Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wirecutter issue

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Wirecutter issue
on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:52 AM
So I just got a brand new SOG PPP and the wirecutters catch one eachother when I open and close the plier head.  Is there an easy fix for this? Or is this even normal? Little things like this bug me

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Wirecutter issue
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
Not normal.  Bypass cutters should come extremely close but not touch.  Sounds like the pliers head is not aligned.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:52 AM
i'm pretty sure I can see the spot causing the problems. I have a dremel. Do you think it would be safe to use? Or would that maybe mess with my warranty?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:11:59 AM
I wouldn't.  SOG would be perfectly within their rights to void your warranty.  Bypass cutters are a fiddly thing.  To me, it should go back.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:33 AM
How disappointing. I was excited to try it out  :-\  Oh well. Back to SOG then. Thank you Mr. Whippy!  :tu:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:42:37 PM
If they rub just a tiny bit, maybe you could take a file and try a few light passes?
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:37:07 PM
I sent an email out to SOG just now.  I just don't want to pay to ship and insure it and then have to wait weeks from what I've heard about their warranty, just because they shipped out a faulty tool. I asked if they would just send me a plier head and I'd do the swap myself. I'll tell you guys how it goes.

If they rub just a tiny bit, maybe you could take a file and try a few light passes?

It's more of a rub then I thought at first. I realized I shouldn't try to do anything on my own, especially since they're only one state over. Maybe I could get a faster turn around time.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:34 PM
Is there a nick or are the entire surface rub against each other? Leatherman is like latter and it's intentional.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:45:59 PM
i had the same issue with a old SOG of mine. i noticed a nick in the cutters. i just filed it down and how its smooth as butter.

if you don't want your warranty void though i wouldn't recommend it.

on the same note, ive noticed my skeletool is having the same issue. there doesn't seem to be a nick in the cutter. should i contact leatherman?
-----5hif7y-----

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:52:55 PM
Is there a nick or are the entire surface rub against each other? Leatherman is like latter and it's intentional.

Well I've got quite a few Leathermans and none of them are like this. The cutters get stuck on each other when opening or closing. So its not like a smooth rub, they pretty much grab onto one another and you force them apart.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:38 PM
UPDATE: So I emailed them yesterday, Sunday, and they sent out a new plier head today. No charge or anything. I really like that  :tu: My first time dealing with SOG warranty and it was great.

+1 to SOG  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:51:29 PM
 good to hear they sorted you out. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:48 PM
good to hear they sorted you out. :tu:

I was really glad it was so easy. I was loving it until I noticed that. At first I thought I just needed to break it in. I really like the basic style of the powerlocks.

And at 5hif7y, I would if it bothers you or makes the tool not function correctly. However, I have no idea what its like to get a Leatherman fixed where you're at.  ???

us Offline Bruce909

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:12 AM
At least now when the new plier head get there you can take and fix the one with the problem.  Then you can decide to change the plier head or not.

Bruce

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:41 AM
Good on SOG for taking such good care of you.

In my experience, Bypass cutters will work or they won't, there is no middle ground.  They can come with nicks but I always file mine down with a diamond file and you can hardly tell there was any issue.  If that is obviously not going to work they I agree with Nate, just play it safe and let SOG figure it out under warranty.

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 06:10:00 PM
I got my new plier head on Friday and swapped them out this morning, and it is so nice and smooth now  :D  I took out the old plier head while it was in the closed position and I couldn't open it with my hands. There was some serious thing holding that plier head together. I'm still clueless on what the problem was  ???

I'm happy to have it all fixed now though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%