Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do You Display Your Collection?

Broudie · 87 · 16728

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: How do You Display Your Collection?
Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 05:31:31 AM
Oops! I seem to have made a post in the middle of a quote. Sorry for the confusion.

Fixed :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:07 AM
Thank you.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:08 AM
Here is the auction I bought from- apparently the guy has a lot more of them.  I bought a 30 pack but I think he offers different amounts depending on how many you need.  I figured I'd start with 30 and go from there. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 11:01:41 PM
I got lucky!  :D

No, no, not like that, I mean really lucky!  :P

These have been discontinued and I managed to get the very last one.  Literally.  this was the floor display model, and since it was a demo I got 10% off on it too.

There are three glass shelves I need to put in it (you can sort of see them on top) but I have to clear out my office/computer room first, so until then it's in the corner of the living room.

Now I'll have some place to display my tools rather than just have them in a drawer.  I just need to decide which 30 tools I am going to put on display!  :D

Def
2013-07-17_17-56-57_998.jpg
* 2013-07-17_17-56-57_998.jpg (Filesize: 181.1 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 11:21:40 PM

These have been discontinued and I managed to get the very last one.  Literally.  this was the floor display model, and since it was a demo I got 10% off on it too.

There are three glass shelves I need to put in it (you can sort of see them on top) but I have to clear out my office/computer room first, so until then it's in the corner of the living room.

Now I'll have some place to display my tools rather than just have them in a drawer.  I just need to decide which 30 tools I am going to put on display!  :D

Def
Very nice! Shall we have a "What 30 tools do I display" thread?  LOL :rofl:

Seriously that is a nice looking glass tower display case. I too have been looking for something similar to that.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:54 PM
I have been on the lookout for one like this for some time- mostly I've been looking at store displays.  I found this one at a place called JYSK.  I don't shop there much, but I'd gone in a few weeks ago to buy a new couch after giving mine to a friend who had just bought a new house and had no money for furniture.  I didn't buy this case then, although I probably should have as they were discontinued right after I discovered them. 

There are something like 5 stores in the chain and the other four are in Quebec, so there's really no hope of me getting another one.  I'd actually given serious thought to building one, but this one was $80 (minus ten percent since it was a demo) which means it cost less than the materials to build one.  I'll probably build a bigger one eventually, but for now I'm happy with it as is.

And yes, eventually I will do a What 30 Tools thread.... although I think the MTO tools will have a distinct advantage!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:37 PM
That is nice Def. I hope you post a photo once your all done with the display case.  I started off with curio cabinets and had to go the route of tool boxes due to room limitations.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 12:00:13 AM
I'm sure there will be lots of photos once it's all set up.  Each shelf looks to be about one square foot (maybe a bit more- it looks like it might be 12x14) so there should be lots of space.  Multiply that by four shelves (although I'm not convinced about the bottom shelf) and you have a pretty good amount of space for showing things off.

I'd kind of thought of lining the inside of the glass on the bottom shelf with foil and using it as a spot to store the sheaths and/or boxes that belong to the various tools on display.  I mean, who really looks at things on the bottom shelf?

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:26 AM
This should give an idea of the size. I put the MTO coins on the top shelf just to show what it would look like.

Overall I'd say this thing is about five and a half feet tall.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

uploadfromtaptalk1374107535223.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1374107535223.jpg (Filesize: 47.05 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:15 AM
Lots of room. Going to look fantastic once you are done.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

Def
Very nice! Shall we have a "What 30 tools do I display" thread?  LOL :rofl:

Seriously that is a nice looking glass tower display case. I too have been looking for something similar to that.

+1 on both counts. :D

I'd love something like that and I have two JYSK stores in a 10km radius from my house. I don't remember ever seeing anything like it there though. Not that I go often.

And a "What 30 tools do I display" thread would be 8) .

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 02:58:05 PM
We can't get members here to agree on three tools let alone 30!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 02:58:44 PM
Oh, and while it probably doesn't have an English name where you are, here it was called the Saga, in case that helps.

