Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommendation: Which 4 layer SAK? (Huntsman, Mountaineer, Explorer)

nl Offline SteelWing

I have been using a Victorinox Climber (plus mini screwdriver) for quite a while and like its tool set a lot. However, for some reason, its thickness just does not feel right in my hand. On the other hand, both 2 and 4 layers do seem to feel right in my hand. Since I do not want to lose the functionalities of the Climber, I am considering adding another layer for the ergonomics. As far as I know, there are three models that are basically the Climber with an additional layer. They are: the Huntsman, Mountaineer and Explorer.

I am mostly in an urban environment, so I suppose the saw of the Huntsman is not that useful (or are there people who do use a saw in the city?). This limits it to either the Mountaineer or the Explorer. I have used the inline Phillips screwdriver before and really like it, but I have only once or twice encountered very tight screws that could not be turned with the tip of the can opener. Does the inline Phillips also turn screw sizes that the can opener tip cannot? On the other hand, I do not remember ever needing a file.

I think SAKS are really for unexpected situations. Would urban unexpected situations be likelier to require a file or (stronger) Phillips screwdriver (or even a wood saw)? As I mentioned, the Climber already does anything I have needed until now, but I just want another layer for better ergonomics, so the extra tool might as well be for unexpected situations.

I look forward to your responses.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
There is also the Deluxe Climber (and Deluxe Tinker) if you find the Pliers more useful than a saw.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I agree with a lot of what you are saying; the can opener end is very good as a Phillips and the saw is of limited use in a City, though I have found it excellent on drywall and some plastics.  For me the file just has more all-round appeal for in the City, and I'm saying this as a die-hard Huntsman fan. ;)

You could go the other way and look at the two layer Compact, but it's not not so good with Phillips. :-\  Not impossible mind you, just not as easy to tackle.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
How about an LED light and a Phillips? Voyager Lite and Traveller Lite are nice models and you get the fancy electronics as a bonus :)

nl Offline SteelWing

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not like the pliers in the SAKs and I also do not like the idea of having electronic components in the tool. The Compact is indeed practically the Climber in 2 layers, but I should add that I think 2 layers are too light (although nice thickness in the hand). So that still leaves my original three choices:

Wood saw
File
Better, but slightly redundant Phillips screwdriver

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Of the choices offered , I'd vote Huntsman , just preference !

Chris

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Keep in mind that the Phillips layer is thicker than the wood saw or the metal file/saw. May be something to consider since you are quite focused on thickness.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I used to EDC a Wenger Forester, the Wenger version of the Huntsman, for 12 years. That's the one that got me into this SAK madness. :ahhh The tool configuration on the Forester/Huntsman is great. But I can remember only a handful of situations where I needed the saw, and in most cases the metal file would have been more useful. The metal file or wood saw are indeed the thinner than the in line phillips, maybe even the Ranger wouldn't be a bed choice for you. Here's a pic of the 3, 4 and 5 layered SAKs by thickness.

Camper, Climber, Mountaineer (same thickness as the Huntsman), Explorer, Ranger
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:54:29 PM by enki_ck »

gb Offline Pignut71

I've carried the Explorer for over 20 years and to my mind it's the perfect urban EDC. I find the inline Philips far superior to the can opener and I find I use it a lot, kids toys mainly but not exclusively. I also have both tinkers an as of today a rather nice fieldmaster which all have the Philips on the back. This configuration is also good but not as good as the inline Philips. I find the inline fits a much wider variety of screw heads.

I also feel I'm going to damage the end of the can opener if if too heavy handed with it, not so with the inline on back mounted driver.

Having said all of that, all of your original choices are excellent. Make sure you let us know what you decide on.

HTH, Jon.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I carried a climber for around 5 years and loved it but recently i was gifeted a tinke and really like how it fits in your pocket as not too bulky, ive als got a huntsman and think its pretty much perfect for me but as ive a explorer on iys way i see the huntsman ending up my backpack carry for trips and my explorer for General EDC , i dont think you can go wrong with a huntsman though  :tu:

My huntsman
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:34:00 PM by Zed »

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
All of them?  :sa:  :shrug:

I'd say a fieldmaster. Its a huntsman without a cork screw add a phillips. :2tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
I'm a big fan of the Yeoman - as a wide three layer knife it seems to work well for me. Also eliminates having to choose between corkscrew and phillips. Wasn't easy to get one, but worth the wait.

