Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

74mm scissors into 84mm?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
74mm scissors into 84mm?
on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:36 AM
Ok. So people here have done 91mm scissors into 84mm, and 58mm scissors into back side of 91mm, and Wenger 85mm scissors into Vic 84mm, but is it possible to put 74mm scissors into 84mm, eg, Cadet? I can see how 91mm scissors have enough meat to grind down to the right size, just wondered if 74 would even be big enough. Thoughts?  :cheers:

Offline jrp316

Re: 74mm scissors into 84mm?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:19:48 PM
Probably not long enough to fit the frame, then there's the matter of a backspring for it. Whereas the larger knives use conventional backsprings, the 58mm and 74mm lines use countered springs for their tools. You would likely end up having to make a custom backspring for it; by the time you did all that, it would've been less effort to cut down 91mm springs and scissors to fit the frame.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 02:36:24 PM
Probably not long enough to fit the frame, then there's the matter of a backspring for it. Whereas the larger knives use conventional backsprings, the 58mm and 74mm lines use countered springs for their tools. You would likely end up having to make a custom backspring for it; by the time you did all that, it would've been less effort to cut down 91mm springs and scissors to fit the frame.

Yep exactly.  Its easier to go from larger to smaller since you can grind pivots smaller but making them bigger, while not impossible, is a huge pain.   

If you had the capabilities to make a one off custom spring for sure it could be done, but other than that I cant see an easy way to do it as the pivot end would be so small you need a very thick spring pivot end to fit. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline jrp316

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:59 PM
Here's a thread about 58mm scissors as a backtool on an 84mm knife. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15424.msg292910.html#msg292910

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:03:05 AM
Cool. Thanks for the replies. I have an idea of how it may possibly work, but lack all the parts to even look at and see if it would be feasible or a waste of time.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 11:01:21 PM
Necro bump.

:zombie:

This is my attempt. Works fine and the design is reversible for either end pins.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Kale

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 12:15:14 AM
Necro bump.

:zombie:

This is my attempt. Works fine and the design is reversible for either end pins.

Thanks, I just bought a couple of Ambassadors in the hopes of making a Voyageur.  Are you using the backspring for the 84 mm main blade?  (Sorry if that's obvious, I'm totally new to modding, so just want to make sure I understand.)  Would this work with the pivot sleeves for sale on Ebay?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 07:03:34 AM
Thanks, I just bought a couple of Ambassadors in the hopes of making a Voyageur.  Are you using the backspring for the 84 mm main blade?  (Sorry if that's obvious, I'm totally new to modding, so just want to make sure I understand.)  Would this work with the pivot sleeves for sale on Ebay?

Pivot sleeves? For screw type pivots? If you mean the typical 3mm hardware, then I doubt it. I made it all work around the OEM 2.25mm rivet used in. 84mm frames. In fact, I reused one of the original rivets from the donor Cadet for the 3rd/center pin.

I didn’t use the knife backspring, but that works too. I tested the fit with several springs including 91mm. Almost anything 2.0mm+ wide can be made to work. Depends what you want to do.  :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline Kale

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 12:12:33 PM
Pivot sleeves? For screw type pivots? If you mean the typical 3mm hardware, then I doubt it. I made it all work around the OEM 2.25mm rivet used in. 84mm frames. In fact, I reused one of the original rivets from the donor Cadet for the 3rd/center pin.

I didn’t use the knife backspring, but that works too. I tested the fit with several springs including 91mm. Almost anything 2.0mm+ wide can be made to work. Depends what you want to do.  :dunno:

Yes, the aftermarket pivot sleeves that work with torx bits.  The seller recommended 2.5 mm for the Cadet, and said I'd have to widen all the holes with a drill.  I'm going to start with a Pioneer, which doesn't require that.  But thanks for the tip, this gives me options for when I tackle a Cadet mod!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 10:34:33 PM
Yes, the aftermarket pivot sleeves that work with torx bits.  The seller recommended 2.5 mm for the Cadet, and said I'd have to widen all the holes with a drill.  I'm going to start with a Pioneer, which doesn't require that.  But thanks for the tip, this gives me options for when I tackle a Cadet mod!

Yeah, 2.5mm+ is a big hole for a tang that measures only a bit over 5mm tall.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%