Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New to Gerber

england Offline macabee

New to Gerber
on: September 17, 2012, 07:44:37 PM
I have just ordered myself the MP600, this will be my first full size Gerber to add to my multitool collection, I just hope it was a wise choice, not having used Gerber before.

How good are the wire cutters? and how does the MP600 compare with the competition notably Leatherman.

Cheers
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: New to Gerber
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:01 PM
I use Gerber MPs since roughly 15 years. No complaints. I like the Locking system and the one hand opening pliers with the wide jaws.
My Bluntnosed standard MP 600 cuts coathangers and thin copper wires the like.

It´s not teh most elegant (Hello Spirit) nor the most ergonomic (I guess that´d be tah wave and similar leathermans), but it´s a tough tool that won´t let you down.

england Offline macabee

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:08:35 PM
Many thanks for your reply. The Gerber 600, arrived today,amazing considering I only ordered it yesterday!

My initial thoughts, comparing it to my Leatherman Charge Ti and my swisstool, whilst not as beautifully made or silky smooth as the Swisstool, or as comfortable to hold as the Charge Ti, also I consider the blades better on the Charge Ti and Swisstool.

Now the pro's: It feels extremely robust, meant to do a hard day's work, it looks at it will do what it says on the box.

In particular I like the one hand operation of the pliers and the replaceable Remgrit saw blade and the replaceable tungsten carbide wire cutter blades

The bonus for me, was that it came with a great torch in what is called the maintenance kit.

An excellent bargain :multi:
IMG_1862.jpg
* IMG_1862.jpg (Filesize: 213.17 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:12 PM
I'm a big fan of the MP600 myself, it's a big old solid tool that will take anything I've ever thrown at it. 8)  I've see the Maintenance Kit version before and it looks like a good one to have.  There are dozens of versions of the MP600 though, with different tool configurations, plier heads etc. 

I will say that I find them a lot more comfortable to use (as pliers) than many other MTs I have, including the Wave.  Also, flicking the pliers out is totally addictive. >:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%