Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bucktool - What I should know.

tosh · 41 · 14658

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Bucktool - What I should know.
on: January 26, 2012, 08:21:33 PM
Hi.

I only recently joined this site - I can't keep off it, it's brilliant.

My original reason for joining was my quest to find out more info on the Bucktool. I'm hoping someone here may be able to bring me upto speed.

I'd like to know the following, if possible.

When did production of Bucktool start and finish?
Were all Bucktools made in the USA?
Is there a way to date each Bucktool?
How may different versions are there known?
Is there anyone (Collector/Dealer) in the UK that speSmurfpillses in Bucktool?
I only intend to buy BNIB versions - if possible, what is the price variation?
I think I've already secured a BNIB Bucktool 360  :ahhh (waiting for confirmation) - I daren't state the price, however can someone give me a guide as to what it's realistic value is.

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help.

Tosh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Bruce909

Re: Bucktool - What I should know.
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:32 AM
This is a great place for info on the Bucktool, Bucklite and Minibuck.  First learn to use the search function in the forum.  I think most of the Bucktool info is in the Collector's Forum with some scattered through out the forums.

Here's a couple of links to get you started:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25972.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34439.0.html

Longbow has a lot of Bucktools and is not shy to show pictures of his latest finds. 

Good luck on BNIB Bucktools...it has been several (10?) since they were made and all were made in El Cajon, CA before Buck fled the Golden State workers compensation fiasco. 

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
Tosh welcome to MT.O
The 360 BuckTool came out in 1996 and was made though 2002, at least that was the last year it was in the Buck Knives catalog. The other models,the 350 MiniBuck Tool and 355 BuckLite Tool, came out shortly after 1996 and had about the same life span. The BT's were discontinued due to patent problems and competition in the multitool market.
I do like, and collect BuckTools they were an innovative design of their "time". 
I will answer more of your questions as I get time.
BTW look at the links Bruce has in his post there is a lot of good info in those.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:01:15 PM

Longbow - You're a star.

I'm eagerly awaiting your follow up.

The Bucktool catalogue you mention - Is it just for the multitools or the entire Buck range?

Tosh

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:54:52 AM
 To answer your question about were all BT's  made in the USA. Yes and no all the parts and pieces were made in the USA. Buck did out source some "assembly" to Mexico. I do not know any quantities for foreign assembly at this time. I do know some of the 360's and 350's were assembled in Mexico how ever I am not sure if any of the 355 were. I have packages for a 360 and 350 that both say assembled in Mexico.

As far as "date codes" Buck did not do date codes the BT's.  I have looked in old catalogs and found some clues as to dating some of the earlier models. For example when the 360s first came out they did not have "Nail Nicks" on the large blades after the first year Buck made "hole" nail nicks in the blades. So if you find a 360 with no nail nicks you most likely have a first year production.
After that most of my dating is done by changes in blades and accessories according to catalogs. Buck even with Buck knives, date codes can run into different years as they use up old stock so date codes on their knives are not always real accurate.
 As I proceed here I will discuss some models and when they came out according to catalog dates.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:55:34 AM
Longbow

Honestly, you do realise I'm hanging onto your every word here -  :drool:

I currently own several MT's by the big 4 - but, the Bucktool just intrigues me.
The fact that it was such a relatively short production run - yet it's radical style was way ahead of it's time.

Fascinating stuff

Can't wait for the next installment

Tosh

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:21:37 PM
The previous Buck Catalogs are available to Buck Collectors Club Inc members on the BCCI website. These are how I have got some of my info on BTs.

The standard 360 BT came with a large Drop Point 1/3 serrated knife a large serrated Sheep's Foot blade as standard blades no nail nicks. It also has 3 slotted screw drivers a #4 #6 #8 these were identified by Icons on the outside of the handle. These icons were a new feature for multitools. The opposite handle has a can/bottle opener and a #1 #2 Phillips screw driver 

In the 1997 Buck catalog the Standard 360 the 360CL and the 360FL appear. The 360CL is a 360 with the addition of a external belt clip referenced by "CL".  As you can see below the icons were placed on the clip.

Noticed still no "Nail Nicks" on the large blades. No other tool changes were made for this model. It did not come with a sheath.

The 360FL was also brought into the line up in 1997. The "FL" stands for file. The file  replaces the Sheep Foot blade. The file has one notch that is used as a wire stripper. I believe the 1997 360FL did not have nail nicks the sample I have has nail nicks so it was most likely made after 1997.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:13:24 PM
The previous Buck Catalogs are available to Buck Collectors Club Inc members on the BCCI website. These are how I have got some of my info on BTs.

The standard 360 BT came with a large Drop Point 1/3 serrated knife a large serrated Sheep's Foot blade as standard blades no nail nicks. It also has 3 slotted screw drivers a #4 #6 #8 these were identified by Icons on the outside of the handle. These icons were a new feature for multitools. The opposite handle has a can/bottle opener and a #1 #2 Phillips screw driver 

In the 1997 Buck catalog the Standard 360 the 360CL and the 360FL appear. The 360CL is a 360 with the addition of a external belt clip referenced by "CL".  As you can see below the icons were placed on the clip.