I have a Mountaineer too, but not an Explorer or Huntsman. I think I'd be more likely to need the phillips or mag glass than a file, and very rarely need a woodsaw or at least have a need for a saw that a SAK would fulfill, so I'd have to go for Explorer if pressed.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline MTguy

My favourite edc SAK is my camo huntsman. It just has the best tool layout for me, my saw has actually seen quite a bit of use.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
You can get a lot of enjoyment with the magnifying glass on the Explorer :D I think the knife's well named because when I look through the glass, I see a lot that I never realised existed and it's like having a new world to explore. 
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
My favourite edc SAK is my camo huntsman. It just has the best tool layout for me, my saw has actually seen quite a bit of use.

Camo huntsman you say? Like this one?

gb Offline Pignut71

Love those digi camo scales :drool:

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
The climber is also my favorite standard SAK, and I understand what you're saying about the thickness feeling "off". I also have an Explorer. The Climber is almost as wide as it thick, so it ends to roll about in the pocket and feel funny. The Explorer is wider than it is thick. so it lays flatter in the pocket.

Out of your choices for an urban environment: The Explorer.

The inline phillips is useful because it has a long reach. The can-opener phillips works, but if you need reach, then the inline phillips shines.  A good example is tightening the screws on a doorknob. The doorknob obstructed access to the screws and the can-opener phillips could not reach it. The inline phillips did the job just fine.

The magnifying glass is useful for all kinds of little things, and you'll  use it more than you think. I've used it for pulling out splinters, inspecting the edge of blades to see if they got chipped,  looking at small parts, etc.

And you could just dangle the Climber (or any SAK) on one of these, which might solve you problem:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:06:04 PM by shamus »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/

Camo huntsman you say? Like this one?

(Image removed from quote.)

:D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:18:18 AM by Reinier »

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Recommendation: Which 4 layer SAK? (Huntsman, Mountaineer, Explorer)
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:36:50 AM
You could also clip it to your pocket using my newest love a p7 suspension clip.

Sent from my Ash forum mobile

nl Offline SteelWing

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems most people favor the Explorer. I see the usefulness of this tool. My father has one and when I tried it, its thickness and weight were pretty much perfect in my hand. The inline Phillips was very easy to use (less slipping than the can opener tip). However, since he already has one, I would like to get a different model, if the alternatives are viable enough. I am probably 99% of the time in an urban environment, so I suppose the file would be more useful than the wood saw. The file just makes it seem like a more complete urban tool to me. Therefore, I am currently leaning towards the Mountaineer (yeah, I don't really like having the exact same tool as someone I know).

So, I am still doubting whether to get the Explorer or the Mountaineer...and I am not going to "get both, when in doubt". I would like to hear more experiences.

cz Offline Rahmed

:pok: Explorer with metal saw/file :tu:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
You cant go wrong with the Explorer.I have all 3 and the Explorer is always with me.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Explorer is getting my vote as well.I've re scaled mine(white plus)and have been carrying it for the past two weeks.I origionally bought it for work use,but it got surplanted by my Huntsman Lite(actually rather nice :drool:),Astronaut(Prefered go to when the SHTF)and cybertool 34(also :drool:).Personnaly I think a Yeoman would be the ultimate solution though.

On the note of 2 layer SAKs,dont forget the DofE,and the Scientist!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Donald

I would be hard pressed to decide between a Huntsman and a Farmer as my favorite edc Victorinox pocket models. For the field I also consider 111mm models. In a Wenger I like the Wenger Evolution S17 for edc pocket carry, especially on trips.

