Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me decide. Cybertool 34 or 41

jojobos · 28 · 12402

Offline jojobos

Help me decide. Cybertool 34 or 41
on: May 20, 2009, 11:44:07 PM
If you can get the CT41 for only 4 dollars more than CT34, would you go with CT41?
Obviously the 41 has more functions and more bang for buck but the CT41 is 1.3inch/6.7oz and CT34 is 1.1inch/5.4oz.
Unfortunately, I can only get one at this moment...  What is your personal preference on this??
Thanks!

Offline Precise

• I can haz multitoolz nowz?
Re: Help me decide. Cybertool 34 or 41
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:26:36 AM
I had that dilemma myself only a couple months back. The whole issue boils down to this: How do you plan to carry your cybertool? If your gonna use any kind o belt patch, go ahead and get the 41 I say.

That being said, I carry my Cybertool 34 in my pocket. It's large and you know its there. I never liked belt patches anyway. It is uncomfortable to carry in any kind of tight pants like dress pants, but I don't mind it in my jeans or khakis. I love the tool selection, but I often find myself wishing it had the nice file from the 41....or the saw.

On a cosmetic note, I recommend the Sapphire scales...they look beautiful and have held up nicely so far. Best o' Luck!  :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:11:39 AM
I carry a cybertool 41 as my work EDC.  Yes, I use a sheath.  The CT41 is essentially the size of a SwissChamp.  I went with the CT41 because I wanted the file and saw.  If you don't use those tools, then the 34 is the way to go.

Offline jojobos

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:32:36 AM
Precise, that's a great point. I want to avoid the belt carry. I think the 34 can fit in a large coin pocket but no way for the 41. I held two saks together to simulate the thickness of 33mm and it is definitely up there. I am leaning toward the 34 now!!
 :drool: :drool:
I like the Sapphire too and will go with the color. Thanks for your advice.

Mr. Whippy, thanks for your input.  I can may be carry a file in my wallet and go with the 34. I use it often for light duty stuff and the saw will not see too much action in a city. I have to say I was very distracted by the price..

I'll think it over tonight and place an order tomorrow hopefully!

Offline Springs420

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:43 AM
Get the CT29 and pair it with a MT...

Offline silentio

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:25:46 AM
Get the CT29 and pair it with a MT...

I do that myself, but sometimes, I do wish I could carry just one tool instead of two.

Sidenote: has anyone bought extra bits for the CT? Are they easily available? I could do with smaller philips drivers

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:24:06 AM
I'd get the 41, that way you'd never be without the right tool for the job :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jojobos

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:45:39 PM
I placed an order at Tim's shop. I went with the Jubilie 125th scaled(the 34) one!! It was only $12 more and I like the design. I'll see how they hold up to the usage.
I will pair up with Swisstool at work/in a city and grab a 111mm lockblade when out in the woods or fishing. Well, at least that is my plan for now.. :)

Thank you guys for your inputs.  :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:47:40 PM
I placed an order at Tim's shop. I went with the Jubilie 125th scaled(the 34) one!! It was only $12 more and I like the design. I'll see how they hold up to the usage.
I will pair up with Swisstool at work/in a city and grab a 111mm lockblade when out in the woods or fishing. Well, at least that is my plan for now.. :)

Jubilee 125th for an EDC?

:ahhh               :o                :ahhh

:D  Enjoy  (That'd be a shelf queen for me...)

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:26:20 PM

CT+ST is my EDC also :), can I say you're wrong? :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:31:48 PM by sardauker »

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:50:31 PM
I've carried a Cybertool 34 for....... I guess about 8 years now. It's with me every day at work, and gets used constantly. An awesome, awesome tool. The bit driver is to die for.

--
'Buzz

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 06:52:52 AM
Precise, that's a great point. I want to avoid the belt carry. I think the 34 can fit in a large coin pocket but no way for the 41. I held two saks together to simulate the thickness of 33mm and it is definitely up there. I am leaning toward the 34 now!!
 :drool: :drool:
I like the Sapphire too and will go with the color. Thanks for your advice.

Mr. Whippy, thanks for your input.  I can may be carry a file in my wallet and go with the 34. I use it often for light duty stuff and the saw will not see too much action in a city. I have to say I was very distracted by the price..

I'll think it over tonight and place an order tomorrow hopefully!

Check amazon $10 off $50 promo going on, you can get the Saphire 41 for about $49

Offline Dzinn

Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:32:17 AM
I'm resuscitating this thread, due to the fact that I'm looking to replace my old CT34 with a Brand New one!

My old one has been with me for about 8 years, been an amazingly handy tool to carry around. Even days when I'm not carrying an EDC, I still carry my CT. That's how EDC-Essential it is!

But as the years have passed us by, and as that lost BIT was never refound, and probably vaccuumed to oblivion by my wife, and as the wear and tear of every-day use-, sometimes experimental things it might not have been intended to use on, or be used as, and as the plastic on the sides has become tarnished (in a nice way) and a few cracks have appeared here and there, the CT just continues to be as useful as ever.
So I've decided to keep my old CT, give it to wife, or keep it in the glove-compartment of the car (allthough it allready houses the Rescue Tool...)

It's an awesome little tool, It's been involved in just about everything I've assembled during it's lifetime (computers, furniture, auto-parts, bikes, appliances, and much more, at work, etc)

Just wanted to point that out to anyone who's thinking about or hesitating to get this great multitool. It's a fantastic companion to carry around, can't recommend it enough.

