Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Older Robeson Scout Knife.....

2xTap · 11 · 3543

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Older Robeson Scout Knife.....
on: January 07, 2012, 05:39:33 PM
I picked this one up about a month ago........finally got around to cleaning it up a little and getting pics taken. A Robeson 642214 Scout in Strawberry Jigged Delrin.

It's in excellent condition, aside from coming with some patches of discoloration on the bail, a few spots along the backspring area, and a few small spots along the main blade's spine....as well as some handling marks on the blade/tools and bolsters, it looks unused.

Couldn't really tell from the sellers pics if the handles were bone but when I finally got it in hand I could tell they are jigged Delrin. Judging by the tang stamps which read ROBESON/SHUREDGE/U.S.A. in all block letters.....

With the pattern No.# 642214 on the reverse.......

.......the knife appears to be of 1940-1964 production. Did some research and I was able to narrow that down to having likely been made in around 1959-1964 due to the Starwberry colored jigged Delrin scales.

Anyway, the liners and pins are brass, bolsters and shield appear to be nickle/silver.....the one thing I am not sure of is the steel. Aside from small discoloration marks on the spine of the main blade (most of which disappeared with a little Flitz) I can find no rust or peppering. Not sure if this thing is stainless or carbon steel. Blade/tools are polished, doesn't look like it has been sharpened at all and the edge is decently sharp. Fit and finish is real good, backsprings are decently stout and the knife is sans any gaps......

I think I did good on this one as I got it pretty cheap, I think, if my conclusions to how old this thing is are right. Of the dozens of Robeson knives I own this is only the second one I have that was actually made by the real Robeson Cutlery Company.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Older Robeson Scout Knife.....
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:44:32 PM
It did clean up well!

looks better than my, new, RR scout knife.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:13:07 AM
dks,

Thanks bud. Yeah, it did. It wasn't bad when I got it, just some light stains/discoloration in a few small spots. Most of it was taken care of by a bit of Flitz paste. There is one spot on the inside curve of the bail.....still there, can't quite get it all gone. But outside of that the thing has been kept in good shape and apparently unused.

A big time Robeson collector on another forum confirmed for me that this one was, in fact, produced around 1959-1964 time frame and is likely of carbon steel.

I do believe I scored great here considering I only payed $50 for it!  :2tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:37 PM
Congrats on a sweet looking piece 2x! :tu:

A question: what did you use on those brass bolsters to polish them up so pretty?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:33 PM
Oh 2x you just have awesom toys!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:01:16 PM
J-sews,

Thanks bud. As to what I used to clean it up, same thing I use on all my slippies.......a cotton cloth, some Flitz paste, and a little elbow grease. The bolsters on this are nickle/silver, Flitz works wonders on nickle/silver. It shines up brass better than Brasso as well.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:59 PM
Oh 2x you just have awesom toys!!

I try!  ;)

2xTap

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:57 AM
Okay thanks :salute: I've got a couple oldies with tarnished brass. I'll give that flitz stuff a try :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:25 PM
Okay thanks :salute: I've got a couple oldies with tarnished brass. I'll give that flitz stuff a try :)

If you haven't used Flitz before, get the paste version, not the liquid. The paste version works best. It's non-abrasive, but don't let it sit on the metal......apply and work it like a polishing compound. Be sure to remove all of it as you go. Great stuff, been using it for years.

2xTap

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:33:24 AM

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:55 PM
Is this it here? (amazon link) 

http://www.amazon.com/Flitz-BP03511-Metal-Polish-Tube/dp/B000T9LZDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326162745&sr=8-1

Yup, that be the right stuff. Their liquid version comes in a bottle, the paste always comes in the tube like the one you linked to.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%