Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1062831

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #4710 on: June 24, 2017, 01:58:35 PM
Why is the tweezer head not flush with the scales?  :think:

Very cool model!  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #4711 on: June 25, 2017, 09:28:23 PM
That's fantastic!  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ive FINALLY come up with a way I like to hold all the scale tools people want.  Drawing it up now in CAD then I can post what Im thinking of trying.  The pen is still too thick to fit unless I can find an option for a thinner one, but regardless if this works I can fit ...

Toothpick
Tweezers
Small firesteel
Pin
Sewing needle and thread 

That takes care of what most people would want, and there will be a small space left over to store whatever else could be jammed in there.

Ive been stuck forever trying to work out the mechanism.  I know I could machine a little drawer hollow that opened in the scale, but how would it lock into place to avoid accidentally opening, and it would also have to be simple so that machining time/cost wasnt too much more and no extra parts like more screws and tapping would be needed.

I did have to go with much thicker Ti for the backscale 0.155" instead of the 0.100" I used now, but that at least this will provide a way to offer people what they want.  It would still be slightly thinner than a stock SAK with plastic scales though (0.070" thinner) since it still wont have the outer liners.  So still an ok compromise I think for those that would want this.

My breakthrough in mentally working on this was realizing how I could machine the drawer to have a built in retension spring to snap it home and become a solid part of the scale when not needed.  A small nail nick would be exposed either on top on inside to pop it open.  It would be part of the back scale and open upwards like a normal tool, but the hinge point would be towards the inside not where the normal tools pivot.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4712 on: June 26, 2017, 02:16:15 PM
I hate cliffhangers...  :ahhh
 :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4713 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:10 PM

The problem is I cant R&D as much at I'd like to.  What Ive been doing is to take on the standard jobs to pay the bills and fit in the R&D when I can. 

This idea will work for sure, I just need to work out the best way to hold the components in the little drawer.  Rattling is unacceptable as that would drive me nuts.  :D  I even ordered some smaller pen blanks that will fit so I can put a pen in there now.  :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4715 on: June 26, 2017, 03:21:08 PM

The problem is I cant R&D as much at I'd like to.  What Ive been doing is to take on the standard jobs to pay the bills and fit in the R&D when I can. 

This idea will work for sure, I just need to work out the best way to hold the components in the little drawer.  Rattling is unacceptable as that would drive me nuts.  :D  I even ordered some smaller pen blanks that will fit so I can put a pen in there now.  :D

I know the feeling. I supposedly work in electronics R&D department, but spend most of my time doing secretary work, graphical design, translating from and to English and all sorts of unrelated jobs.  :twak:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4716 on: June 26, 2017, 04:11:17 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Whos that?  :think:
Reminds me of someone with brown hair...  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4717 on: June 27, 2017, 11:36:24 PM
Skeletonized TiSplorer lol :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4718 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:21 PM
Nice! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4719 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:36 AM
That's a great spot to use for engraving.  :hatsoff:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4720 on: July 05, 2017, 09:17:04 PM
Does anyone know if you can have a 91mm build with the inline awl opposite the bottle opener or can opener using either the main blade or opener back spring? Don't think I've ever seen it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:18:07 PM by tommywp »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4721 on: July 05, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Does anyone know if you can have a 91mm build with the inline awl opposite the bottle opener or can opener using either the main blade or opener back spring? Don't think I've ever seen it.
Inline Awl in place of small blade, can opener in place of large blade. Messy, but works. I'm sure that someone will know of a better option.  :think:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4722 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:09 PM
Inline Awl in place of small blade, can opener in place of large blade. Messy, but works. I'm sure that someone will know of a better option.  :think:

That wouldnt work without modifying the parts, and it would be clunky.  The awl is actually longer than the either opener and even though it wraps over the scale Im positive it would still hit the other tool.  I once tried on a 93mm with bottle opener and awl and it hit.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4723 on: July 05, 2017, 10:49:29 PM
Thanks. Is it the same story with the small blade and the bottle or cap opener on either the opener or blade backspring?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4724 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:48 PM
Ive FINALLY come up with a way I like to hold all the scale tools people want.  Drawing it up now in CAD then I can post what Im thinking of trying.  The pen is still too thick to fit unless I can find an option for a thinner one, but regardless if this works I can fit ...

Toothpick
Tweezers
Small firesteel
Pin
Sewing needle and thread 

That takes care of what most people would want, and there will be a small space left over to store whatever else could be jammed in there.

Ive been stuck forever trying to work out the mechanism.  I know I could machine a little drawer hollow that opened in the scale, but how would it lock into place to avoid accidentally opening, and it would also have to be simple so that machining time/cost wasnt too much more and no extra parts like more screws and tapping would be needed.

I did have to go with much thicker Ti for the backscale 0.155" instead of the 0.100" I used now, but that at least this will provide a way to offer people what they want.  It would still be slightly thinner than a stock SAK with plastic scales though (0.070" thinner) since it still wont have the outer liners.  So still an ok compromise I think for those that would want this.

My breakthrough in mentally working on this was realizing how I could machine the drawer to have a built in retension spring to snap it home and become a solid part of the scale when not needed.  A small nail nick would be exposed either on top on inside to pop it open.  It would be part of the back scale and open upwards like a normal tool, but the hinge point would be towards the inside not where the normal tools pivot.

