Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got my hands on an old army pocket-knife (pic heavy)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
First some background info ...

When I was young, I spend some time with the brother of my grandmother, he was a tall guy who worked at the docks.  He told me stories about World War II (he was 6 when the war started), and he gave me one of my first pocket knives (I have it here somewhere, I'll post a pic from that knife later in this topic).

Now, about a year ago, he had an accident with his bicycle, and since then he hasn't been his old self anymore.  He spent some time in the hospital, later he went to a rehabilitation centre, but sadly, there has been no progress ... 

So sadly, now he has to move to a retirement home.  My mother and her brothers are cleaning up his house and I told her to keep an eye out for pocket knives and stuff I might find interesting (because I know they would just throw stuff like that in the trash  ::)).

Yesterday my mother called to tell me they had found 3 pocket knives and 1 hunting knife, one of these I had seen on the internet before, so I took it home with me to clean it up in time.  The others are still at my parents home, I'll post pics from them later in this topic (but I think they aren't very special, but than again, I don't know much about "old knives").

Anyway, here are the pics from the first knife:

There's a lot of dirt inside the knife ...

And here are some pics next to my Victorinox Huntsman, for size comparison.

Now I know the Belgian Army had these, but then there's a date stamp (usually 1950 and later) and the markings ABL (Armée Belg(e)isch Leger = Belgian Army) on them.  Is there anybody here who can tell me more about this kind of knife.  I'm very thrilled about this, first of all, this is by far the oldest knife in my collection, and second, this knife has its own history, and last but not least, knowing it's been in my family for a long time, all of this makes it very special for me  ;).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Got my hands on an old army pocket-knife (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:42 AM
Beautiful knife!

While I can't say much about that specific knife, I can say that similar pattern knives have been used by a number of militaries.  I think the UK and Australia have similar issue knives, but it's hardly my area of expertise.  There's a few guys here that I'm certain will be able to tell you a lot more, and I look forward to reading it too!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

be Offline dodge_911

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:53 AM
I also have some of those lying around...
But as far as usability, I don't like it very much.
I must dig'em out sometime and snap some pics of 'em.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:09 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen  ;).

Today at work I showed this topic to a colleague/friend of mine and he immediately said that this knife was Britisch. 

He's no knife expert but he does have a nice collection of World War I and World War II artifacts, and he told me that he recognized the arrow shaped markings on the left side of the date stamp.  He said this was called a "Broad Arrow", and that this "Broad Arrow mark" was the oldest and most common mark of British government ownership.  He told me that The Broad Arrow can be found on every single piece of army equipment made by the British government, on every soldiers spoon, knife, ...

I told him he should join this forum, knowing he owns a Leatherman and a Victorinox pocket knife, and that he also bought both of these tools for his father, I think he should fit in rather well here ...  ;)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:25 PM
Now that I know it's British, I've been doing some research and I found that it's called an "Army issue clasp knife", and that is was made by a company called Sheffield Steel Products (S.S.P. stamp next to the Broad Arrow and the date stamp). 

This pattern of clasp knife was standard British Army issue from the late 1930s until the early 1950s. It featured a marlinspike and can-opener, in addition to a blade. The grip 'scales' are made of Bexoid - a celluloid based material.

FULL NAME:        army issue clasp knife
SIMPLE NAME:     knife, British
Materials scales:  bexoid
Creator:             Sheffield Steel Products, Sheffield
Object Type:       knife
Category:           weapons and ammunition

au Offline Dutchy357

• Visit me at www.australianmilitaryknives.com
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:28:14 PM
Excellent find.  Pretty good condition.  Pity you cant get its history.  If it could only talk.

Good usable knife or the centrepoint for your new Military Knife Collection!!

Just as a matter of interest, your knife has a copper shackle, the Brits stopped using copper from 19421 on due to its importance as a war material and all the shackles on their knives were steel thereafter.

Regards Dutchy
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
Plato (427-347 BC)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:31:46 PM
I've had very similar knives pass through my hands.  Many British manufacturers made that pattern for the armed forces.  If they aren't all rusted over most can be cleaned up to usability again.  That said you need thumbnails of steel if you want to use them regularly :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

IzzyJG99

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:27:24 PM
Yep. Most likely a Sheffield. The SSP obviously proves it, I think. Made a lot of them for the Royal Navy and replicated by a lot of countries. I think there's three or four (never handled them) of these at one of the antique stores near where I live. Might have to check them out to see if they have any stamps on them.

Yours is special because it's marked as being made during World War II. So it's got that extra bit of history and makes it more special. Of course it is already special because it belonged to a family member. Like Neil said you can clean them up and they actually work pretty well. I know a lot of guys who are REALLY, REALLY into sailboats use these because you have that big honking solid piece of steel for a Marlin Spike.

I'd clean it up and sharpen it. Maybe frame it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:34:50 PM by IzzyJG99 »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
Good story  :salute:

Nice knife  :tu:  Are the blades hard to open?

@Neil,  :P

:D
Everything’s adjustable

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys  :tu:.

I haven't cleaned it up yet, cleaned up the blade a bit (not much) but when I find a bit more time I will do the rest. 

And yes, the blades are a true pain in the **s to open ...

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:54 PM

Yep as said above there’s not a fault with your knife, they are all the same more or less  :)

A drop of oil and it will be ok for another 70 years  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:48 PM
I have a couple of these. Will have to look at the markings on them.

Offline b.macavoy

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:47 AM
This might be a dumb question, but why would a British soldier need a marlin spike?
 :think:   :salute:

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:51:59 AM
I believe another use for the Marlinspike was as a hoof pick. I've seen them referred to as a Cavalryman's knife a few times. Also ropework was more commonplace...no ratcheting nylon straps and velcro back then.

GSterling

Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21:32 PM
there are no dumb questions . keep 'em coming B  :cheers:

Offline b.macavoy

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:19 AM
Thank you G.
 :D
Actually, my grandfather retired as a General, US Army (Cav).
Makes perfect sense as a horse shoe pick.
Good, because I am just learning, lots of questions.  :whistle:

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:34 AM
Amici,
That particular knife was issued to BOTH members of the Royal Navy as well as the Army, hence the addition of a marlin spike. The Italian navy as well as the USN still issues something of a very similar pattern to their sailors.

Just a few years ago, you could get these in unissed condition still wrapped in wax paper and covered in cosmoline next to nothing. Since those days, the market has pretty much dried up.

As a WW2 reenactor, I remember seeing British and Royal Canadian Army reenactors using these in their personal kits.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline JimShockz

• The early bird get the Worm!
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 05:27:25 PM
Amici,
That particular knife was issued to BOTH members of the Royal Navy as well as the Army, hence the addition of a marlin spike. The Italian navy as well as the USN still issues something of a very similar pattern to their sailors.

Just a few years ago, you could get these in unissed condition still wrapped in wax paper and covered in cosmoline next to nothing. Since those days, the market has pretty much dried up.

As a WW2 reenactor, I remember seeing British and Royal Canadian Army reenactors using these in their personal kits.

Cheers,
Serge

We attended a WWII reenactment in Orlando about 6 months ago,the weapons demonstration
was incredible,we also were able to get into the tanks and armored vehicles, great fo the kids. :salute:

-JH   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD