Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collector's Edition PST Overview

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Collector's Edition PST Overview
Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:37 PM
Now that is how you say hello!

Great write up and comparison  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline ALtheSciencePal

Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 03:29:31 PM
Thank you all!!  :cheers:  :cheers:
You guys are awesome! It's nice to know my multi tool craziness is shared and appreciated. Tons more where that came from!

I am curious to know.. did really only two of you also pull the trigger on one of these? I'm just going by that poll
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:33:09 PM by ALtheSciencePal »
"Speak softly and carry a big multitool" -Teddy Roosevelt, I think

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 03:34:38 PM
You guys are awesome! It's nice to know my multi tool craziness is shared and appreciated. Tons more where that came from!

I am curious to know.. did really only two of you also pull the trigger on one of these? I'm just going by that poll

I can't get the collectors edition easily but I did get the heritage
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 03:37:17 PM

I can't get the collectors edition easily but I did get the heritage
That counts if you ask me!  :tu: :multi:

za Offline EZrider

Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 04:32:58 PM
Also can’t get the collector’s version in South Africa so I also have the heritage edition.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:11:11 PM by EZrider »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:02 AM
What is the Heritage version?

I have my original PST.   Then I have 2 Marlboro editions. One still NIB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 02:16:26 PM
Very Cool. Thank you for sharing. :like:

Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 08:08:05 AM

The heritage version is the same as the Collectors Edition except the heritage isn't serialized and doesn't come in the wood box with the autograph and what not.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:22 AM

The heritage version is the same as the Collectors Edition except the heritage isn't serialized and doesn't come in the wood box with the autograph and what not.

Gotcha!

Thanks!

ru Offline wowaboro

us Offline brian7549

Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:40 PM
Got mine

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 05:20:14 AM
     That is a nice tool even if a little pricey.  Could someone post a pic of the t-shirt? Thanks

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 01:19:01 PM
Mine came in last Friday thanks to Twiliter's offer of help.
Must say I am impressed. I think the item has received a lot of unwarranted criticism - mainly from those who haven't handled it.
To my mind, it's as good as the 30th ST300 LM released back in 2013.

Oh and I've just realised the significance of 169.... I was the first born in 1969 - got my picture in the local papers  :angel:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 91.95 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 95.47 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:31:20 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ru Offline wowaboro

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 03:15:15 PM
     Thanks wowaboro! Thats a great tshirt, even comes in classy 35th anniversary packaging.  I hope they will have some new design shirts this year.  I ordered some of the regular ones for myself and a MUT one for my son when they started the 75% off sale. With that much of a price drop I guessed maybe they were about to change them.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 04:04:18 PM
So what are the main differences between the heritage and the colectors items?
Any pics?
Please.
Thank you.
Enjoy!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 12:37:45 PM
:pok:   ^^^ Read post 37  ^^^   :pok:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
:pok:   ^^^ Read post 37  ^^^   :pok:

Haha, thank you!  :cheers:
Enjoy!

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 02:52:13 PM
Did anyone else pick up the Collector Version? Does it seem like fresh tool molds of quality build? I don't know enough about the tools to know if these are all new molds? I'm contemplating picking one up with my birthday money.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:22 PM

:pok:   ^^^ Read this thread  ^^^   :pok:

And the other one on the Heritage edition!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:53:32 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:31 PM

:pok:   ^^^ Read this thread  ^^^   :pok:

And the other one on the Heritage edition!!

Thanks! I did actually read through both and it seemed to be of really good quality, and the tools seemed to be solid. I was just curious if there was anymore input  :D

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 12:47:53 AM
Well I jumped in too expecting a number in the 200’s. Surprisingly got number 80 of 500! Here’s some pics I’m thinking of doing a full on review with a standard PST like OP did perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:54:14 AM by Shadowtek »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #52 on: March 10, 2018, 02:29:43 AM
Well I jumped in too expecting a number in the 200’s. Surprisingly got number 80 of 500! Here’s some pics I’m thinking of doing a full on review with a standard PST like OP did perhaps.

Nice one!  :like:

More info and observations would be great!  :cheers:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #53 on: March 10, 2018, 03:00:42 AM

:dd:

Offline jdonovan

• New User
Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:13 AM

I got mine last week, #257. I guess they don't ship out the pieces in sequential order, numbers are assigned to the orders at random.  I asked Leatherman if a specific number could be requested, unfortunately they said No.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:39:14 AM by jdonovan »

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #55 on: March 12, 2018, 02:41:31 PM
Here's some more photo's and kinda my thoughts/ review on it compared to the original PST. I'm still a Leatherman newbie in a lot of ways so bear with me. I got number 80 of 500, and it is also stamped with 07/17 in one of the handles. The other one has the 80/500 laser engraved inside.

