Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Black Oxide PST

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Leatherman Black Oxide PST
on: January 08, 2012, 07:10:59 PM
According to our Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?) in THIS THREAD the crimper-less BO PST is a bit harder to come by than the crimper version.  Of course, this meant I had to go and have a look at the old BO PST I have lying around.  After all, I had to find out if I was REALLY cool or only just slightly above average cool.  Turns out I'm REALLY cool since it's a crimperless version.  One of these days modern science may be able to explain just how much awesome could be packed into one person, but I doubt it, so in the meantime, let's just look at the tool you hoped you'd see when you clicked on this thread!

While I like to show off pretty and shiny tools from time to time (see this beautiful Multiplier for example) I also have a fondness for a tool that has served it's time, and especially if, like this one, it's got lots of life left in it!

As you can see, this one was no shelf queen, but it wasn't abused either.  It was used as a tool by someone who could respect it, and while used, is in remarkable shape.  None of the drivers are twisted or broken, although they all have scratches and crud on them, proving this tool led a life of honest work.

In case anyone is wondering, this tool is dated 0194 on one side and 0294 on the other, and this is exactly how I got it.  I think I bought it from someone on Knifeforums.com, but I honestly can't remember where it came from, so if it was anyone here and they are offended by my lack of credit, I apologize.

In addition, this old PST still lives in the original square bulletproof Leatherman sheath, which, like the tool, is well worn but very serviceable.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Leatherman Black Oxide PST
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:23:06 PM
Thats funny , I have an old PST in my hand when I saw this thread .I used to have a NIB BO ccrimpless PST which I traded/ sold to Allan  :(  I never learn lol

I love getting old PSTs that have seen a hard life and clean them up to somewhere near their former glory . I've just been looking on U.S Ebay and there is 4 pages of them  :o and they are cheap . Thats a really nice one you have there Grant . Are you going to put it into EDC rotation ?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
You've inspired me to changer my Avatar now   :twak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:38:33 PM
Nope.  This one won't see any rotation, not because it's "special" but simply because I am not overly fond of the PST as an EDC model.  My first Leatherman was a Micra and my second (bought the very next day since I was so impressed with the Micra) was a PST II.  I am really big on scissors, and the PST doesn't have them- I wonder if it had been my first Leatherman if I'd be a fan of them to this day.  Also, my first Vic was a Camper and the one thing I always missed on it was scissors, so this wasn't just a problem that developed with Leatherman tools.

When Leatherman revived the multitool industry with the PST he also "invented" all the original problems too- non locking tools, uncomfortable handles, inside opening tools etc.  Of course, had the PST been perfect from the get go, would as many other companies jumped on the bandwagon to try and improve on the design? 

This was a hugely successful tool as you all know, and everyone else (Schrade, Bear, SOG, Buck, Gerber etc) all figured they could do the same thing, only better.  Schrade turned the handles sideways, Bear made tools that opened from the outside, Buck turned the hinges sideways and opposite to eachother and SOG made the head come out sideways.  That still doesn't take away from the fact that this was also the original problem child.  While everyone complains about how painful the old Multipliers were when they pinched you, not many people still talk about the uncomfortable sheet metal handles of early Leatherman models!

Anyways, long story short, while I appreciate them as part of the multitool history and evolution, they just aren't for me as an EDC model.  If I had nothing else to carry I'd take it along and be confident in it, but as you know I have a few other tools lying around to choose from!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:39:27 PM

The SwissTool Master hath fallen!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:48:12 PM

The SwissTool Master hath fallen!

Def

He's kinda been on a very long holiday  :D

While I mostly carry a Wave for my EDC I do like the PST for lightweight UK legal carry . I wish LM still made them . I wonder if they still have the tooling etc.

I prefer the older ones as the handles seem a little rounder and not as square but on the minus side suffer from the older style drivers and pliers .I suppose I have a soft spot for them as one of these was my first multitool  :multi:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:50:06 PM
Your pictures are getting a lot better Def.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:49 PM

They'd be hard pressed to get much worse!  :D

Thanks Dan- I consider that a heck of a compliment from you!   :tu:

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Yeh but that File is just screaming " Clean me "  :ahhh   Show it some TLC Grant  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:02:22 PM
There is just something about a well used BO tool. The Patina on it is very beautiful.