Began prototyping today.  Very thick Ti scale pocketed out with pivot and locking bump on other end.   Now to make the piece that fits in that space and holds the parts.   :tu:

IMGA.jpg
* IMGA.jpg (Filesize: 151.03 KB)
IMGB.jpg
* IMGB.jpg (Filesize: 149.84 KB)
IMGC.jpg
* IMGC.jpg (Filesize: 101.62 KB)
IMGD.jpg
* IMGD.jpg (Filesize: 121.71 KB)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:51:49 PM by Syph007 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4725 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:24 PM
I think I just soiled myself.  Excuse me ........   

:drool:

Pardon me.   

:gimme:

I'll be back....

:salute:

Not sure what just happened.......

:dd:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4726 on: July 05, 2017, 11:28:43 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :like: :like: :like:

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #4727 on: July 06, 2017, 01:17:51 AM
Love it!  This is a great solution.  Sent you a DM via Instagram (j.mcnalley).

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4728 on: July 06, 2017, 01:56:58 AM
Great stuff Syph

Quite a few of us waiting with great antici..............pation on this one  :tu:
Loving the idea of a 'secret' compartment

I guess at the pivot end the compartment/door is completely rounded so it can swing
- So a small indentation on the top of the knife/compartment when all closed up.

Very intrigued to see how the click shut mechanism works, and also how the compartment is opened from fully closed up position - Nail nick?
As I can't quite see those two things yet   ???

....... But I know for sure that you will have all that worked out!!  :tu:  :D
EDIT: Ooops - Sorry  :twak:
Just read your quoted post above and you explain this. I was wondering if there was a spring. This is going to be quite intricate.

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:06:27 AM by Huntsman »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4729 on: July 06, 2017, 02:12:08 AM
Great stuff Syph

Quite a few of us waiting with great antici..............pation on this one  :tu:

I guess at the pivot end the compartment/door is completely rounded so it can swing
- So a small indentation on the top of the knife/compartment when all closed up.

Very intrigued to see how the click shut mechanism works, and also how the compartment is opened from fully closed up position - Nail nick?

Just read your quoted post above and you explain this. I was wondering if there was a spring. This is going to be quite intricate.

The part that swings out has the spring.  A leaf spring machined of Ti that will fit into the locking bump.  That is also how the door is released.

The idea is to make use of the Ti material's natural spring force.  Keep it simple. 

When I first started thinking about this I was going to drill and tap holes and all kinds of things that would take time and make it less doable.  Simple is always better.  Keep in mind this is just a prototype.  It will likely change as I actually test and use it.  I also want to make it removable, so say you are going camping put in the one with 3 firesteels or something.  I dont know exactly yet but Id like to get beyond just housing T&T. 

Im also worried that every single person will want this on all future builds so I better make sure its 100% good to go and easy to machine before I start selling it.   :D

Offline Psych

Reply #4730 on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:59 AM
Great stuff Syph

The part that swings out has the spring.  A leaf spring machined of Ti that will fit into the locking bump.  That is also how the door is released.

The idea is to make use of the Ti material's natural spring force.  Keep it simple. 

When I first started thinking about this I was going to drill and tap holes and all kinds of things that would take time and make it less doable.  Simple is always better.  Keep in mind this is just a prototype.  It will likely change as I actually test and use it.  I also want to make it removable, so say you are going camping put in the one with 3 firesteels or something.  I dont know exactly yet but Id like to get beyond just housing T&T. 

Im also worried that every single person will want this on all future builds so I better make sure its 100% good to go and easy to machine before I start selling it.   :D
This is going to be awesome! Looks like I may have to send you the mods you've built for a retrofit once you've worked out the bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4731 on: July 06, 2017, 04:37:12 AM
Very cool idea Syph :tu:

Proud SAKMC member :)

K-Tibbs

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4732 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:32 PM
Nice!  :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4733 on: July 06, 2017, 12:52:34 PM

Thinkin of updating TiRouge again? :lol:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4734 on: July 06, 2017, 03:24:20 PM

Thinkin of updating TiRouge again?

I know right?  I just missed this new option, but that's ok.  Who knows, in another year I may go for it :whistle:

K-Tibbs

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4735 on: July 06, 2017, 03:49:13 PM
It's almost like it was with computers a few years ago. You buy one, you get home, take it out of the box and the damn thing is already of historical value...  :o

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4736 on: July 06, 2017, 06:00:59 PM
:rofl:

K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4737 on: July 08, 2017, 03:18:47 AM
Tried the same copper inlay I do for the cross, but for initials.  It was not easy and I dont know if Id want to try again.  But I got er done.

IMG_2424.JPG
* IMG_2424.JPG (Filesize: 162.16 KB)
IMG_2453.JPG
* IMG_2453.JPG (Filesize: 242.5 KB)
IMG_2460.JPG
* IMG_2460.JPG (Filesize: 192.69 KB)
IMG_2470.JPG
* IMG_2470.JPG (Filesize: 199.37 KB)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:20:25 AM by Syph007 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4738 on: July 08, 2017, 03:45:42 AM
Nice job :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4739 on: July 08, 2017, 04:08:42 AM
That's nice, the initial pop at the right angle/lighting :tu:

K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85