Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Pens

deano42 · 84 · 11559

fi Offline deano42

• Custom paracord lanyards
EDC Pens
on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:02 PM
Hi all

I do quite a bit of writting / jotting etc at work and started collecting the older Parker 25s, I had one back int he early 90s and lost it and thought I would get a few as the pens now-a-days are not like "how they used to make 'em"

Anyway here are my pens.!

First collection

Parker 25 blue caps

Pix below - left to right
Red ball point / blue roller ball / pencil / blue ball point

Second collection

Parker 25 black caps

Green ball point / black roller ball / pencil / black ball point

What pens you take around my multitool friends..??   8)

Thanks
deano

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: EDC Pens
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:23:50 PM
I had a Parker years ago but as with many things I used to own it either got lost or broken.

Nowadays I carry a Fisher Bullet with a stylus tip, although I don't use the stylus tip often as it got broken when I almost lost the pen...

:oops:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:57:02 PM
I am one pen carrying mofo. I always have a space pen of some type with me and a pencil. I also carry a Pilot G-2 because they write smooth and are cheap. I really like the G-2 mini, same pen but smaller package. I just got a Fischer 4 in 1 space pen with black and red ink, pencil and a plastic stylus point. I have ordered a blue refill and I think it will fit in the place of the stylus, which I don't need. I LOVE color!

I like pencils also and own some pretty cool ones which can be hard to find but with the internet, they can be found. I think I gave WhichDawg and Eddie some to go with the "Rite in the Rain" waterproof notebooks they got in their packages. I have done all kinds of "dunk" tests with that paper and just about every type of pen and pencil known and pencils work great.

I also own some nice pens I got from Levengers. A nice assortment of fountain pens, ballpoints and rollerballs, not cheap but real nice. 

I also am a big fan of Sharpies, I think I own over 100! :D

If it writes, I'll try it.

Calvin
[

Offline Carthas

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:59:50 PM
I hve a parker sonnet pen. I've had it for years, but now that I've said that, I will more than likely lose it tomorrow  ::)

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:42 PM
I stick with the less expensive variety that write half-way decent.  Zebra 701.  Of course, I had to stick some knot work on it.   :D

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 03:11:53 PM
I recently bought a two pack of Zebra compact pens for only $4.00! They write nice, are really small but they transform into a full size pen, and they have a lanyard attachment!
B

Offline kreskin13

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:19:06 PM
I stick with the less expensive variety that write half-way decent.  Zebra 701.  Of course, I had to stick some knot work on it.   :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Stormdrane, that's just beautiful. 8)

Calvin
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:24:05 PM
I carry a flat black Fisher Bullet clipped to my wallet.
- Terry

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:26:07 PM
I recently bought a two pack of Zebra compact pens for only $4.00! They write nice, are really small but they transform into a full size pen, and they have a lanyard attachment!

I prefer to carry small pens which fit completely inside a pocket. 

Those Zebra compacts are great.  I also cut down full size pens after using up half the ink.
zebra-compact1.jpg
* zebra-compact1.jpg (Filesize: 16.3 KB)
zebra-compact2.jpg
* zebra-compact2.jpg (Filesize: 19.18 KB)
cut-pens.jpg
* cut-pens.jpg (Filesize: 64.79 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:17:45 PM
Yup, same ones!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 05:35:22 PM
I have a Fisher space pen as well. It has a nice leather sheath too thanks to a certain person.  ;)
I'm back!!

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 05:56:40 PM
I EDC a Space Pen and a Staedtler clutch pencil. At home I use a 10 year old Papermate, a 15 year old parker and a WWII-vintage (at least) Yard-O-Led Mechanical pencil;

I tend to hold on to ones that I like :D

C

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:45 PM
BIC Crystal, yo.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:40 PM
Those sure are some nice looking pens deano. These are the one that I carry around. Zebra pens are nice, small, and cheap. I'm carrying my Fisher now clipped in the fold of my wallet.

* Picture 2541 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 30.69 KB)
"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:12:52 PM
fisher Bullet in chrome. Carried the same pen now going on 3 years, and have had the ink cartridge changed 3 times.
S

fi Offline deano42

Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:47 PM
Hi all

There is some nice pens shown here, from the modern zebra to the vintage (yellowhammer) one.

Its surprising that something so basic, can also be collected and in some cases cherished...

...Nomad, you need to upgrade the Bic crystal.!   :D   :D   :D

Thanks for sharing
deano

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:59 PM
I'd almost forgotten I had this set in the back of the desk drawer.  It's a Cross Chrome pen & pencil set, #3501.  It was my Grandaddy's, and he'd just kept it in a drawer as well.  The copyright date on the paperwork is 1975, so I'd guess it's probably 30 years old or more.  I remember my Dad having several sets during the 70's and 80's, and I always thought they looked the coolest back then.  I was given my own set after making the Dean's List my first semester in college, but I don't know what happened to it.  If I wore a suit, these would come out of the box for EDC, but I don't even own a suit, so for now, they stay in the desk. ;)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:19 PM
Those were made in lincoln RI. I had my first job as a Machinist making the tubes for the pen. Now they outsorce everything :ahhh
S

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:04:58 AM
I carry the original fisher astronaut pen.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 12:39:45 AM
Hi all

I do quite a bit of writting / jotting etc at work and started collecting the older Parker 25s, I had one back int he early 90s and lost it and thought I would get a few as the pens now-a-days are not like "how they used to make 'em"

Anyway here are my pens.!

