Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A small journey into collection picture taking.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A small journey into collection picture taking.
on: January 15, 2012, 02:07:47 AM
A while back, I decided to put my much beloved Canon S5 IS to pasture and jump on board with one of these new EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras. I did a little research and a visit to the local camera stores. i quickly honed onto the Samsung NX 10. It rocked a DSLR sizes image sensor and appeared to be getting rave reviews. A key selling point was the inclusion of a 60mm Macro lens at a later date. What I didn't know at the time, was how much I was going to miss my old Canon S5 IS. I had one of those oh oh moments when you realize that a few features you didn't think much about, but took for granted turned out to be far more important once missed.

I am talking about that wonderful tilting LCD that makes macro work a pleasure to use. It didn't help that the S5 IS had a cracking macro mode with a not that bad lens that got it right most of the times. In other word, I missed that articulating LCD and Macro/Super Macro mode of the older camera.

Now, the Samsung NX 10 features a fantastic LCD, but it isn't articulating. I have found that quite often, I can't see the viewfinder when I am trying to get angled collection shots. Furthermore, the top end flash for the NX series is non rotating. Yes, it flips up but the head doesn't rotate. Meaning no more bouncing off of near walls for that perfect lighting.  This flash is a big letdown simply because it doesn't rotate.  To add insult to injury, I have read online from reviews that the Samsung 60mm macro is not all that great. It suffers from soft edges...which is unusual seeing that most Macros as a general rule are tack sharp across the board. After reading a few reviews that pretty much support the notion that this Macro isn't all that sharp, I figured I shouldn't spend $599 dollars on a so so Macro. I wasn't a happy camper.

I got to thinking that for my needs, maybe a new rethink is in order.  If I was prepared to spend that kind of money on a lens, why not spend that on a new camera. I re-examined my requirements and came to the realization that I needed to get back to the Canon fold once more. I already have the flash gear, so this was a no brainer. I will keep the Samsung NX 10. it is a fantastic piece of kit. I have a few lenses for it, along with a great flash. Just that it isn't meeting my  specific needs. There are pros and cons to every piece of kit. I just found out that I couldn't live without a few features I had grown accustom to.

After narrowing it down, that leaves me with only two Canon models, the Canon  Powershot SX40 HS, and the Powershot G12. I bought the G12 because it is a different camera from my previous super zoom S5 IS. The SX40 was very much like the older camera. Time for a change.

So now I have a Canon G12. Re-charging the battery as I type this. I can't wait to put it through its paces. Be prepared to get a few test shots from this camera tomorrow. I think it will be great to take some photos without lighting and lens limitations.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: A small journey into collection picture taking.
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:06:37 AM
Here are a few quick test photos.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:48:35 AM
More playing around.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:45 PM
ive thought about a g series canon before, these days i think ill be more likely to end up with a nikon one though :P
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:14:50 AM
That is fine by me. I am no camera snob. I have owned a camera from almost every brand out there...including Nikon.  :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:36 AM
Well those are some cracker images for sure.  I'd say it's working out quite well.

Reminds me of the Panasonic LX-3 I have around here somewhere... great camera... but never saw any real use ... just not the right tool and the right time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:50:49 AM
Thanks.

Here are a few more that I posted on the Multitasker Tool Facebook page.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69