Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OK..I'm sold !!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
OK..I'm sold !!
on: November 10, 2006, 10:36:36 PM
Today at the post office,I met a Guardsman just back from a year in Iraq,and on his belt was a SOG sheath.I asked to take a look,and he proudly whipped out his PowerPlier,telling me that it had been accidentally run over by a HumVee a couple times.I was impressed by the solid look and feel of the thing..I'm a Vic man through and through,but that SOG looks like a tool that's meant to be used and used hard and still come out looking good.There's absolutely ,definitely going to be a SOG or two in my immediate future.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: OK..I'm sold !!
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:02:26 AM
Ahh, good. Yet another soon-to-be SA member. (Sogaholics Anonymous)
 :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:23:02 AM
I really don't think that you can go wrong with any of the SOG tools.  They are well built and very heavy duty, but just about any of the heavy duty tools like the SuperTool, Surge, SwissTool etc would likely stand up to a Humvee pretty good.  In fact, I'd put money on almost anything from the major manufacturers standing up to that kind of abuse.

Of course, this is as good an excuse as any to get a SOG!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:14:26 AM
All the advertising in the world can't compare to the testimonial of a grunt,that's willing to carry his multi back in the civilian world.I've read it before,but it took me seeing for myself  the ability of changing out components by yourself without a return to the factory.That'sanother big point for me,that and seeing up close and personal that fit and finish is the equal to Vic.
I

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:54:53 AM
I have vic tools, LM's and I love my SOGS. I have two of the powerpliers. One is customized and has the blasting cap crimper. I added the bit adapter and it has three different knife blades. The other is the full standard Power pliers with scissors. Their finsih is like jewels. My on;y complaint is I wish the tools inside were a bit bigger for such a large tool. Thats its only drawbback IMO.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 12:22:08 AM
There's absolutely ,definitely going to be a SOG or two in my immediate future.

Check this thread for SOG 2nds direct from the factory
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 04:50:36 PM
I don't think any tools from the major manufacturers would be flimsy enough to crack under those conditions.A Hummer isn't all that heavy, especially when fitted with big weels for the sand.Sounds impressive, but it probably exertsd less pressure per inch than a minivan does.

Still, you can't fault the strength of a well made tool
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline plowboy

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:15:11 PM
Please forgive me if I bring up a few old threads.  I also like my Vics very much.  I have both the Swisstool and the Spirit.  They are great.  But I have had an itch to see what SOG and Leatherman are putting out...maybe even Gerber.  I have a SOG PowerLock on the way from FelineVet and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I also want to try a Charge...Can't decide if I should get the one with scissors or with the serrated blade and cutter. 

I'm glad to hear that you thought the SOG was well made.  I suspect that Def and some of the others are right that many of the tools from major producers will hold up to heavy and hard conditions.  After my SOG gets here and I have it a few days, I'll try to offer my thoughts.

I really like multitool.org and this forum...and SOSAK.
 :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:32:37 PM
I couldn't agree more that the tools from most major, reputable manufacturers should stand up to pretty heavy duty activities.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be major, reputable companies!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%