Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

how can leatherman sell the idea of all inside opening tools?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
I can't help but compare the new rebar to the spirit.

There are definite advantages to the all outside opening construction of the spirit, and the tapered handle design, so it is more comfortable in your hand when using the pliers.

My question is, how could leatherman advertise, or maybe even change the rebar, so that while still keeping the all inside opening design, it can be said to have its own advantages over the all outside opening design?

Or are there reasons users prefer the all inside opening design anyway, and what are the reasons for that aesthetic or functional?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:50 AM
If you slip or drop your outside opening MT, it could virtually fly open and turn into spinning propellor of death. I like that rush ;)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: how can leatherman sell the idea of all inside opening tools?
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:51 AM
They do have a safety advantage, IMO, as shown in this thread
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:55:33 AM
jokes aside  ;) any real reasons?

I guess what I am asking is to imagine if you have to choose between an all inside opening tool like the rebar, or an all outside opening tool like the spirit (the reason for using these two is because they are similar sizes); would you go for the rebar, and if so, why?

(I realise this is a nonsense question for the most of you, since you would buy both, but let us imagine you could only get one or the other)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:15:01 AM
jokes aside  ;) any real reasons?

I guess what I am asking is to imagine if you have to choose between an all inside opening tool like the rebar, or an all outside opening tool like the spirit (the reason for using these two is because they are similar sizes); would you go for the rebar, and if so, why?

(I realise this is a nonsense question for the most of you, since you would buy both, but let us imagine you could only get one or the other)

I was actually kind of serious about the safety thing  :pok:  :D

Seriously, though, if we're comparing the Rebar to the Spirit, I wouldn't mind all inside opening tools if they opened as smoothly as the Spirit's. 

As an example, the Blast I just got is a real nail breaker, so much so that I can't get out the scissors or the mini bit driver without using some other object.

So, if the Rebar is like the Blast, I would prefer the Spirit setup, but mainly for the smoothness of the tool, not really because of the inside vs. outside opening.

Although I think the large handle cutouts on the Rebar to easily open the blades would be much more useful on an outside opening design.

I think that made sense  :think:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:16:38 AM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:52:03 AM
My brother-in-laws are both plumbers who work on large construction projects. While they are running pipe, other tradesmen are cutting and placing ceramic tile, sheet rock wall panels, pouring cement, etc. Their work environment is filthy, dusty, gritty.

Both guys carry Leathermans, one a SuperTool, the other a Core. They insist on having multitools that close up all of the blades into a metal box, to help keep the dirt out. 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:37 AM
I can't be too serious about about anything... But there is a point to the humor: some worry about safety issues on outside opening tools. Recently, however, i picked up a swisstool which is outside opening but it's virtually impossible to have it happen accidently

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:19:51 AM
Why I prefer a ST300:

1.Like J-sews said: "...having multitools that close up all of the blades into a metal box, to help keep the dirt out. "

2.And this - Safety.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:21:44 AM by Vadim »

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:24 PM
I think the safety concern is a little bit pushed. I.e. although it's true to some point, that should be no major concern on practice (note that the other thread was a lock failure), otherwise people wouldn't use any folders because they all have the "dangerous" close movement.

The "keep the dirt out" seems a plausible reason to me. I've never though on that.

Other reason might be to allow access to the tools while having the pliers open. So while we're using the pliers, we can also screw (hey this doesn't sound very good hm?), for example, and keep switching with other tools.

The leatherman site has a picture showing that feature.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:42 PM
I have been a long time advocate of all inside tools for the simple reason of safety.  The convenience offered by a OHO MT is outweighed for me by the very real possibility of accidentally opening a blade and not knowing it.  I cut my thumb on a skeletool by doing this.  I realize that it is probably more due to my form than the tool's build, but for me the inside tools are better. 

That, and I actually like the traditional style.  They are much more comfortable when using the tools(not the pliers, the actual tools) and when the tool becomes loose with age and use(as MANY pst/supertool users can attest to) there is minimal risk for the blades flopping out on accident. 

Some people get along fine with the OHO tools and that's great.  The spirit doesn't really work for me because it's too polished.  It slips around in my hand and that's dangerous.  The drivers don't grip as good as Leatherman's drivers IMHO, and the pliers aren't needlenose.  The Rebar offers a classic look with rock solid, grippy tools, and a finish that won't leave it slipping in your hand.  That and it has better pliers with replaceable wire cutters that have yet to be offered on any other Leatherman other than the ST300.  It also has both a Serrated and PE drop point blade, not just a butterknife style blade. 

Don't get me wrong, the spirit is an awesome tool, I just prefer the Closed LM design. 

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:53 PM
Tools selection and full size phillips and flat screwdrivers are more important to me than inside versus outside opening tools. I do not need outside opening, one handed blades as I always have a dedicated knife on me, sometimes more than one.  Others desire the outside opening one handed blades and/or tools because it suites them better. There is no right or wrong answer. I think it's like most things ...... personal preference. It's all about compromises and what your needs are.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:08 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if next year they come up with a OHO variation similar to the Bear Jaws or the LeatherJaws mod.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:08:22 PM
Lower cost and simpler locks are another two reasons.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:18 PM
Just for the record, the only time I ever got stitches from a multitool it was from an inside opening PST II.  The only way they could really be safer is if the handles locked together somehow and couldn't be opened, similar to the sliding head Gerbers.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:30 PM
Just for the record, the only time I ever got stitches from a multitool it was from an inside opening PST II.  The only way they could really be safer is if the handles locked together somehow and couldn't be opened, similar to the sliding head Gerbers.

Def

I learned yesterday to keep my gerber pliers locked when using the screwdrivers.  The handles flopped open and when I grabbed them and squeezed them back together the pliers bit me! 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 11:21:58 PM
I don't get along all that well with most OHO tools. The reason? I'm a lefty, and tools such as the Wave, Skeletool, etc are not set up right for me. I keep a dedicated knife on me for this reason, so any other advantages to the Wave and such are negated by that. My MT is more there as deep backup after my SAK, and pliers aren't needed all that often. So, I have no problem with inside opening tools. My favorite multi is the MP450, with the Kick second.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Online David

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 01:43:45 AM
They sell because there are a lot of people out there like me who do not care if their MT components is outside accessible or not. I`m not against outside accessible components. I just do not feel it is necessary for every MT to have outside accessible components.    :D    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:58 AM
I've been down on the ST300 for a while now but I'm realizing it's the clumping I don't get along with. Assuming the REBAR "features" clumping I will be keeping my Spirit.

... and still buying a Rebar...

Stay multi my friends

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 02:37:40 AM
They sell because there are a lot of people out there like me who do not care if their MT components is outside accessible or not. I`m not against outside accessible components. I just do not feel it is necessary for every MT to have outside accessible components.    :D    :D

:D Best answer so far  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 04:01:25 AM

There are definite advantages to the all outside opening construction of the spirit, and the tapered handle design, so it is more comfortable in your hand when using the pliers.

My question is, how could leatherman advertise, or maybe even change the rebar, so that while still keeping the all inside opening design, it can be said to have its own advantages over the all outside opening design?

Or are there reasons users prefer the all inside opening design anyway, and what are the reasons for that aesthetic or functional?

I don't mean to be thik or out of place here but when you say Spirit are you talking about a Victorinox Spirit?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 04:53:32 AM

I don't mean to be thik or out of place here but when you say Spirit are you talking about a Victorinox Spirit?

Yes, I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Vic Spirit multitool. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 02:41:25 AM
I love my ST300.... I kind of prefer my MT's to have inside tools instead of outside (I carry a pocket clipped knife, so in a pinch, I have a blade to quickly deploy if need be).

The reason I like my MTs like that has pretty much already been stated ---> You drop the tool, blades tend to open or get scuffed/chipped etc.....
I'll tell you one thing I've NEVER had to worry about with my ST300... and that's interior blades and drivers  opening on drop impact ;)

Now... if I decided not to carry a pocket knife that day, and only carried my MT.... I'd carry the Wave with the outside accessible blades.
I've found the Wave to be tough as nails all around, and very secure for an outside accessible MT.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:45:25 AM by Adam Clark »

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:37 AM
When I used to carry only a Blast I got pretty darn quick at opening the knife blade. One you get the muscle memory for it its just as quick.

As for Spirit vs. Rebar, for me its more an argument about implement design, and I personally just like the way Leatherman does their implements.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%