Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dissappointed

Offline TWBryan

Dissappointed
on: January 18, 2008, 09:20:20 PM
             Today I discovered something unwholesome about my Swisstool. I pulled it out to work on something and noticed there was sticker stuck to the side. The sticker read "pouch made in mexico". I really ,really do not want to spend any money in any way supporting a corrupt and unfriendly government(other than my own).  I wonder if you can order these without the pouch?

T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Dissappointed
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:24 PM
That is all down to the U.S distribution ( Swiss Army Brands I think) . You guys in the states get different pouches , sheaths and packaging to Europe .The more I look into it the more I think Victorinox targets the US differently to the rest of the world .

Dunc

Offline TWBryan

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:47:32 PM
              You may be right. I feel like stuffing the pouch with fecal matter and sending it to whoever's running the American branch.
T

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:24:35 PM
As an American I have a bigger problem with the US gov't than the Mexican gov't. The Mexican gov't isn't taking over 50% of my income in taxes while at the same time doing their best to strip what few rights I have left away.  >:( >:( >:(
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:36 PM
         Maybe you're right,the mexicans are just invading us with the assistance of our gov't.
T

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:40:44 PM
LM pouches are Mexican.

Of course, if you're wearing anything other than genuine salt water croc skin, you deserve rubbish anyway.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:48:21 PM
         Maybe you're right,the mexicans are just invading us with the assistance of our gov't.
You're exactly right. That said, I can't blame the Mexicans for wanting a better life. However, I blame my gov't for GIVING it to them(with our money) instead of them working for it like we have to.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:33 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I don't have to work for my better life, my Gov't gives it to me for free, probably using the taxes of hard working immigrants.

Your government must really blow eh?

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:05:56 PM
Guys we can't control everything. Are we going to suffer by not getting something we want because some part of it is made in a country we don't like. If we knew everything about all the stuff we buy we probably wouldn't own anything. We need to admit it, the world is controlled by large corporations and there is not a lot we can do about it.

We just need to look inside ourselves and do the best we can. We can't control or even influence everything. China, Mexico, wherever, bad human rights, corruption, all not good. Look at me, I'm an American and what are the latest stats? We are, what, 10% of the worlds population but use 25% of its resources and try to control the world with our money and power. It's no wonder we are called "ugly Americans".

I just try and do some good and hope for the best.

Calvin
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 11:13:27 PM
Guys we can't control everything. Are we going to suffer by not getting something we want because some part of it is made in a country we don't like. If we knew everything about all the stuff we buy we probably wouldn't own anything. We need to admit it, the world is controlled by large corporations and there is not a lot we can do about it.

We just need to look inside ourselves and do the best we can. We can't control or even influence everything. China, Mexico, wherever, bad human rights, corruption, all not good. Look at me, I'm an American and what are the latest stats? We are, what, 10% of the worlds population but use 25% of its resources and try to control the world with our money and power. It's no wonder we are called "ugly Americans".

I just try and do some good and hope for the best.

Calvin

Good post Calvin  :D

Guys lets not turn this into a country bashing thread .

Dunc

Offline TWBryan

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:15:22 PM
             I just hate having to look all over something in the store to find the english description...
T

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:04 PM
It's no wonder we are called "ugly Americans".

and "fat americans"

and "stupid americans"

and "unhygienic americans"

and "unfashionable americans"

:D

None of the Yanks (especially none of the Canucks!) I've met were actually jerks, but Popular Media does not paint you United Statesmen in a pretty light. Which is interesting, because most PopMed is Yankee owned.

I guess they've worked out (unsurprisingly) that everyone loves to hate the guys on top, so Yankee-bashing sells tabloids.

(If it makes anyone feel better- I'm happy to be called an illiterate beer-swilling bogan)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:23:42 PM by Nomad »

Offline kreskin13

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 11:21:40 PM
It's no wonder we are called "ugly Americans".

and "fat americans"

and "stupid americans"

and "unhygienic americans"

and "unfashionable americans"

:D

None of the Yanks (especially none of the Canucks!) I've met were actually jerks, but Popular Media does not paint you United Statesmen in a pretty light. Which is interesting, because most PopMed is Yankee owned.