Also, I can see how carrying both the CT and the ST makes for a winning combination, I might follow that same path.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:20 AM
Sapphire 34 for me, in the pocket quite a lot. The above advice has got you covered :)

They are such great tools, you wouldn't be disappointed with either :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline django.cj

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 02:09:56 PM
I regret getting the 34, it's just too damn bulky for my pocket.  It just sits in my drawer at work for when I need a bit driver.  Id go back and get a 29 if I could.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:26 PM
I regret getting the 34, it's just too damn bulky for my pocket.  It just sits in my drawer at work for when I need a bit driver.  Id go back and get a 29 if I could.
I have the 34 and 41, and the bulk is a problem for me too. I now have one "stationed" in the house, and the other is in the contemplation bucket  :rofl: that's the pot of SAKs that I keep thinking of doing mods with at some point ... or trading ... or selling ... or ..........  ;)

A cyber-yeoman-esque-doofer will be mine eventually ... eventually being the key word here :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline django.cj

Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:28:33 PM
I really should sell the 34 and pick up a 29.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 09:26:15 PM
I think Reinier (MTo user) detected some usability problem with the CT29, but I don't remember what is.
I don't have the 29, but have the 34 and don't find it bulky. To me the 34 is the best compromise of the four CT's (29-34-lite-41), but YMMV.

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:07:59 PM
Here's an alternative combo I like. Perhaps you do too. How often do you use bits?

Pocket carry in a slippouch, nice and flat, easy for grabs, and up to work.
The seperate bit wrench is awesome.

That gives an endless freedom to pair it to perfection with a SAK of choice. ;)

And you can forget about corkscrews, the new mini driver fits in swell.
foto (Medium).JPG
* foto (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 55.12 KB)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:07:12 PM by Waterlander »

Offline richs2891

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 10:40:49 PM
I have a 34 and its just about ok for daily edc in my belt sheath but ideally I would remove the pliars layer to make it a bit thinner as I have a seperate pliars multitool (leatherman as my swisstool has a lockable blade (a no no in the UK for edc). Yet I want to keep the scissors so no 29 for me.

Richard

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:31 AM
I have one of those mods Bit-Driver Scissors Blade/combo-tool  and it's about as big as I like to carry in a pocket, but in a pouch I'd carry a 34 or even the 41.

I'm thinking of having a mod done that is just scissors and bit driver in the layers.  Which I'll combo with other non SAKs. The challenge is finding some good scales for it... Cellidor is a non-starter here. 

Love the bit-driver, but have not figured out how to get it into an EDC yet.  Been thinking about my EDC a lot trying to come up with the best one, but it's proving challenging.

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 01:12:42 PM
I have one of those mods Bit-Driver Scissors Blade/combo-tool  and it's about as big as I like to carry in a pocket, but in a pouch I'd carry a 34 or even the 41.

I'm thinking of having a mod done that is just scissors and bit driver in the layers.  Which I'll combo with other non SAKs. The challenge is finding some good scales for it... Cellidor is a non-starter here. 

Love the bit-driver, but have not figured out how to get it into an EDC yet.  Been thinking about my EDC a lot trying to come up with the best one, but it's proving challenging.

Yes, impossible to have everything in one single "prefect" SAK.
Clever combinations are the way to go. Spread the load, spread the functions, dailed in.
This will also greatly improve the use and practise.
I like your way of thinking. Let's do some brainstorming on this..

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:10 PM
I think Reinier (MTo user) detected some usability problem with the CT29, but I don't remember what is.
I don't have the 29, but have the 34 and don't find it bulky. To me the 34 is the best compromise of the four CT's (29-34-lite-41), but YMMV.

Correct :)
Not a very big problem though: I had a little trouble accessing the nail nick in the main blade due to the bit driver blocking it.

A good alternative may be to carry a small SAK like maybe a Tinker or Deluxe Tinker combined with a BitSolo (mod: only the bit holder/driver layer) :think:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:35 AM
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here... I've got a 34, 41, and now a Lite.  Of all of them, the Lite is my favorite.  In fact, I'm kind of in a quandary as to what to do with my sapphire 34 now.  I don't often use the 41 because even though it has more tools than the Lite, I find the magnifying glass a lot more useful on a daily basis than the saw or file on the 41.

When I'm not carrying the Lite as my EDC, it usually lives on my desk, so I can grab it quickly when ever I need it.  The light isn't a flashlight though, it's not meant for that.  However, it does give just enough light to let you see what you're trying to get at with the bit driver or the blade in a dark space, which I'm pretty sure is all it was intended to do.  (And I always carry my HCRI Preon 1 clipped in my pocket anyway.) 

In short, since I got my Lite, I hardly use my 34 or 41 at all anymore.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:54 PM
I keep thinking about a custom CT, with the blade and combo layer from a Compact, bit driver and metal file/saw - would make a nice addition to a MT and should be small enough for pocket carry.
But i don´t have teh balls to tear apart my CT and my compact, afraid to be left with 2 non working Saks...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:13 PM
Yup, I know that feeling  :dwts:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 06:26:43 PM
I would go with the 41 . I'm seriously considering one already , as I already carry a Handyman .

Get a dangler clip , should be quite pocketable .

Chris

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:38 PM
I keep thinking about a custom CT, with the blade and combo layer from a Compact, bit driver and metal file/saw - would make a nice addition to a MT and should be small enough for pocket carry.
But i don´t have teh balls to tear apart my CT and my compact, afraid to be left with 2 non working Saks...
You hit the nail on the head... that's really the ONLY thing I'd change on my CT Lite.  Even though I'm okay with it the thickness that it is, I rarely use the awl/reamer, I wouldn't really use it for really big flatheads (bottle opener tool) unless I had no other option, it's already got the small flathead driver on one of the bits, and it'd be nice to have it be one layer thinner.

If you really want one modded like that, GigaHz has some that he's done, and also TattooSteve does great modding work too.  He's done a couple of 111's for me now, and his work is awesome.   :tu:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%