Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Good accompaniment SAK to a Spirit?

us Offline Micro55

on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:11 AM
Hey guys! Just Bought my first swisstool, the standard spirit. My old EDC was a Swiss Champion Plus and a Leatherman Skeletool. But now I want to start edc'ing my new Spirit :)  Im looking for a sak to accomany it. The best thing would be under 40usd and have minimal overlap of tools with the Spirit, and also rather sleek and pocketable.

Do any of ya'll edc another SAK with any of your swiss multitools? Or have any good ideas?

Thanks MT freinds  :salute:

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Re: Good accompaniment SAK to a Spirit?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:14 AM
Hmmm....
Here's A Few Ideas:
Tinker
Super Tinker
Huntsman
Fieldmaster
Explorer **
Camper
Climber
Mountaineer
~Jessie~

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:50 AM
I pair a Vic Mechanic with my multi's. It's nice to be able to use the small pliers on the mechanic to grip the opposite side of small nuts and bolts while using the bit drivers on my multi's.

Although, I also carry a Leatherman Squirt P4, 4 inch Channellock adjustable wrench and a 4 or 5 inch vise grip, and a Vic Rambler on my keychain, a Buck stockman, a Powerful Pete 4 way screwdriver to name a few other items I carry.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not the best one to ask.  :D

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:42 AM
With a multi like the Spirit that has so many tools on it, I think some overlap is unavoidable.

That said, you could try something like the Compact, so that you get the smaller odds and ends the spirit doesn't have like: tweezers, toothpick, pen, pin, fingernail file and eyeglass screwdriver.  Plus you get a normal blade (assuming you have the standard spirit with the serrated blade).

Also, the spirit's scissors aren't as good, IMO, as a normal SAK's, so the Compact will make up for that as well. And, its only two layers, so I think it fits the sleek requirement.

Another thought; you could look for a model that duplicates tools you use most often, so that you only have to grab the bigger Spirit for its extra capabilities.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:35:06 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:44:55 AM
Compact  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:03 AM
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:50:32 AM
I'd definetly consider the Compact, that little jewelers driver is pretty handy, the straight-edge blade, T&T easy access caplifter, and pulling it out won't cause people to take a step back. 

Other than that you could go for the Alox Bantum, or Cadet, super sleek, color options, and people and pocket friendly. 

Another nice partner might be a Director, or the fancy new Mammoth executive; that way you're covered for style and function.

I hope to have a new partner for my Spirit soon, it's a bit big though, currently I carry a Pioneer with scissors, it works well because I don't have to deploy the Spirit unless it something with pliers or heavy duty.  There is a quite a bit of overlap though, and I always have a minichamp on the keys.  I have to have the 91mm scissors in my EDC, but I'm missing the small jeweller's driver which I'll be rectifying I hope.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:59:31 AM
My vote is for either the Compact, or a Sportsman with pin and eyeglass screwdriver added. :tu:

ca Online Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:16:08 AM
LOL, my first thought was compact as well.  You get full size scissors that way and tweezers.  Thats the only things Id miss if I only had a spirit and no SAK at all.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:26 AM
I'm going a different route here. I say explorer cause you never know when you will need a mag glass. Or maybe a scientist. 
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:30 AM
I Agree With Steve.  :tu:
~Jessie~

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:31:29 AM
LOL, my first thought was compact as well.  You get full size scissors that way and tweezers.  Thats the only things Id miss if I only had a spirit and no SAK at all.

+1
Although the pliers may be useful as well, so maybe a Deluxe Climber or modded Compact + pliers :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:25 PM
Over than 40$ and not so sleek as that, I would choose the CT34: bits, small pliers, large scissors, big blade, short blade... In fact, overlapping tools would be mostly the can and bottle opener.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:36 PM
Another vote for the Compact.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:25:17 PM
I have a standard spirit and I see where the logic is pairing with a SAK but personally I prefer pairing with a nice OHO folder with a PE. Doing a Kershaw leek lately, I don't like to have to fiddle getting a blade out for a quick cut and there's zero redundancy. I realize this doesn't work for everybody with knife laws as they are.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:05 AM
Compact or maybe a SuperTinker or (if you can find one) Scientist. Or a small, pocketable fixed blade or locking single blade folder.

Either way, add a box cutter, for those times you have to poke/cut/scrape something you just don't want on your knife- things like plumbers putty, mineral scale, tar, blood.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:16:18 AM
I Also Agree With A Folding Knife.

But Here Are Some Nice Ideas And You'll Have Either A Nice Alox.. Or A Nice One Hander With Tools!:
Vic. Cadet
Vic. Soldier
Vic. Pioneer
Vic. Farmer
Vic. Solo
Vic. Pioneer Harvester
Vic. One Hand Sentinel
Vic. One Hand Trekker
Vic. One Hand Soldier
Vic. Hunter XT
~Jessie~

Offline maximus0723

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 05:01:00 AM
I know I am taking a slight side trek here but how about leatherman micra?

I have Spirit S and I chose to buy leatherman micra to accompany it. It has worked wonders with very little redundancy. Spirit S has the serrated blade instead of the scissors, Micra has top tier scissors better then Spirit X's scissors. Micra also provides you with mini flat head screw driver, tooth pic and a ruler. Small but important implements Spirit S lacks.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:31 PM
I know I am taking a slight side trek here but how about leatherman micra?

I have Spirit S and I chose to buy leatherman micra to accompany it. It has worked wonders with very little redundancy. Spirit S has the serrated blade instead of the scissors, Micra has top tier scissors better then Spirit X's scissors. Micra also provides you with mini flat head screw driver, tooth pic and a ruler. Small but important implements Spirit S lacks.

I would have never thought of this.  Good idea!  :tu:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%