Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1056538

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 09:52:10 PM
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 12:06:04 AM
That looks great! I didn't used to pay any attention to Alox stuff. I just liked the red 91mm SAKs and that was it. Now I'm really into the Alox mods and those dang backtool pins have me wanting to do 91 mods by request only. Once I put a Phillips driver in a 93 that was the end of any reason to carry a 91. 93s have a better awl, stronger blade and the ability to easily adapt the only other 91 tools I wanted which is the scissors and pliers. Not to mention that enlarging the holes is a matter of shaving a minuscule .007"!

One more tip to speed up your disassembly,
http://www.progresstool.com/prod_images_blowup/ba-1446-010-b.jpg
Meisinger 2mm bur. Works like an internal pipe cutter,
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/017197/017197375163lg.jpg

I drill only down past the head portion of the rivet, about 2mm deep. Then the bur gets run around the inside bottom of the hole about 3 times on full Dremel speed with a very light touch and the head pops loose. I broke down 7 SAKs in an hour with no damage to any scale.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:49 AM
That looks great! I didn't used to pay any attention to Alox stuff. I just liked the red 91mm SAKs and that was it. Now I'm really into the Alox mods and those dang backtool pins have me wanting to do 91 mods by request only. Once I put a Phillips driver in a 93 that was the end of any reason to carry a 91. 93s have a better awl, stronger blade and the ability to easily adapt the only other 91 tools I wanted which is the scissors and pliers. Not to mention that enlarging the holes is a matter of shaving a minuscule .007"!

One more tip to speed up your disassembly,
http://www.progresstool.com/prod_images_blowup/ba-1446-010-b.jpg
Meisinger 2mm bur. Works like an internal pipe cutter,
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/017197/017197375163lg.jpg

I drill only down past the head portion of the rivet, about 2mm deep. Then the bur gets run around the inside bottom of the hole about 3 times on full Dremel speed with a very light touch and the head pops loose. I broke down 7 SAKs in an hour with no damage to any scale.

I think I even have that first bit you link, I will have to try it.

This site got me hooked on 93 mm... its  so much beefier than 91. Every tool is thicker and stronger... combine that with strong 1/8 inch pivots and extra tools and its a clear winner to me.

I dont even own any 91 mm red knives, the only 91 mm i own is a silvertech huntsman.  Alox all the way for me.

Oh ya and enlarging 3mm to 1/8 is very easy, barely feels like even drilling.  I'm still on my first carbide bit, so I don't know how long it will go for, but so far so good.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:33:27 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 11:59:50 PM
Sorry, I have to side with Ashley on this one.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Can I be 2nd in line after Ash? :pok:
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:24 AM
Wow, you are really getting some good results on this alox MOD.  :salute: Great work!  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 01:15:15 AM
Wow, you are really getting some good results on this alox MOD.  :salute: Great work!  :tu:

Thanks!  I've been really happy with this as my EDC, and Ive been showing it off at work.  I'm still waiting on my next parts order so I can make more.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 06:40:13 PM
Oh man.. here's another great reason for the torx and pivot method... when you put parts on wrong! LOL  Anyone spot a problem here?

This one has the smaller torx button heads and I think I like these the best now, closest look to rivets I think.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 06:46:24 PM
Oh man.. here's another great reason for the torx and pivot method... when you put parts on wrong! LOL  Anyone spot a problem here?

(Image removed from quote.)

This one has the smaller torx button heads and I think I like these the best now, closest look to rivets I think.

lol i did that on my PT last week , tin opener the wrong way round  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 09:27:15 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

sorry to laugh, but..
.. :rofl:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:53 PM
I see the problem: you forgot the saw :ahhh
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:17 AM
I see the problem: you forgot the saw :ahhh

Dang, he's right. There it is in the background.  :D And I see another problem. Your liners aren't titanium.  :pok:

Using Solo springs for scissors will give you plenty of spare blades so you can do all the naughty pry work that we're all afraid to subject a SAK to for fear of snapping the tip. 2 saw springs is perfect for the 91mm pliers if you take a bit off the handle and leaves you with spare saw blades so you can play rough with those as well. Scissors are $15 in a Super Tinker (and you're left with a Tinker in parts)so feel free to cut that sandpaper and trim those wires.

Being a barrel pin modder is quite liberating.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:19:11 AM by bushidomosquito »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:04 PM
I wasn't completely happy with how I was originally disassembling the alox saks as sometimes I'd eat into the scale with the drill bit, and when you do that to colored alox it's a real heart breaker.   I've got a red scaled one with a minor imperfection that I may list for a reduced price.. my error someone else's gain. :D

Thanks to Bushido for the tip about using a jewelers burr, now THAT is the way to go.  My procedure was to use a center drill to go down into the rivet a few mm, then dremel with the jewelers burr from inside the hole, cutting the rivet cleanly from the inside.

I practiced on 2 silver alox solos first, then I worked up the nerve to start breaking down my black pioneers.   I'm pleased to say that I got this apart with no problems or marks at all.  Its as if the rivets were magically removed and the pieces just fell apart!  :D

I took apart my first 84 mm this way as well and it was quite satisfying.  I'm doing boring work of part cleaning and buffing now, then I can assemble some more.  I've also got to do some washer making as I need 0.005 washers to add to the scissor layer so it matches the spring I use.

Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 01:32:11 AM
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/washer-bronze-18-005-p-172.html
.005" thick washers with 1/8" pivot hole. The more I make by hand the more I'm thinking about ordering 500 of them. I use 2 on every tool to keep them off the liners and they really do smooth things up.

ca Offline armèe-suisse

Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 02:22:35 AM
Great work, you're doing some nice alox MOD so far. :salute:

:cheers:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 02:34:58 AM
Great work, you're doing some nice alox MOD so far. :salute:

:cheers:

Thanks!  I'm enjoying learning and making what I want to.  I've got some big plans so hopefully I can figure everything out!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 06:51:53 PM
I dont have the capability quite yet, but Ive been dreaming of a mini CNC mill to be able to make my own alox scales from aluminum, and then anodize on my own to get styles and colors correct.

I was fiddling in the cnc app and was looking at an etch for the sak logo.  Do you think making my own scales but putting the logo on it, is ok, or is that the kind of thing that would tick off victorinox?  Its not like Id say it was a vic, it would be clearly a mod. 

Hmm what do you think, have other modders put the logo on their customs?

Heres an example done with 2 bits in simulation mode.
Image.jpg
* Image.jpg (Filesize: 36.69 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15:55 PM
Humm.  My guess would be that, like most other companies, Victorinox would have issues with anyone else using their logo, especially if there was any chance that it might be on an item for sale. :-\

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 07:11:08 AM
People customize a lot of things and I've never heard of a company making a stink over it. I'd say it's no different than making your own Ford logo for a Ford that you customized with aftermarket parts. Vic sells a knife every time you sell a knife and sometimes they sell you 2 or 3 just to get parts for 1 mod.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 03:27:15 AM
Well I wanted to update this thread with my latest.  Another urban pioneer is born!  This one is hot off the modding table, destined for a fellow MTO member.  It's my best work to date and I'm very pleased with it.

I've gone through more screw variations than I want to admit, but I am 100% happy with these flathead variety.  They fit like a glove in the end holes so I only need to kiss the center hole with a drill bit to get the screw to fit there.  Since hardly any drilling needed to be done, the scales have the maximum amount of pivot extending into them, for maximum strength.  They are also nicely flush with the surface.

I'm very pleased with this one, and I hope it's new owner will be too.  :D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:35:12 AM by Syph007 »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:53 AM

Those screws look really good!  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 03:18:24 PM

OMG yes!  I didn't have any problems drilling out the springs or parts to 1/8 inch. The tool components for alox SAKS start at 3mm anyhow, so not much material to remove.  Small price to pay for easy assembly and servicing! 

The only thing I'm wishing is for some screws that looked more like rivets.  Maybe the button heads would look better.  I could hit the alox scales with a milling bit to square the hole bottoms... hmmm

Mate I just saw this  :o :drool: :drool: :drool:.

