Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrated vs. non-serrated

FredKJ · 18 · 6377

Offline FredKJ

Serrated vs. non-serrated
on: January 17, 2008, 05:02:19 PM
I know I've seen a little discussion on serrated blades.  Wenger has some of their models with serrated blades.  I'm kind of the sharpness weirdo and am interested in other's views.  While I like to get an edge literally mirror polished razor sharp there is one case where that is not the best.  The term "sharp" has different meanings depending on what a blade is sharp for.  There is one case where you don't want a mirror polished razor edge and that is for cutting rope and cord.  This is where a serrated edge has a clear advantage.  It also doesn't need the same sharpening maintainence.  For a knife to have a serrated blade I also like it to have an additional regular blade.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Serrated vs. non-serrated
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:10:17 PM
I like a "micro serrated" edge- basically a plain edge that has been sharpened down to a medium grit to leave a microscopic jagged edge which gives the blade some bite on anything.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:10:26 PM
I prefer non serrated blades. That said, my Spirit S has both and my non-serrated blade is my user blade, along with the Wenger PTC. That way my serrated blade stays laser sharp in case I need it in an emergency, like cutting a seat belt in a burning car.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:28:13 PM
I have pretty much the same opinion as you, Fred.  I like my plain edge knives to be as sharp as possible, but I appreciate a serrated blade for some tasks.  If I carry a serrated blade, it is always in addition to a very sharp plain-edge blade.

Since I always have a SAK of some sort on me, I tend to carry a regular Swisstool Spirit (w/scissors).  If I carry my Swisstool X, I usually pair it with an OHT.
- Terry

Offline TWBryan

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:35:49 PM
          On the whole I prefer plain blades as they tend to be more useful. I do see that the serrated blade is more useful in some specific areas. I'm one of the few that think the serrated butterknife on the Spirit is neat. :-[
T

us Offline Splat

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:22:05 PM
I do cut rope/cord and other things where a PE blade might not cut it(pun intended). On <3" blades I think combos are almost useless and would go PE. My CRKT M2114's 4" blade is combo but there's enough of the PE and SE that either works very well.
Splat

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:34:19 PM
I really like serrated blades... It cuts basically everything and it stays sharp for a long time and very easy to sharpen! Well, with the Smith sharpening stick I bought..
B

us Offline Splat

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 12:20:30 AM
I just got a DMT sharpener for serrations. It looks pretty damn easy. OK, I haven't technically sharpened serrations yet but I can't understand why everyone says it's so hard to do. Maybe if you're doing a fully serrated 6" knife then that's a lot of serrations to do, but on a 3"-4" knife I can't see it being that much of a PITA. Guess I'm gonna find out soon.   :D
Splat

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 03:05:00 AM
I generally prefer PEs but as far as serrated blades go, Victorinox got it right. They are on the correct end of the blade and the cut of them is very good and I have not found them to bind like others do.
T

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 03:30:19 PM
I like both serrated and plain edge blades, but not in half/half combination.  The serrated blade cuts much faster when cutting fibrous material like plants or rope and I favor it when doing outdoor yard work.

The tip of the Spyderco Native shown on the right below is plain edge while the major portion of the blade is serrated.  This proportion works well for me.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:56:49 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline kreskin13

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 03:59:31 PM
I like both types of blades, although depending on the situation one is better than the other. I would like to see a design like this with both types of blades instead of 2 PE's. Maybe it's already out there, anyone know?

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/columbia_river_knife_and_tool/crkt_kiss_twotimer.html

Calvin
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 04:41:12 PM
I'd just rather make my own serrated blades with a rough stone as Def was talking about above.  I've done this for years on a tip from a knife-sharpening site.  I think the whole serrated thing started with the tough-looking tactical knives or maybe the Ginsu knife craze.

One of my favorite "serrated" knives is the Boye knife Basic with what he calls Dendritic Cobalt.  The crystals in the steel form micro serrations that really cut well without the need for visual serrations or special sharpeners.  The blade looks normal, but it works like a serrated.

Check it out:

http://boyeknives.com/Index.cfm?CFID=2847918&CFTOKEN=32103813&jsessionid=a4302584741f4428783e

Offline kreskin13

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 05:54:04 PM
Look what I found in my box of toys.

Calvin
IMGP0472_2.jpg
* IMGP0472_2.jpg (Filesize: 89.13 KB)
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 05:55:22 PM
Another shot.

Calvin
IMGP0473_2.jpg
* IMGP0473_2.jpg (Filesize: 112.85 KB)
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 06:15:36 PM
I always liked the concept of dendritic cobalt blades, but they didn't last long and so I thought that while the theory was sound they must have been a gimmick.  I remember reading about Paul's "new" blades when they first came out and they were part of this outdoors series with animal and nature scenes etched on the blades, similar to the Franklin Mint garbage.  That may have hurt them as lots of other people probably saw them the way I did.

I wouldn't mind giving one a shot someday.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 06:22:28 PM
I always liked the concept of dendritic cobalt blades, but they didn't last long and so I thought that while the theory was sound they must have been a gimmick.  I remember reading about Paul's "new" blades when they first came out and they were part of this outdoors series with animal and nature scenes etched on the blades, similar to the Franklin Mint garbage.  That may have hurt them as lots of other people probably saw them the way I did.

I wouldn't mind giving one a shot someday.

Def

I just like the way the knife looked, very minimalist. I don't know nuttin' bout birthin' no babies or dendritic cobalt!

Calvin
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:18 PM
I have the Basic 1, 2, & 3 & like them a bunch, although I don't carry fixed blades very often.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 12:51:54 AM
I have the Basic 1, 2, & 3 & like them a bunch, although I don't carry fixed blades very often.

Nice!

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24