Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Definition of new.

GigaHz · 18 · 2828

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Definition of new.
on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:06 AM
Lets hear your definition of new. I got a "New" knife. It came in a new box but no paperwork. There is a scratch in the scale that will catch a fingernail. Also many smudges in the scales that don't wipe off. I guess they are small scratches. It also appears to be over oiled with motor oil. It smells and tastes funny for vic oil. The oil is also yellow. Plus there is so much oil, every time you close things and reopen them, more oil appears. Over all I would rate it a 9.9 out of 10, but not new.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Definition of new.
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17:44 AM
New to me is just off the factory floor
New-ish is almost new, missing box or papers just under mint.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:29:33 AM
doesn't sound like new to me. i would be a bit disappointed with that to be frank. what make model is it?

where did you get it from? and do you have any pics?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:31:33 AM by 5hif7y »
-----5hif7y-----

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:33:36 AM
It was a Vic off of fleabay from a person, not one of the big sellers. I can live with out a box or paperwork, but it can't have scratches and still be new.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:08 AM
I don't count papers, unless they are special papers, because sometime new Vic knives appear to be missing the papers and most are not worth anything.  But say on a SwissChamp or an Expedition-Lite I'd expect the papers, but no need for a Spartan. 

New knives can have the scales quite scratched up by poor shipping, but sounds like this one might be a bit beyond that.  I like to use the word MINT for a perfect knife rather than 'new'.  Many 'new' knives are not actually MINT from Victorinox.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 12:48:16 AM
I thin most people refer the (in)famous NIB when they have a "new" item, that was just opened, played a bit, and kept back again on the box. For me that's fine a long as the merchandise is generally unscratched. Unfortunately I've come across a few so called NIBs that had some marks on, although generally ok -- like you say, a 9.9 on 10. These should not be classified as new nor NIB.

But it could be worst, I guess. Here, on local classifieds, every single used item to be sold is ALWAYS in "perfect condition, as new", even if it's dropping in pieces.  :drink:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:53 AM
I consider New and NIB to be the same. If I even cut a piece of paper or turned a screw with it I will generally classify it as Like New in Box (LNIB) or lightly used.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:29 AM
I consider New and NIB to be the same. If I even cut a piece of paper or turned a screw with it I will generally classify it as Like New in Box (LNIB) or lightly used.

+1

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:04 PM
Lets hear your definition of new. I got a "New" knife. It came in a new box but no paperwork. There is a scratch in the scale that will catch a fingernail. Also many smudges in the scales that don't wipe off. I guess they are small scratches. It also appears to be over oiled with motor oil. It smells and tastes funny for vic oil. The oil is also yellow. Plus there is so much oil, every time you close things and reopen them, more oil appears. Over all I would rate it a 9.9 out of 10, but not new.

Lots of new SAKS I have gotten have that yellowish lube on them in huge amounts.  I bought some old stock vics that were never used but so over oiled the boxes they came in were stained yellow.  So the lube part sounds normal to me, but not the scratch.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:49 PM
Here is another "New" knife, I just got. The rest of the knife does look new, but not this crack.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:52 PM
i would contact the seller.

thats not "new" IMO.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25:06 PM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:30 PM
Does this look new to anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140705029824?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1081wt_961
That is one of those you should probably ask the seller to explain the marks seen on the blade. It could be new but have rub marks on the blade due to a misaligned blade that scrapes across the liner.  :B:

us Offline Makaveli

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:24 AM
Personally the word "new" is meaningless to me when I'm buying things online.  I'd rather ask specific
questions even if they seem ridiculous just to be sure of what to expect.  I had to learn the hard way when
I bought a "new without box" item and upon receiving it didn't fit the bill.  Since I'm halfway across the
globe it wasn't worth it to send it back plus it wasn't that expensive of a knife.  Lesson well learned.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 07:15:48 AM
I normally like using LNIB even if its new. I'd rather someone get more then they expect then less. :moss:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:35 AM
I normally like using LNIB even if its new. I'd rather someone get more then they expect then less. :moss:

shes telling the truth. :tu:
I bought a broken victorinox classic from Ashley..........and I got a NEW VICTORINOX SPIRIT!!    :rofl: :rofl:
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Offline RedRamage

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 05:04:21 PM
For what it's worth, I have had good luck polishing up scales of older SAKs that aren't available new anymore.  But that big of a chunk out of the scale wouldn't polish up, and definitely is NOT new.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%