Def

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:14 AM
These collection photos are amazing! More!  :gimme: :drool:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 07:20:10 AM
I don't have any pictures to show at the moment but will try and get some tomorrow to post up.
My main storage cabinet is an old typographer's cabinet made of oak that contains 24 drawers that measure approximately 36" wide by 18" deep by 1" high(90cm x 45cm x 2.5cm).There were many dividers in this case when I first received it(a Christmas present from my wife)but I had soon modified the drawers to accept various sizes of knives.
A secondary storage box in the form of an antique wooden cigar box with 12 drawers measuring approximately 17" wide by 6" deep by 8" high holds many(about 700 at last count)of my smaller knives.
I also have old machinists' tool chests made of wood(and a couple metal ones as well) that I bought and decorated(I'm a retired sign artist by trade)to look like old sign kits.These hold various knives and one is devoted strictly to straight and early safety razors. I also have several old briefcases that hold various kitchen utensils.
It can be a bit confusing as I have been collecting knives since I was 10 years old(I'll be 70 in January)and rarely part with a knife except maybe to trade.At last count I was somewhere north of 2,000 knives.
As an aside:I noticed that some who use tool boxes have them lined with those non skid mesh liners.I would urge that you NOT use them on knives that have plastic or synthetic scales(handle covers)as it has been my observation that some plastics will start a chenical reaction in those liners that will damage the knives. I would urge you to change over to felt linings for the drawers.Felt can be bought in yard goods stores very reasonably and will not react with any handles that I know of. It is best cut with a rotary knife(similar to a pizza cutter)on a firm surface(not cardboard) using a straight edge to guide the cutter.I sometimes glue the felt in using spray adhesive but if used it should be allowed to dry thoroughly before putting any knives inside as the chemicals out gassing during the drying process can damage knives as well.
Sorry for the longwindedness(?) but I felt that it was a subject that should be addressed.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 09:38:46 AM
DEF where did you get those stands? I have always wanted some of those. Can't wait to see that display full.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:35 AM

DEF where did you get those stands? I have always wanted some of those. Can't wait to see that display full.  :tu:

There are a few different kinds available on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i...holder+easel&_sacat=0

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 12:36:42 PM

Here is the auction I bought them from:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281091375916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I believe the guy sells them in different amounts.  I bought 30 because that seemed to be the best cost+shipping/unit ratio.  :D

Def

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 10:14:06 PM
I was hoping you weren't going to say ebay.  :(
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:31 PM

You have to start ebaying one day. :pok:

:D

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 10:56:22 PM
I don't know what all you have Boss but what I'd personally like to see displayed are various Classics, vintage Cellidor and some Alox.
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:04 PM
I don't know what all you have Boss but what I'd personally like to see displayed are various Classics, vintage Cellidor and some Alox.

Unfortunately I sold a lot of that stuff back to Felinevet a couple of years ago, so much of my ALOX is on display in other people's collections now.

Def

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 02:31:56 AM

Unfortunately I sold a lot of that stuff back to Felinevet a couple of years ago, so much of my ALOX is on display in other people's collections now.

Def

How are you doing on cellidor?
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:58 AM
Still got a pile of cellidor thankfully.

Def

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:27 PM

You have to start ebaying one day. :pok:

:D

I had a Paypal and Ebay account briefly and it was great. Well the buying was great. Dealing with Paypal and all the information they wanted was ridiculous. They asked me to take a picture of my Social Security card and send it to them.  :think: I told them what I thought about doing that and I never used Paypal or Ebay again. Paypal suspended my account and held my funds. Lucky I saw it coming and took everything, but 25 cents out of my account. My Ebay days are over until they come up with a different payment option not linked with Paypal. If this has changed someone please let me know.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: July 23, 2013, 12:26:10 AM
I don't have any pictures to show at the moment but will try and get some tomorrow to post up.

Good post Ray  :salute:

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 08:48:09 AM
In one of these :) using ikea dvd drawer liners to keep things neat

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :like:
I like living in that place where past and future meet present. :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%