. To do these two knives, I decided to use two food items I had handy-an orange and yellow mustard.  To start, I made sure both knives were good and clean, oil free. I used a product called Krud Kutter, but regular dish soap would work as well. Simply, I just stuck the Sodbuster into the orange, covering the whole blade. I then let it sit for about half an hour or so. The longer the knife stays in contact with the orange juice, the darker the patina. Very simple!

After half an hour, I removed the knife from the orange, and gave it a good cleaning with soap and warm water, followed by a light coat of mineral oil. The result is a nice gray, uneven coating that I think makes this knife look even better.

One thing to note is that when using this technique, the knife will have to be sharpened after the patina is applied.

For the Trapper, I decided to try out yellow mustard on the spey blade.

After the blade was cleaned and dried, I took a paper towel and dabbed the mustard on the blade, some places heavy, other spots lightly. Again, the longer the mustard is on the blade, the deeper the patina.

After only 15 minutes(!) with the mustard coating, I washed the blade and gave it a good oiling and sharpening. The results were impressive!

It doesn't show well in the pic, but there are some very nice rainbow hues to that blade when held up to the light.

And there you have it! A nice and simple effect that not only protects carbon steel blades, but makes your knife something truly one of a kind in a nice subtle way. With a carbon steel Opinel #6 on the way, I'm sure I'll have some fun trying other ways to do this. A big thank you to 2xTap for answering my questions about the properties of CV steel, and to all of you guys who do things like this and post them. It took a while and this was very simple, but I think my first "mod" came out pretty well!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:08:44 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:14:15 AM
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Think I might try the orange on one of mine, I like the pattern it produces.

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: My first forced patina-pic heavy!
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:19:14 AM
looks good,I have a carbon steel mora,and a sodbuster jr that I might try it on,do you like the orange or mustard best?? :salute:

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:26:09 AM
You Guys Can Do The Orange On Stainless Steel As Well!!!
It's Pretty Cool.
~Jessie~

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:26:12 AM
=[
I Did A Tiny Toothpick - No Name Brand - No Brand At All... And The Orange Worked.

I Tried My Classic And Kershaw Half Ton With Mustard... No Result.. But A Tiny Little Mark On The Classic... So I Thought I Would Try The Orange. Since It Worked On The Toothpick...

Nothing Happened.
No Result.
Just Two Blank Blades.

So Why Did It Work On The Tiny Toothpick?

Would a Small No Name Brand... No Brand At All Have Carbon Steel?
~Jessie~

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:44:20 AM
That Sodbuster looks great  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 04:30:05 PM
Thanks guys! It was a nice simple experiment and I'm happy it turned out as well as it did. As a bonus, I tried out mt orange peeler on my Executive afterwards!

looks good,I have a carbon steel mora,and a sodbuster jr that I might try it on,do you like the orange or mustard best?? :salute:

They both look neat, but I'd have to say that I like the results on the Sodbuster from the orange a bit better. It doesn't show up very well in the pics, but there is a nice rainbow hue to it when held at an angle. I do have another blade on that Trapper to do, and I might try either a combination of the orange and the mustard, or something else entirely..... :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:15:46 PM
 :D Very Nice Work Tom.
I'm Going To Have To Get Carbon Blade Knives Just So I Can Do This.
~Jessie~

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:27 AM
I accidentally 'forced' a patina on my Case Stockman by eating an apple.  Luckily it looks fine. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:14:25 AM
That's fantastic.  I love the Orange patterns.  I'm going to have to try that. :)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:41 PM
That looks really good. Will have to give it a try :)
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:20 PM
I've always used apples myself. I just cut up my apple to eat and accidentally always forget to wipe it off for a little bit. ::) :D Works great!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%