Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife Edge Tester Surprised by Vic Steel

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Knife Edge Tester Surprised by Vic Steel
Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:24 PM
lol, hadn't watch this one before.  Love it. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:31 PM
victorinox has been around a long time and really have their stuff together.

i haven't experienced a bad Swiss made victorinox product.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:44 PM
I love his demeanor change throughout the video.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:38 PM
I love his demeanor change throughout the video.  :tu:

I wish we could see his face when he is holding it in his hand and he is at a loss for words. :tool:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:43 PM
Wow  :D  I love that this thread resurfaced... it should almost be a sticky.

I have to confess though... I'm working on a little photo idea for my new EDC that is in the mail to me right now... I'm pretty sure this one will be my EDC for the next few years, my current one I've carried for a couple years.  Anyway; in doing that I looked back at some of my early knives.... and I could not believe how nice my first real knife was (not a SAK).... anyway it was never a real EDC probably because it was just a knife.... but any how... I got nostelgic and bought a my first non-SAK in a very very long time... textured G10, S30V, and Speedsafe.... if you like knives by this company Amazon has a good sale on.

Oh that's not the only knife that is in the mail to me...

Which one will be my EDC... stay tuned...  :mail:   :drink:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:35 AM
It's OK to say Kershaw in my threads. I'm a big fan :D
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:26 PM
I couldn't agree more.  I've got a D2 Canal Street Canittler, a Russell pen knife with VG10 steel and a Fallkniven with what they call gold laminate powder steel(!).  They're good knives but I have knives with 1095 and 1070 carbon steel; SAK stainless; Sheffield stainless; Case CV and Trusharp; Buck 420HC; Rough Rider's 440A and a fair few other steels, and these are every bit as effective for my uses.  Every bit. They're also, as has been pointed out above, easy to sharpen and you don't have to send them back to the factory if you dull the edge or put up with owning a knife shaped object that can't quite cut air.  Steel snobbery is an unfortunate affliction and it's nice to see it being treated by application of a SAK.
I love my SAKs, and wouldn't change the steel in their blades at all.  I've never abused the blades on any of them, but they've never batted a lash at anything I've thrown at them either.

I've had/have a few knives with VG10, and it'd be nice to have something with an S30V, ZDP, or D2 blade, but I realized that "super steels" really aren't all that different from one another when you look at the big picture.  I think the actual differences that steel snobs argue over about edge retention, rust resistance, etc. are all very, very small in terms of the actual differences they make in practical application.  I think that actual measurements of such properties in objective tests (hardness, ductility, etc.), would only show fractions of a percent of difference between them.

I used to think that super steels were the only way to go until I got my Condor Golok machete, which is made of 1075.  After putting a proper convex edge on it, and putting it through some paces processing firewood, cutting tree branches, brush, and green foliage with it, I am very, VERY pleased with its edge retention and how easy it is to sharpen.  It really sold me on the high carbon steels.  In fact I went out and bought a BK14 (made of 1095), as a general camp/survival knife because of how well the 1075 in my Condor has held up so far.

But, back on topic... SAKs rule! :D
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%