Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissMemory

FredKJ · 16 · 2080

Offline FredKJ

SwissMemory
on: January 16, 2008, 01:27:52 AM
Does anyone have experience with the SwissMemory knives?  I've read stuff that the plastic clips for removing the USB flash drive don't work well.  I wish they had a model with the flash drive that had a few more impliments.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SwissMemory
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:32:18 AM
I have one that needs to go back to Victorinox because the drive itself is toast, but the little clip seems pretty sturdy to me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:19 AM
Yeah, well the drive working is kind of important too.  What happened to it?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:53 AM
I dunno, I got it like that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:08 AM
That does not bode well.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:53:18 AM
I do not have one, but read a comment recently on the drive coming apart when simply pulled out of the computer. I am also having a hard imagining paying $75+ dollars for a 2Gb USB stick, when I can get one in a corner store for $17. Don't get me wrong, I just spent $200 on Swissgear/Wenger set of luggage, and I like the Vic flashlights, but swissmemory to me is a gimmick.
-------
Alexei

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:10:11 AM
It's a second hand one, not brand new, so I wouldn't worry about it.  It's also pretty grungy...

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:51:16 AM
Got one for Christmas from a well-meaning relative. It works fine - quality is sturdy enough and all - but it probably won't see much use. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:44:28 PM
I have one and haven't had any problems with it, although it hasn't seen much action. Mine came with an alox case to put it in so you can separate it from the knife and carry it on a plane or other places that do not allow knives. Nice.

Heck, I like it, a thumb drive with a small blade and scissors made by Vic, that's cool. 8) I also bought a little leather sheath made just for the SwissMemory, once again, nice.

Calvin
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 08:07:02 PM
My only problem with them is that electronics are outdated so quickly.  What good is a 256mb flash drive today?  What good is a 1.44 floppy disk?  How long until 2gig drives are useless?  Or computers all connect to their components via Bluetooth and USB ports disappear?

My Camper is just as good today as it was 25 years ago when I got it, back in the days when Vic 20's were still just a luxury toy for dorks.  I'd hate to think of a SAK being virtually useless in 5 years.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:08:01 PM
Engineered obsolescence.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:40 PM
Yes, and that's a hard thing for Victorinox to do since some of their 100 year old products are still in service!  I guess they needed to give it a shot since every other industry is doing it these days.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:28 PM
What good is a 256mb flash drive today?

It's very good! Mine is still in reliable service!

The problem with some folk is all they know is having more space than anything in the world, so they don't learn house-keeping, and I feel that house keeping in a computer is as essential as in the home or workplace. You don't leave rubbish around the floor, it's a fire hazard, and someone could trip!
The same applies to your humble Computer.

I think a 128 or 256mb drive should be enforced for up to 6 months, like a Learners Permit for data storage before you're allowed to abuse Terabytes and TurboJuicers and whatever other goodies the world holds.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 09:52:34 PM
What good is a 1.44 floppy disk?
Def

Very useful for flashing your bios if you don't have a motherboard that can use a memory stick!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline toytoy

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:16 PM
I think you can buy a Kingston 4 GB drive from buy.com for $19.95. These products simply go outdated in a few months.

I don't like the SAK + USB drive idea. Even though the USB drive is detachable, I think the drive may be more properly used as a separate product. It is a bad idea from day one.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:47 PM
Perhaps Vic did take a bit of a left turn.  As for memory I worked years ago with a Timex Sinclair that had 2k of ram and loaded stuff with tape.  In a couple of years the thumb drive will go the way of the floppy and tape drive.  Then what can you do with the knife?  They do seem a bit pricey but I suppose you have to get someone to make the thumbdrive case to fit in the knife and they probably don't make a lot of them. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%