EDIT: Well here are my two. The top one is 05/96 - 06/96. The bottom one is 06/94 - 12/94.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:16:12 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:10:28 PM
Thats funny , I have an old PST in my hand when I saw this thread .I used to have a NIB BO ccrimpless PST which I traded/ sold to Allan   :(  I never learn lol

I love getting old PSTs that have seen a hard life and clean them up to somewhere near their former glory . I've just been looking on U.S Ebay and there is 4 pages of them  :o and they are cheap . Thats a really nice one you have there Grant . Are you going to put it into EDC rotation ?
I think you got it wrong Dunc, You got it from me matey..  ;) I bought three NIB from the same seller and I still have a untouched spare for when the right trade comes up..  8) I can't recall who you traded it to.. :)

Edit, Here's the pics. (I got your SOG ToolClip V1 btw Dunc..) :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:24:12 PM by AHB »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:34 PM
Thanks Allan , this years New Years Resolution is If I buy a tool I'm keeping them ::) So you still have one left do you  :think:  :drool:  :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:21 PM
Thanks Allan , this years New Years Resolution is If I buy a tool I'm keeping them ::) So you still have one left do you  :think:  :drool:  :D
Yup..   ;)  :angel:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:30:42 PM
Incoming ..............

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 02:30:04 AM
Great thread Grant!

I traded a SOG powerLock for a BO PST from MTLitton.  It has no date codes, but has a lanyard and the US Reg TM xxxxxxxx  but only on one handle (not both)  Inches/cm scale so I guess it's late 80's to 1992?  ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 02:33:20 AM
I couldn't possibly help you with dates, but I'm sure Bob or Mat or some other guys could.

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 08:06:53 AM
Great thread Grant!

I traded a SOG powerLock for a BO PST from MTLitton.  It has no date codes, but has a lanyard and the US Reg TM xxxxxxxx  but only on one handle (not both)  Inches/cm scale so I guess it's late 80's to 1992?  ???

I have a std one that matches yours and those dates are what I worked mine out to be .

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:56 AM
Great thread Grant!

I have a std one that matches yours and those dates are what I worked mine out to be .

:o  You should get your other tools tested!   :ahhh

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:06 AM
Great thread Grant!

:twak: I make sure I wear gloves when I use this one , to stop any cross infection  :rofl:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:48 PM
'Me dirty' :think: :P :D :D Def you don't know the half of it  >:D :D :D.

I wonder if the majority of the BO PST's were earmarked  for the military hence the majority of them having the cap crimpers  :think: :think:. A BO PSTII would be cool  :think: :gimme: :gimme: :D :D.

Def I have heard you have a rather nice dirty from down under BO Swisstool  :pok: :think: :pok: :D :D :D pics  :pok: :pok: :pok: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:17 PM
I don't doubt that for a second Mat!  :D

BO SwissTool from Downunder?  Hmm... whatever do you mean?   :angel:  FRED almost made it under the camera lens yesterday and probably will get there today, but that's hardly Swiss...  :pok:

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 04:14:48 PM
FRED would be lonely without his big BO brother  :think: , Def I hope you have not lost your Aussie Swisstool  :ahhh :ahhh :D :D. You know the rule no pics no tool  :pok: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 04:19:24 PM
Nope, I have not lost or forgotten the Aussie Swisstool- I am just pulling your leg!  :D

I'll see what I can do to get it in front of the camera today- I was just grabbing stuff at random on my desk, but for you I'll be sure to enter the Vault for some good stuff!  :D

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:17 PM
Great thread Grant!

:twak: I make sure I wear gloves when I use this one , to stop any cross infection  :rofl:

Trojan tool "gloves"!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 07:35:13 PM
I gotta say Grant, I like yours the best. ;)  Nice to see a tool that has been used a bit, but not abused. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:01 PM
I gotta say Grant, I like yours the best. ;)  Nice to see a tool that has been used a bit, but not abused. :tu:

I agree- this one is at exactly the right point.  Any more hard use and it would have been trashed, any less and someone probably wouldn't have felt he was getting his money's worth out of it.  While factory perfect is desirable for many (including me) collectors, you just have to respect a tool that has obviously done its job.

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:30 PM

I agree- this one is at exactly the right point.  Any more hard use and it would have been trashed, any less and someone probably wouldn't have felt he was getting his money's worth out of it.  While factory perfect is desirable for many (including me) collectors, you just have to respect a tool that has obviously done its job.
Def
Agreed..  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:42 AM

Def

I love bring life back to old tools, even ones that have been somewhat abused. Taking the time to restore a tool that has had a full and rich history really stirs the imagination. Each scratch and mark has its own story somewhere behind it, and they take a tool that "could be used" to something that "did the job"

My favorite tools in my collection are the one I've brought back to life :tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline David

Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 02:52:10 AM
Nice BO PST Grant. It`s good to see a tool that has seen some use. I got quite a few tools that came in well used sheaths but the tool shows hardly any use. They were carried but used little if at all.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:16 AM
I think that shows a dedicated lack of imagination.... :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%