First collection

Parker 25 blue caps

Red ball point / blue roller ball / pencil / blue ball point

Second collection

Parker 25 black caps

Green ball point / black roller ball / pencil / black ball point

What pens you take around my multitool friends..??   8)

Thanks
deano
Where'd you get those? I like them lots!
[

fi Offline deano42

Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 09:26:18 PM
Where'd you get those? I like them lots!

Hi

The Parker 25s stopped production in the late 90s, so finding one NOS after a decade is getting real hard.  I originally wanted just a pen but after spending some time on the fountain pen network forum (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/) I realised I needed the pencil and rollerball, then I needed the different colour caps (blue & black).... you know how it goes.!  :D  :D  :D

Anyway I managed to get these from various places, the safest buying from the pen forum, second was eprey. But same old story there, some I purchased were garbage, but others a real find.

The black coated one was NOS, its truely mint.

For my money you cannot beat a pen like this, its solid and will last years if treated well.

Here is another pix of the pens:

And the shot with the boxes (which doubles there value   :D):

Hope this helps.  PM me if you want any assistance.!

Thanks
deano

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:42:58 PM
I love the satin finish on those.  The design looks simple, elegant and functional.
- Terry

Offline kreskin13

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 03:27:25 AM
Those sure are some nice looking pens deano. These are the one that I carry around. Zebra pens are nice, small, and cheap. I'm carrying my Fisher now clipped in the fold of my wallet.

The concept of a wallet sized pen had eluded me for years but has been a dream of mine every since I was a little child. I used to just sit and stare out the window and think of the day when I might find and actually own such a pen. Mankind had landed men on the moon but still no viable wallet size pen.

Then by some stroke of luck I happened upon the "walletini" pen. There is now a spring in my step, I smile all the time, my breath is sweet and the boils on my butt have all but disappeared. Food now tastes better, my dogs listen to me and I finally own a home with a garage. All due to the "walletini" pen.

They aren't cheap folks, 32 bucks a copy, but they are built like a tank and your life will never be the same. At this price I have, for the moment, limited myself to three of these beauties and coupled with one of their fine leather wallets makes me a force to be reckoned with.

These fine writing implements can be found here.

http://www.levenger.com/

Calvin

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:34:44 AM by kreskin13 »
[

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 10:16:52 AM
I don't like how they think 3" is small it...bothers me.

My biggest struggle with pens (and I struggle with pens quite frequently) is not the size, or look, it's the actual penning of things.

I like a fine, yet definite line, I like a smooth line, I don't like ink that is wet and can be smudged, or comes on too thick and blurs, or runs into lines on the paper, creating vein-like forms around each letter, I like my colours (and black) to be bold, not weak, I don't like the pen to slip on the surface of the paper, nor to be grippy.

You don't buy your shoes in bulk packs of 20, without first making sure they fit your feet, don't do it with pens either!

That said - don't pay twenty quid for a nice Parker pen, if it is just going to have cheap ink inside it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 04:51:42 PM
I like a fine, yet definite line, I like a smooth line, I don't like ink that is wet and can be smudged, or comes on too thick and blurs, or runs into lines on the paper, creating vein-like forms around each letter, I like my colours (and black) to be bold, not weak, I don't like the pen to slip on the surface of the paper, nor to be grippy.

So, have you found a pen that meets all these requirements?
- Terry

Offline kreskin13

Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:52 AM
Here is a nice Space Pen wallet and a couple of card pouches. Look under Fisher accessories. This is where I got the Bullet Pen keychain pouches Eddie and Benner won in the giveaways.

http://thewritersedge.com/fisher.cfm

Calvin
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 11:08:27 AM
Here is a nice Space Pen wallet and a couple of card pouches. Look under Fisher accessories. This is where I got the Bullet Pen keychain pouches Eddie and Benner won in the giveaways.

Calvin

I use mine every day.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 11:16:52 AM

Calvin

I use mine every day.  :)

They are nice aren't they? I like the way the pen is completely protected and secured with a snap. I wish someone would make something similar for the Vic Classic or other small pocket knife. The pouch Vic makes for the Classic leaves 1/3 of one side of the knife exposed!  :o

Calvin
[

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 11:19:15 AM
So, have you found a pen that meets all these requirements?

Oddly enough, yes. I stole it off a sales rep - One of those brandless cheap ones that they print corporate logos on.
It's utterly fantastic (unlike 90% of other Corporate Branded pens I steal, which are pretty horrid.
The worst of which is ironically from a Stationery supplier! - the ink is unreliable, and the retracting device cracks after only after a few uses)

The only downside of my Wonder-Pen is of course it looks cheap and nasty, and impresses no one, so I carry a Parker (along with my softfeel Bic clicky

I find metal pens a challenge to do much more than sign my name with though - as I type for most correspondence, my handwriting muscles are feeble and uninspiring.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 11:20:34 AM
It does feel quite snug though.  I was thinking of attaching a small, thin piece of cord to the classic and the pouches key ring just in case it ever came out.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD