Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maintenance Question - Old Style Wave/PST II Scissors

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Maintenance Question - Old Style Wave/PST II Scissors
on: January 17, 2012, 03:33:03 PM
I put some scissors from a PST II in a Paladin PT-510 a while back ...

.. but it appears the scissors have been a little sprained at some point. If cutting anything heavier than copier paper the scissor arm pops over the lug on the scissors. I can try and square the lug up a bit so it's presented square rather than the current angle (if I file it back a bit after), but there is also some slack in the scissor pivot which isn't helping.

I'm pretty sure the solution is smack it with a persuader (large hammer), but the question is which side? There's the small side (LH when using scissors) which protrudes slightly, or the large side (RH when using) which on mine is slightly recessed. Do I laying the pin flat and smack the recessed side with a punch, or lay the flanged side down flat and smack the pin?

Any ideas?  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline kc8emd

Re: Maintenance Question - Old Style Wave/PST II Scissors
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:18:09 PM
Wow, I am building that same tool.  Only difference is a small slot driver instead of an awl, the 110 punch down instead of a can opener, and I chose to use the plier head from an S45 as it was better shaped than the one that came with the PT-510.   To finish my build I am waiting on finding a scrapped PST II for the rest of the parts I need as I do not want to cannibalize any of mine.

Regarding the scissors, as I have carried several PST II's for 15 years, the only correction I have made is bending the clip to more of a right angle.   The hammer, on the flat side, may also be the only option to tighten up the action.

The combination of the PT-510 and PST II makes for the perfect pocket multitool.  Now if the blades just locked.  I have some ideas on how to do that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:28:44 PM by kc8emd »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:57 PM
the scissors on my PST II are exactly the same, I've yet to actually do anything about it though. :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:41 PM
Regarding the scissors, as I have carried several PST II's for 15 years, the only correction I have made is bending the clip to more of a right angle.   The hammer, on the flat side, may also be the only option to tighten up the action.

Thanks for the reply, and welcome to the forum  :salute: I think squaring it up will need to be first step, but as it sits next to another tool I'll probably need to file it back slightly which in turn means probably doing something to take up the slack  :-\ One step at a time I reckon

The combination of the PT-510 and PST II makes for the perfect pocket multitool.  Now if the blades just locked.  I have some ideas on how to do that.

I don't mind it being non locking (I prefer blades that way anyway), but I'd certainly prefer it if it was outboard tools rather than inboard

the scissors on my PST II are exactly the same, I've yet to actually do anything about it though. :-[

I know what you mean. It was only when it popped out of joint earlier today that I remembered why I hadn't carried it more, and prompted me to post the question  :D

us Offline kc8emd

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:58 PM
I guess being in the UK locking isn’t that desirable, but it really bugs me when using a screwdriver and it closes on me when applying pressure.   Having outboard tools is nice, but then you would sacrifice ergonomics of these tools when closed and opens them up to catch a lot of pocket lint.  I however would like just the main blade to be outboard.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:20 PM
I guess being in the UK locking isn’t that desirable, but it really bugs me when using a screwdriver and it closes on me when applying pressure.   Having outboard tools is nice, but then you would sacrifice ergonomics of these tools when closed and opens them up to catch a lot of pocket lint.  I however would like just the main blade to be outboard.

It's not so much a regional issue with locking blades (though there is that too) - I'd just prefer non-locking, personal preference is all. I'd agree on the drivers though, particularly the awl  :ahhh. I think it's a light enough tool overall to not matter too much though. If I was going to be bearing down on it or fighting something really stubborn, I'd grab the Swisstool out of my bag  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:46 PM
Success!! All it took was the gentle caress of a 2.5lb ball pein, a 1/4" centre punch and a spoonfull of "what the heck", followed by 30 seconds with a Swisstool file  :D

Just for future reference if anyone's interested later:

Clamp scissors in vice, and gently bend the lug further by tapping with hammer. This squares the lug up to reduce the scissor arm trying to push outwards (reduces the angle that it contacts with), but also makes the lug protrude too far and will need filing back ior the scissors will not stow away. As regards the hinge pin, I tried a few things but the only one that worked was putting the protruding side down (small diameter) on the anvil part of the vice, and tapping the centre punch onto the larger (recessed) flange diameter.

It doesn't stow quite as freely as before (obviously really, I've taken the slack out) and there's a dimple in the flange from the centre punch, but it stows deploys and works just fine. Before any more than two layers of copier paper would cause the scissors to dislocate, but now it'll cut 8 layers comfortably

:tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:19 PM
Good to know mate.  So when I ruin mine I'll just send them to you for repair, all right? :tu:

;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
Remember, it's taken me ever since I built this mod to get off my backside and sort this pair  :D :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:56:22 PM
Is it just me, or is this entire repair explanation worthless without pictures?
 :pok: :pok: :D :D
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:01 PM
Sorry, pics are a problem for me at the minute - that's why it's so wordy  :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:03:17 PM

Desirable yes functional yes safer oh yes alowed to carry NO  :-\ sucks really as locking blades are so much better ,

Glad you sorted it Al, i had a pstII and really liked its scissors as i did my old waves  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:57 PM
Sorry, pics are a problem for me at the minute - that's why it's so wordy  :)
Understood :salute:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:32 PM
Got round to doing this as well, happily with a similar outcome. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 08:46:15 PM
Got round to doing this as well, happily with a similar outcome. :D

Nice one  :tu: I think mine might need a little more refining, they seem great until the scissors "lock" open against the back spring, then they seem a little looser  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD