Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CV steel care

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
CV steel care
on: January 22, 2012, 10:06:36 PM
Hey all,
 I have a Case Sodbuster Jr in CV steel on its way, supposed to arrive tomorrow. :mail: This is my first CV blade, and I was wondering what if any special procedures need to be taken to keep it in good shape. Is a light coat of mineral oil every now and then enough? Do I need to go farther? Thanks!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: CV steel care
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:09:33 PM
All I do is what you have suggested - a light coating of oil seems to keep them in good shape.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:24:32 AM
jerseydevil,

That should be about all you'd need. If it's to be a user just clean your blade after use, especially if used for food items. Any use on things such as fruit and the steel will change on you, so expect some patina to develope.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:50:15 AM
Well, that seems simple enough. I've held off on a CV knife for a while because I've heard that maintenance was so much more intensive than other steels. Keeping it clean is no problem to me, and I keep a small bottle of mineral oi in my locker at work. This is definitely going to see some pocket time at work, so I'll just be sure to keep up on it. A patina is no issue with me, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it on there. I think it gives the knife a nice, "well-used" appearance.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:45 AM
Well, if you are going to use it and actually want a patina to form then no real need to oil up the blade. Just keep it clean after use so you don't have to worry about any serious rust forming and just let the patina develope naturally.

If you live in a very humid place or near salt water then it would be best to keep the blade lightly oiled.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:09:11 AM
Ah, OK, thanks. That's good to know. I try to keep my blades as clean as possible at work, tape residue annoys me. A bit of Krud Kutter takes care of it quickly. Whichever knife is in my pocket tends to be used for food as well at the store, so I make sure not to leave blades dirty. Much easier care than I'd been led to believe, thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%