I do appreciate an inline Philips driver and magnifier though. As to the file, as nice as it is to have one, and despite losing the cutting edge, I prefer a diamond file. Thus I tend to pick another tool. Here is an illustration of supplementing my SAK of the moment. It is pasted in from another post, but after removing one sentence, I think it makes sense here.
-----------------

I finally acquired a Harvester a while back, as I thought it would be useful for the very task the name implies. I had not used it and this will be the last you see of it in this new condition. Now though the blades on the Harvester have been convexed and it is in my pocket. It is accompanied in the picture with some other useful pocket tools from my keychain. The Eze-Lap Model H diamond file has been on there for some time in its blue tubular webbing sheath. It can fall out though so you can see it has a tether cord saftey, joined together in the middle by a piece of orange paracord using heat. Continuing clockwise a Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper, BSA Hot Spark, Photon Freedom carried reversed in a "necklace" holder so the button cannot accidentally be depressed, a P-38 with the blade held closed with a paperclip safety, and lastly a perfect complement to many SAKs, the Leatherman Style PS (831488). I mentioned this recently. Highly recommended for under $20 until we have a small version of the Spirit. It is especially appropriate for the Harvester. The SD tip on the fingernail file works in place of the SD tip on the Vic can opener which the Harvester does not have. Further, the P-38 will open any cans, as needed. This lets one have the use of the nifty pruning blade without any drawbacks. I used the Leatherman screwdriver tip the other day to remove a Philips screwdriver that holds the shield in place over the stove top hi-intensity bulbs, when I needed to replace one. They are rather expensive so I had the spare hung high in the pantry on a picture hook. I guess one should make sure the blister pack card is not one of those prone to letting go, but the ones on these bulbs so far have been fine and they do not get to hang there all that long, a few months.

The other good thing about this Leatherman PS, it is supposed to be airline safe, as it does not have a mediocre blade that I do not need. It does have tweezers which are pulled out a bit in the picture so you can see them. I do not know if many courthouses would have a problem with it. Since it does not have a blade I figure even if it did not pass, it should not get one into trouble. Hence it has been on my key chain as I am not as afraid of leaving it there as say a Classic or Esquire. A Wenger Clipper could be another complement, but of course does not have pliers. The carabiner  end not only holds onto the key chain, it aggressively removes bottle caps.
------------------------
I do not find a Philips that useful as a bottom tool as it never seems to reach what I want to turn. I guess I'm more afraid of having a bottle of wine that I cannot conveniently open than a Philips screw I cannot turn. ;) I also use the corkscrew for other tasks from picking open a knot to holding my Vic mini screwdriver, which I also insert in my Wengers.

Here is another alternative which has several pictures and commentary in  the
SAK screw driver questions thread

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
You father already has an Explorer?

Well, go one step up and get the Explorer Plus.

IzzyJG99

I regularly EDC the Explorer Plus and love it. One thing I wish they had done with the Explorer was somehow figure out a way to include a wood saw. But that's just me.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Another vote for the Explorer Plus. Great knife, not too fat, tons of uses. I didn't think that I'd ever use the magnifying glass, but was dead wrong on that. You never realize how useful it can be until you have one on you. The inline Phillips is great, and the pen sees a lot of use, my pens at work have a tendency to end up in my bosses' pocket.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
The Huntsman, Fieldmaster, Mountaineer and Explorer are all excellent models, and I can't really add much to the debate between them other than to toss in the idea of a Compact if you like the feel of the 2-layer and something like the CountyComm pocket driver or their screwkey phillips.

What I will say is, plus scales are pretty much a must have on an around town SAK. I used the pen last week to fill out a bank deposit slip because I'd left my bag in the truck (first time, probably won't be the last), and the pin more times than I can count. My only whine with the plus scales is there is room for another pin in there, becuase sooner or later you will lose one, and room for another pen-sized tool, say a glasses screwdriver
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
I'd add my vote for an Explorer too.  Don't have one personally, but it's next on my list of SAK's to get.  The inline philips driver is so much better than the back mounted one.

I'd say look at an Outrider too.  It's a 111mm model with a locking blade, and is a 4 layer tool as well, but it's a slim one for 4 layers.  I've had mine longer than any other SAK I have right now, except for my Swiss Champ, and it's a great tool.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

nl Offline SteelWing

Thanks for the replies. About the Outrider, I find the 111mm handle shape to be very strange when using one of the screwdriver tips. I will seriously consider the Explorer Plus, but I would still like to hear some more ideas.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%