Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A trio of new GEC's!

2xTap · 13 · 3504

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
A trio of new GEC's!
on: January 14, 2012, 04:36:09 PM
Since this past Christmas I have snagged myself several new slippies. Just now getting around to taken pics of some of them. The first pics I have taken are of my latest Great Easterns, 3 of them in 2 of their most recent patterns. The first of these is one of their White Owls.......

The White Owl is a pattern #68 pen knife measuring in at 3 1/2" closed and very slender. My particular version here is of the Tidioute line with brass liners and pins, nickle/silver bolsters and shield, and brush finished 1095 carbon steel blades. Scales are smooth black Buffalo Horn.......

It's a neat little slippie, disappears in a pocket. Typical of GEC the fit and finish is impeccable, and as it only uses a single backspring for both blades the frame is quite slim......

Great little piece of pocket cutlery.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Re: A trio of new GEC's!
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:09 PM
Next up is a pattern that I have quickly grown to like. This one is a pattern #85 Bullet End Jack, similar to Teardrop and Torpedo Jacks from other makes. A great pattern design and GEC makes them look good.

These are 3 5/8" in the closed position. My version here is of the Northfield line sporting brass liners and pins, nickle/silver shield and pinched & grooved bolsters, as well as swedged mirror polished 1095 blades with a long pull master. Handle material on mine is Cocobolo.......

In my opinion a superb version of a very classic slipjoint. And as always, the fit and finish is flawless.....

I liked this one so much I had to get another one, which will be up next.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:01:17 PM
This next one is a variation of the #85 Bullet End Jack........

It's a SFO Harness Jack with a improved Punch Blade, slightly different from their regular run of Harness Jacks they do in this pattern. This one is of the Northfield line and really done over as it does have the fancy pinched & grooved nickle/silver bolsters and gimp shield, but the liners and pins are also of nickle/silver. Blades are mirror polished 1095 with the main having a long pull master as well as being swedged and marked with the "Real Harness Knife" blade etch. Scales on this bad boy are Ebony.......

And not much to say about the fit and finish, it is a Great Eastern......

This one also came with a neat little story/description added to the tube packaging about these particular Harness Jacks.......

Great Eastern is really setting the bar high for production level slipjoints, their quality is just superb. I can't get enough of these.

2xTap

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:42:34 PM
Very nice.

I quite like the wood and the "German style clip" blades on the last two.

Also, interesting  awl on the last one.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:08:28 PM
 :drool:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:09:50 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

de Offline Jmora

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:18:18 AM
great knives, I like seeing how nicely fitted the backsprings are. will get myself a GEC sometime in the next couple of months, once I've taken care of some of other more boring expenses.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:03 AM

I quite like the wood and the "German style clip" blades on the last two.

I can honestly say that is the first time I have ever heard of the term "German Style Clip". In reference to Spearpoint blades, in which Clip styles are the opposite, exactly what is a German Style Clip Blade? From my understanding the term Clip comes from the fact the blade is "clipped" from the spine to the point in a concave fashion giving it it's name.

great knives, I like seeing how nicely fitted the backsprings are. will get myself a GEC sometime in the next couple of months, once I've taken care of some of other more boring expenses.

Jmora,

I highly recommend, once you have a chance, to snag yourself a GEC. They are well worth it. The problem with them is that they tend to set ones standards even higher.....and tend to make everything else pale in comparison.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:02:21 AM
Self control went out the window, I like the Ebony version so much I went and ordered it's brother. The only other #85 available with the Improved Punch......

......in Antique Walnut Jigged Bone.

2xTap

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
Superb, all of them. :tu:

I especially like the look of the punch... nice to see other useful tools on slippies. It is good and shrp?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 05:10:44 PM
"German style clip"

I have a few German made slipjoints and they have the same style rounded false top edge.

It was in quotations since it is not an official term in any way.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:40:12 PM
Superb, all of them. :tu:

I especially like the look of the punch... nice to see other useful tools on slippies. It is good and shrp?

The Punch on these is what caught my interest, very unique design. The tip of the Punch makes a nearly half circle shape due to it's design, and relatively thin and sharp at this curve. Definitely a more dedicate leather hole punch compared to the more modern design awls we see on Scout pattern slippies or on SAK's. The inside edge on these is sharpened it's full length as well.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%