The presentation case, and outside look beautiful of course, which I already posted pics of that I think. You can tell it was meant to have a really good presentation, the case, sleeve, and everything felt high quality to me.

Pliers- Digging in a little bit, once you open it you notice right away the bigger plier head and bigger Pivot if you have an earlier PST. Mine is from 95. The Collector's edition or CE as I'm going to call it has the hard wire notch which I think only the later model PST's had. Pliers felt heafty and solid I already used them once. It was a little less "oiled" feeling then my original PST. Which could be due to use even though the PST I have was new old stock really so it wasn't used hardly at all. The CE felt a little stiff on that front but I suspect it will loosen up. Second picture the one on the right is the CE.

Handles - They are basically identical to the original especially the ruler is very very close. Obviously the stamps on the outside are slightly different and you can tell from the pics I'm going to attach as well. They "cut" into your hand when doing a ton of torquing with the pliers. So nothing really improved here but nothing extra annoying either.

Tools - If you look down "in between" the tools at their base on the OG PST there's silver washers or separaters I guess? in between the tools. The CE version these appear to be brass/bronze looking which I liked. That might be what they do normally but that was interesting. The tools still clump a little but not as bad as the OG PST which I found odd because the pliers felt so much tighter on the CE.

File - I was kinda disappointed at the CE file. It feels pretty thin on mine and like it could snap easier. If you look in the photos the thickness difference is noticeable. Maybe they used harder steel throughout on the CE so it won't matter but it didn't "feel" as heavy duty. The original one just had Leatherman stamped on it and the CE has Leatherman USA. In the picture the one on the top is the CE, and the bottom one is the OG PST.

Knife - Knife seems pretty basic and straight forward. It's a tad longer on the CE,  it does seem a little thinner from edge to spine as OP pointed out. Functionally though I think it'll be perfect. On the OG PST I broke the tip slightly the first time I used it and I'm still kicking myself, but even if that was there the CE one seems slightly longer. I really like that it is longer, it feels more useful to me.

Phillips Head- You can definitely see the difference in the phillips. On the CE it seems like one solid piece all roughly the same thickness up to the point. On the OG PST you can see a thinner neck right before the "bit." This makes me prefer the newer one slightly I think. It just seems more solid overall. Tool on the right in the pic is the CE.

Flat Heads- The flat heads on the OG and CE look very similar, both have tips taper near the top and both seemed close in thickness and stability and such.

Awl- Same thing as OP said, it is a tad less sharp than the OG and has a little more of a polished look but I think it's still probably sharp enough to get the job done.

Bottle/Can Opener - Looks exactly the same to me. I haven't tested it out but it seems to be great honestly on the CE.

Leather Case - Love the brown leather case. It feels like really high quality and like it will break in nicely.

Overall: The CE is really close to a mid-90's/late PST it seems.  I weighed both of them and the OG PST is actually 5.3-5.4oz and the CE is 5.2oz. This could be the difference in steel or maybe having a slightly thinner file and such. It's interesting the CE is lighter even with the bigger plier head. Obviously it's not a noticeable weight difference between them when you carry them, just interesting. The CE still feels heavy duty and like it can and will get the job done.  I'm seriously considering carrying the CE as a fun conversation piece, I like the thicker pliers and the hard wire notch, and I'm a sucker for old school things. I do have a TTi that I used to carry all the time but it's pretty chunky and I really wanted a 6.5oz or under EDC, because anything more than that and I start to notice it's there and it annoys me. So I can throw the TTi in my bag or such for things needing more tool variety. I'm really curious if the same steel/metal was used on the new one as the original. I know I've seen the knife blade is at least the 420HC but I'm curious on the other tools.
IMG_3726.jpg
* IMG_3726.jpg (Filesize: 266.74 KB)
IMG_3728.jpg
* IMG_3728.jpg (Filesize: 249.5 KB)
IMG_3730.jpg
* IMG_3730.jpg (Filesize: 194.3 KB)
IMG_3733.jpg
* IMG_3733.jpg (Filesize: 244.28 KB)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:09:43 PM by Shadowtek »

us Offline Shadowtek

Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 02:47:35 PM
Some More Pics: Knife on top is OG PST, and also Phillips head on Top is OG PST.   In Ruler picture CE is the one on the left, you can see slight differences in the line marks.

IMG_3745.jpg
* IMG_3745.jpg (Filesize: 232.24 KB)
IMG_3740.jpg
* IMG_3740.jpg (Filesize: 135.62 KB)
IMG_3742.jpg
* IMG_3742.jpg (Filesize: 128 KB)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:54:33 PM by Shadowtek »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 06:42:14 PM
More 07/17 pics!  :like:

Thanks Shadowtek!  :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 02:33:59 PM
cool pics and nice thoughts,  :tu:
I'd bet they are the same steel  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%