I guess they've worked out (unsurprisingly) that everyone loves to hate the guys on top, so Yankee-bashing sells tabloids.

(If it makes anyone feel better- I'm happy to be called an illiterate beer-swilling bogan)

Nomad, to use your own words, "kiss me, you animal"! :D

Calvin
[

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 11:28:54 PM
             I just hate having to look all over something in the store to find the english description...

I've had the same thoughts, but have to step back and remember the world is not about just me. Like I said, the world is controlled by large corporations and whether we think them evil, greedy, whatever, one thing they are is "not stupid"! Packaging is printed that way because it is cheaper to do it that way, let's just hope some of those savings are passed down to us in the form of lower prices. :think:

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:37:17 PM by kreskin13 »
[

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 11:29:05 PM
Nomad, to use your own words, "kiss me, you animal"!  :D

That phrase occasionally works as advertised, so use wisely.

We don't (as far as I notice) get a lot of Mexican gear here.

I'm a bit disappointed really, we don't have local cheap labour (We use Backpackers for our dirty jobs.  :))

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:08 AM
...my Swisstool. ...The sticker read "pouch made in mexico". ...

NeitherExtreme wrote that Leatherman pliers jaws are now made in Mexico.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 01:45:25 AM
It certainly explains why they say "LEATHERMAN TOOL" now instead of "LEATHERMAN USA"

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 02:56:04 AM
[

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 03:00:52 AM
Assembly is in Oregon. *shrug*

I don't get why. Filipino kids have got tiny fingers that are great at fine assembly.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 04:12:05 AM
Let's just hope the Swiss Army doesn't contract out to get their knives from the Chinese.  :ahhh

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 07:10:38 AM
Mexico does make good leather, though. I don't know  :-\
[

Offline TWBryan

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 03:18:54 PM
Mexico does make good leather, though. I don't know  :-\

This is cordura,doesn't look bad,but that's not the point. Thinking of ordering a nite-ize xl pockit. Either that for find a maxpedition that'll work.
T

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 03:59:30 PM
Thinking of ordering a nite-ize xl pockit. Either that for find a maxpedition that'll work.

I have several Nite-Ize and Maxpedition items.   The Nite-Ize pockits used to be made in USA, but are now made in China.    I think the Maxpedition gear is made in Taiwan.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline TWBryan

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 05:35:09 PM
       Ok so no nite-ize,is there are any pouches made by anybody that doesn't hate the US?
T

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 06:24:44 PM
       Ok so no nite-ize,is there are any pouches made by anybody that doesn't hate the US?

Thats a tough one , cant think of any  ;)  Just kidding . Why not go for a custom made one ? I know a Scotsman who is rather good with Kydex .

Dunc

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 10:12:02 PM
There is an old saying "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."
Victorinox makes an awesome product and if you don't like the sheath or if the quality doesn't meet your standards then get a new one. 
I too about flipped when I got my New OHT with a "made in China" sheath, but it works out great.
So as Frankie says "RELAX".

Offline TWBryan

Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 11:25:52 PM
             Screw it,I'll just make my own.
T

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 11:53:07 PM
             Screw it,I'll just make my own.

I highly recommend Ripoffs brand sheaths with stainless belt clips.  Go here and click on Tool Holsters at the top--there are about 5 pages of them.

http://www.ripoffs.com/
- Terry

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 04:21:13 AM
Hey I just checked and my trousers are made in India, my shirt in Bangledesh, My underwear in China and my shoes in Argentina. You know what. I like them all. As much as I might like everything to be made in the USA, it ain't gonna happen so enjoy what you have.
T

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 04:28:34 AM
As much as I might like everything to be made in the USA
I agree with this for the most part but I want my knives and multi-tools made in Switzerland.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%