(Image removed from quote.)

Noticed still no "Nail Nicks" on the large blades. No other tool changes were made for this model. It did not come with a sheath.

The 360FL was also brought into the line up in 1997. The "FL" stands for file. The file  replaces the Sheep Foot blade. The file has one notch that is used as a wire stripper. I believe the 1997 360FL did not have nail nicks the sample I have has nail nicks so it was most likely made after 1997.

Great pictures there Longbow,  :drool:

Okay, so the variations within the 360 model = scarce / collectable ?

But, which is 'the' more sought after the "basic" 360 or the 355 (Bucklite)?

Did the Bucklite appear in various guises, like it's larger sibling the 360? or was it just a standard factory production?

Do you know roughly how many were produced - both 360's and 355's?

Sorry for all the questions Longbow, but it would seem you are well versed in Bucktools chronology.

From the bits of information that I'm gathering via the web, it would seem that BNIB Bucktools are becoming somewhat desirable.
I've already checked Ebay's completed listings and the two recently sold BNIB 360's commanded $147.00 & $150.00 respectively PLUS the cost of shipping, one of them being $30.00!!

A good investment??  I'd appreciate your views.  :salute:

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:50:08 AM
Back to the story.

The 360's on Ebay sold very high I would think if you are patient you should be able to get a NIB 360 for more like $75.

I do not have numbers on quantities of 360 or 355. that being said the numbers of 360 exceeded 350,000
in some years of production. I would assume that is inclusive of all model variations of 360s.

The 355 came out in 1998, which brings to the Buck catalog for that year.
The 355 BuckLite tool only has one variation of tools as far as I know. This model has a lanyard loop and a file. It came with a black Cordura sheath. There was a Special First Run of the 355 that was serialized for the BCCI. I have never seen a different variation of the 355.

The 360BKB (Black Oxide) came out in the1998 Buck catalog. All of the tools on this are the same as the standard 360. It also came with a black Cordua (Nylon) sheath. This is one of the harder to find 360s.

In the 1998 Buck catalog Buck came out with the 360WM (WorkMan). This 360 has a file with five wire stripper notches. The can/bottle opener was replaced with an awl. It also came with a sheath

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:05 PM
In the 1999 Buck catalog is the introduction of the 350 MiniBuck Tool. The 350 MiniBuck Tool came out in 350 standard and 350BKB (Black Oxide). The tools on the 350 also remained the same through out the production  years. The 350 (both models) has a small needle nose pliers, scissors , drop point knife, Phillips screw driver(flat), tweezers, nail file, bottle opener and used as slotted screw driver), metric and fractional scales, and a lanyard ring. The 350 came with a plastic molded sheath in black or green.

Standard 350 MiniBuck Tool

350BKB MiniBuck Tool

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:49:25 PM by THE_LONGBOW »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 08:34:36 PM
An incredibly fine collection there Longbow.

I'm afraid I am insanely jealous.  :drool: :drool: :drool:

How many Bucktools do you actually own??

They all look to be brand new - are they??

Which is your favorite? - Whichever it is, I bet it's a B/O version.

Wonderful,
Many thanks for sharing Longbow.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:19 PM
Thanks tosh.
I am doing this as a "practice" run for a project I have planned for next year. So any one who can add info or has a  question about  my information please let me know.
I have most of the "Standard BuckTools" but every time I think I am close to getting a sample of all of them a new variation pops up. I have some new in the box and some that are not new but in good condition. It is hard to find all of these new in the box.
As a teaser I will post my favorite BuckTool near the conclusion of this history.
More to come so stand by!  :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:33:48 PM by THE_LONGBOW »

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:47 PM
One note I should bring up in the 1999 Buck catalog the Standard 360 had a tool change. One of the Phillips screw drivers was replaced with a lanyard loop.

In 2000 Buck only came out with one new model of 360 it had Advantage Camo coated handles, the model number for this one was 360CM. This 360CM came with a camo sheath.

In 2001 Buck did not change their BuckTool line it still featured the 360, 360CM, 355 and the 350.

Then in the 2002 catalog the BuckTools were gone.

The introduction of the 735 Navigator was in the 2002 catalog.
Buck was working on a prototype tool name the 735 Navigator it was designed  by Buck/Peter Whittaker and was going to be produced over seas how ever this tool was never produced and only a few samples were given to Buck Dealers. So these are very rare and almost impossible to find. I had the privilege of looking at one that a friend has . As for the Navigator design  I think it most likely would have been a key chain tool as opposed to a working Mutitool.
(I am still looking to buy a Buck Navigator ;) )

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:57 AM
Longbow

I wasn't expecting that,

The 735 Navigator looks to be typical of Buck's radical approach to design (bearing in mind this was a decade ago) - pity it never went into mass production - what's your own view on that ?

I note that the current multitool from Buck the '731'  is now actually manufactured in China, and from what I've read on various sites this has done the company a great deal of damage

It seems most Americans regarded " Buck " as an iconic brand from a pure wholesome american era.
And, by out-sourcing manufacture to China (of all places) has made a laughing stock of the Buck name.

To be fair - reports that I've read so far actually commend the build quality but the past reputation of poorly turned out tack from China has left a stigma that I understand is proving very hard to remove.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 02:25:51 AM
So far I have hit on some highlights of the BuckTool. There is a whole lot more as time goes by I will add to this thread.
Here is my favorite 360 BuckTool it was a gift to the 7 people who had a hand in designing the BuckTool.
It is 1of7 made, it has a Titanium Nitride gold coating and came with a custom made leather sheath. 
Mine is signed by CJ Buck CEO of Buck Knives, he was involved in the BuckTool project.

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:36 AM
Longbow,

There are a very few multitools that have a Holy Grail like aura and that particular BuckTool is that special. 

That is in fact my favorite multitool. 

Bruce

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:36:49 PM
The BuckTool sheaths.

This is some pictures of various BuckTools and their sheaths. I do not have sheaths for all my BuckTools as some are not new in the box. The 360CL (Pocket Clip did not come with a sheath)

To start off with the original BuckTool 360 (no nail nicks).

This the 2nd year (nail nicks) and the sheath changed, it may have changed part way threw the first year. As far as I can tell the standard BuckTool sheaths remained the same for the duration.

BuckTool Sheath Special Projects and Variations.

360CM  (Camo)

360BKB (Black Oxide) Standard 360 sheath

360 Harley Davidson  Note the Bit holder pouch and Harley Davidson Logo.
I am not sure if these were done by Buck or after market. I will have to find out.

355 BuckLite tool   This is the only sheath I have seen for the 355.

350 Mini BuckTool  This is a "molded plastic" sheath. It came in two colors black and green.

350BKB MiniBuck Tool (Black Oxide)

Unfortunately I do not have boxes for all my BuckTools. I tried to show a sample of some of the boxes above. Here are some other packaging types.

350MiniBuck tool

355 BuckLite Tool

360 BuckTool (sheath is in back of blister pack).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:40:16 PM by THE_LONGBOW »

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:58 PM
Info and pics like that is exactly what the Multitool Encyclopedia is made for!   :drool:

My sprunger is tingling!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:10:05 PM
Longbow
thank you for the information. Your bucklite is interesting because the sheath says bucklite.  mine does not. I cannot tell from the picture if the sheath is constructed the same as mine.
in these 2 pictures the very last sheath is a hunter branded buck tool electrician. the second to last is a bucklite 355. it is my favorite sheath because instead of being sewn on both sides it raps the fabric around 1 side and its sewn on the other side. It makes the sheath smaller.
IMG_20120212_095828.jpg
* IMG_20120212_095828.jpg (Filesize: 198.29 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 06:12:27 PM
Another pic
IMG_20120212_095803.jpg
* IMG_20120212_095803.jpg (Filesize: 299.42 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:38 PM
Man I do love these "info" threads. :multi: I'll sift through my Buck stuff and see if I have anything to add :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 10:36:26 PM
I have four BuckLite 355s all have the same sheath. They all have the BuckLite logo and the wrap around sewn on one side style. Buck also used this style of sheath for knives so it is possible that Buck could have used the knife style sheath with a BuckLite to fill an order.

As for your Hunter named sheath and BuckTool, Buck sold 3500 of the 360 BuckTools to a company called Top Brand. The Top Brand resold these tools with a customer name or logo etched on the tool. When Buck sold these 360s to Top Brand one side of the handle did not have the BuckTool logo stamped on it. It does not mention sheaths but your hunter sheath could be one that Top Brands altered.

If your Hunter tool has the name etched on it could you post a picture of it. I would like to see a 360 that was done by Top Brand.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:32 AM
Here are a couple pics.
IMG_20120212_155959.jpg
* IMG_20120212_155959.jpg (Filesize: 301.27 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 12:06:57 AM
Another
IMG_20120212_160044.jpg
* IMG_20120212_160044.jpg (Filesize: 232.15 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:26 AM
Another
IMG_20120212_160030.jpg
* IMG_20120212_160030.jpg (Filesize: 248.54 KB)

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 01:20:04 AM
Here are a couple pics.

Does the snap on the sheath have the word BUCK stamped on it?
That is the first 360 I have seen with the print in that position.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:19 AM
Yes, the snap says buck

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 06:45:33 AM
Man I do love these "info" threads.

Me too!    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 12:13:13 AM
Man I do love these "info" threads.

Me too!    :D

And me- it's nice to be reminded from time to time that this is a multitool forum!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 06:30:20 AM
Now for some interesting information on the really rare BuckTools. Now I am going to be a little tight with my information as I am still trying to find some of these models.
To start off is a 355 BuckLite factory blemish. These were stamped with a measuring scale on the handles. One side is supposed to be Metric Centimeters  the other side is  Standard Inches. One of the blemishes had Centimeters stamped on both handles. The other had Inches stamped on both handles. I do not know the quantities of each model made.
Unfortunately I can only show one side at a time so here is a picture of the scale for each model and you will have to trust me the other side is the same.  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%