I am interested to hear how you did drill out the holes on the smaller components  :think: :think: , I would of thought getting the smaller parts secured & drilled out would of been a bit of a head ache  :think: :think:.

Urban Pioneer  :drool: :drool: , If you could sneak a nail file in there some how  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Great work mate  :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:47 PM

I am interested to hear how you did drill out the holes on the smaller components  :think: :think: , I would of thought getting the smaller parts secured & drilled out would of been a bit of a head ache  :think: :think:.

Its actually one of the easier steps.  The hardest is deburring and polishing the inside of the holes after drilling. 

I wear kevlar shop gloves since I cut myself too much, so for drilling all I do is dip the part in cutting oil, put a little oil on the carbide drill bit, then hold the part with my gloved hand and use a drill press to punch through the hole.  Not having it clamped down works better for me since it kind of auto centers that way and you can 'feel' if its cutting right.   It takes maybe 15 seconds to drill out a part, but more like 15 minutes to polish after.

I'm working on some wackier combinations now, but over all I love the threaded pivot pin system!

:D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:12 PM
Wow holding the part just in your hand  :o :o 8) 8) 8).

No putting holes in those fancy gloves  :pok: :pok: :D :D , you do have some fancy fasteners you could use doing 'Orthopaedic' repairs if your drill misses  :P :D :D.

Great work again mate  8) 8) 8)

Keen to see the wackie SAKies you have planned  :gimme: :gimme: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:08 PM
A 2 flute carbide end mill works really good ;).
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:48 PM
A 2 flute carbide end mill works really good ;).

I tried an end mill on a spring once, but I didn't have it dead on straight and the hole was slightly off, so it's easier for me to use a regular spade bit.  I haven't had a problem at all with that style.

Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:12 PM

I've gone through more screw variations than I want to admit, but I am 100% happy with these flathead variety.  They fit like a glove in the end holes so I only need to kiss the center hole with a drill bit to get the screw to fit there.  Since hardly any drilling needed to be done, the scales have the maximum amount of pivot extending into them, for maximum strength.  They are also nicely flush with the surface.

Those screw heads look great! Are you polishing them? I chuck a pin in a Dremel collet and screw the screws into it and spin them full speed while hitting them with 600 grit paper to take the machine marks out, then some Flitz on a rag and they look like chrome.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 07:48:31 PM

Those screw heads look great! Are you polishing them? I chuck a pin in a Dremel collet and screw the screws into it and spin them full speed while hitting them with 600 grit paper to take the machine marks out, then some Flitz on a rag and they look like chrome.

I did hit those with a buffing wheel and stainless polish, and they got pretty shiny.  Putting them in a dremel would have been easier than the way I did it.  I held each screw with my fingers and hit with polishing wheel in a dremel!  LOL I wont be showing my son my techniques.  I seem to still have freakishly strong fingers though from my years of rock climbing, so its just easier for me to hold things.  I dont have a problem bending the sak backsprings by hand when I assemble.   I just push hard and wiggle the part home.  I thought Id have to make a jig for that, but havent had to at all.

The other screws I had were the same profile, but these have larger hex bit, and they seem to be more visually appealing, at least to me.  Of course I have 200 of the other kind still... :D  Also many in black, but they dont look right.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:56:12 PM by Syph007 »

us Offline jds1

Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 10:27:37 PM
The fit & finish on that Urban Pioneer is just amazing!

Jeff

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 12:01:45 AM
The fit & finish on that Urban Pioneer is just amazing!

Jeff

Thanks! It's taken me a bit of trial and error to perfect the drilling of the outer scales so I don't mar them at all.  I'm currently rebuilding my EDC sak now out to 4 layers.

1. 91mm combo tool / blade
2. pliers
3. cybertool bit driver
4. scissors

I keep refining what I want to have as a simple daily needs type sak.  The only thing Id still like to add is a pen and tweezers, not so interested in the tootpick, but I need a pen and tweezers often.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62