Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Two days with the Swisstool.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Two days with the Swisstool.
on: January 17, 2008, 03:15:45 AM
Each member who gets a Swisstool for the first time deserves his own thread :D

First off, Tim sent out my Swisstool and bit kit immediately after payment, and I received it Priority Mail (across the country) two days before I even expected to see it.  I even got the standard cordura sheath in addition to the plus sheath  Great guy, great prices, great tools!

So far over the past two days I've only used the pliers and Phillips, and it's like second nature.  I thought it might be unweildly for a while after using my SOG for everything, but nope, the Swisstool had no "learning curve". 

Today I was up on a work table and a plastic fixture that needed to be stable was loose...I went for the sheath and had the Swisstool and it's Phillips head out in no time and tightened the screw before I even knew I was using my new Swisstool!

I wore the plus sheath with the bit kit and wrench around the house just to see if it would work EDCing it, but found it stuck out too far (and I don't like velcro).  No big deal; I'll probably put the bit kit and wrench in my camo shopping bag that I EDC to work.  I've already filled the "SWISS MADE" red plastic bit holder with "odd" bits like Allen, Torx, and hex.  I carry enough ways to turn flatheads and Phillips, so those bits weren't that necessary.  That took me by surprise, the SWISS MADE imprinted in the plastic of the bit holder.  Something like that you'd expect to be farmed out to china, but apparently Victorinox is keeping the local plastic molding companies in business!  I woulden't be surprised if the clean, crisp bits were made in Switzerland also!

One gripe so far with the actual Swisstool is that the pliers don't open as much as I'd like.  I think I measured 3/4" for the Swisstool and 1 1/4" for the Powerlock (although you'd have to use two hands to get a grip.). 

Other than that I feel really comfortable carrying the Swisstool on my belt. 

Anyone else heard of this tool?

:D
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Two days with the Swisstool.
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:24:45 AM
hmmm lemme think  :think:

congrats bro, pictures would be nice!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:25:42 AM
How long did it take to get to your door? The Swisstool is a phenomenal tool! Are you going to EDC the ST instead of the powerlock?
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:27:46 AM
Sounds like someone found a new friend! ;)

So about the "plus" sheath (I've never handled one) it's really really thick? Would the wrench and bits be better placed along the side of the tool?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:11:33 AM
Sounds like someone found a new friend! ;)

So about the "plus" sheath (I've never handled one) it's really really thick? Would the wrench and bits be better placed along the side of the tool?
I have a Spirit Plus and yes, the sheath on it sticks out a lot. I only wear it when I expect a to encounter a lot of different screws. :)
Otherwise it sits in a drawer in the "office" (strategically located in the middle of the house.
-------
Alexei

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:35:55 AM
Congrats on the ST.   

I have own one for several years and everytime I get a bug to try a "new" tool I compare it to the ST and the ST stays the EDC and the unfortunate one gets traded or returned.

I have compared the Leatherman series, Kershaw, Buck, Schrade and even the famous SOG Power Lock.    ALL WERE SHAMED AND WENT AWAY CRYING ( well maybe not the last part).

The only one I found to be its equal was the Victorinox Spirit (smaller, lighter with more features).  Be faithful to your ST it will be faithful to you.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 01:31:45 PM
ALL WERE SHAMED AND WENT AWAY CRYING

You mean like this?

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 04:25:35 PM
                I haven't used my Swisstool much yet,but I've started to edc it. I keep my Spirit in reserve,in case I have to go someplace more genteel. Wish Victorinox would revise the wire cutters ,otherwise it's a perfect tool.
T

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:23:42 PM
Glad to hear that you like it (although I am not surprised).  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:23:48 AM
How long did it take to get to your door? The Swisstool is a phenomenal tool! Are you going to EDC the ST instead of the powerlock?

I think 3 days!

Yea, I'll be EDCing it in either it's Cordura sheath (really nice) or my Leather Mag Lite/Multitool combo sheath. 

Just today I used the main blade as a mirror to check my teeth after a sandwich...the mirror in the bathroom was unavailable due to a stench as solid as a concrete wall.  I really wish my co-worker would stay away from pickled eggs.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 12:27:40 AM

I think 3 days!

Yea, I'll be EDCing it in either it's Cordura sheath (really nice) or my Leather Mag Lite/Multitool combo sheath. 

Just today I used the main blade as a mirror to check my teeth after a sandwich...the mirror in the bathroom was unavailable due to a stench as solid as a concrete wall.  I really wish my co-worker would stay away from pickled eggs.

Does Vic quote "mirror" as a function? :D
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 04:38:52 AM
What blade style works best to cut through stench as solid as a concrete wall....plain edge or serrated? :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 05:25:39 AM
What blade style works best to cut through stench as solid as a concrete wall....plain edge or serrated? :P
                I don't know which style would be best.But if a stench was that solid,the blade had better be disposable. :D
I

Offline TWBryan

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 02:14:09 PM
           Borrow a Leatherman for the job? >:D
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 08:13:33 PM
Congrats on your new Swisstool  :D  When you said the pliers didnt open that far I am wondering which year your pliers are . The earlier ones opened further .

Dunc

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 02:21:55 AM
Congrats on your new Swisstool  :D  When you said the pliers didnt open that far I am wondering which year your pliers are . The earlier ones opened further .

Dunc

2005 version.

The other day I used the pliers to bend back a thin metal blade, and today I turnt some crusty screws and bolts on and old ceiling fan and an old (manual!) firehouse water pump.  I opened up a crate before I realized I had a "Strong Crate Opener" on my Swisstool...I used a prybar and hammer!

So far I haven't run into anything it coulden't do that another tool could. 
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD