Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shaving, whats your cut?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Shaving, whats your cut?
on: February 02, 2012, 03:50:15 PM
Ive tried just about everything out there from $120 creamy dispensing electric to $.50 disposable,  20yrs later i think i finally found what im after, i went old school, to a safety razor, Ive always wanted a barber shop straight razor shave, (still on my to do list) but this is as close to one that Ive got, and so far its the best shave that Ive had! there's many diff bands, couple diff types but basically boil to the same thing a two sided single blade razor that will except numerous brand names of blades. besides the razor, what else is there to make your shave better? pre-wash, after shave, what cream/gel to use, or go old school and use a puck  of soap with a brush? another change that Ive made. also bought whats called a scuttle, for those who don't know what it is, its a shaving mug, but looks like a teapot, because, well, there wasn't hot water in a house back in the old days to get that nice warm lather, so a scuttle has two layers two it, one for the hot water to fill and the upper that sits in the water, but wont get wet, all so you can get a nice hot lather whipped in a bowl (the top of the scuttle) heres a couple pic's of what i have and custom ordered, to go old school, JR

So Whats Your Cut On Shaving?

Oh but one new school tool is what called a Goatee Saver, and for those that keep the Goatee its pretty handy, keeps it nice and even! heres a link..

http://www.goateesaver.com/?gclid=CMz12bnC_60CFQXCKgod50sFsQ

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:56:03 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Shaving, whats your cut?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:13 PM
Although I have eight or so safety razors, all Gillette, I still use a Gillette Fusion modern razor.  When I work through my remaining four cartridges, which will take about two years, I'll finally switch to using one of the safety razors.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:45:12 PM
Just a Gilette Mach3 for me, but then I don't shave my face ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:51:14 PM
I've been using a Norelco electric shaver for several years.  I shave my head, so it has the added convenience of not having gaping bleeding wounds on the back of my head.  I admit, it's only about 80% as good as a safety razor, but for daily purposes it's fine.  For big events, I use a twin blade safety razor and shave it all in a very hot shower.  (Moustache excluded  ;))

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:22:45 PM
I've been using a Norelco electric shaver for several years.  I shave my head, so it has the added convenience of not having gaping bleeding wounds on the back of my head.  I admit, it's only about 80% as good as a safety razor, but for daily purposes it's fine.  For big events, I use a twin blade safety razor and shave it all in a very hot shower.  (Moustache excluded  ;))
I shave my head too, but in that case i use a HeadBlade,,  JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:10:14 PM

I do! and use the Mach 3 too. They last for ever.

Sidenote: I can never get the point of special lady shaving blades/systems that are supposed to be extra sensitive. Really, the face is more delicate than the legs so anything designed for the face should be good enough for the legs too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:10 PM
I use a mach 3 or fusion, depending on which house I'm in. Along with regular blue shaving goop (gel).
I would like to try a safety razor, maybe my grandpa has an old one in his basement?
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:59 PM
Gillette Fusion, cheap foam and using a Razor Pit afterwards so my blades holds way longer.. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:04 PM
Gilette Mach3 for me and any old foam gel etc, what ever is on offer  :D although i only shave when i go to work and i work split shifts so i usualy have a beard by then as grows fast, i would rather have a beard but the wife said she wont kiss me if i grow one  :think: ill think on it   :rofl:  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:13 PM
Mach 3 here also, but for some time now I've been thinking of getting another straight razor. I lost my old one in a move. :/ I loved shaving with a straight razor, very clean shave, and the ritual of it all. Something special.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:44 PM
Safety razor for me. I also whip my own later. I will post pics and go more in depth when I get home.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:05 PM

I do! and use the Mach 3 too. They last for ever.

Sidenote: I can never get the point of special lady shaving blades/systems that are supposed to be extra sensitive. Really, the face is more delicate than the legs so anything designed for the face should be good enough for the legs too.

I agree.... stupid sales nonsense! They have pointless handles which make them hard to hold with human hands - not sure what they hell they were getting at!  ::)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:32 PM
.... I also whip my own later. I will post pics and go more in depth when I get home.

Can't wait...    :tu:   

:D

But, Nuphoria, they come in pretty blue/pink colours...  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:24 PM
Ughh... pink... that just makes me want to see how quickly it would melt if you threw it in a fire :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:50 PM
Safety razor for me. I also whip my own later. I will post pics and go more in depth when I get home.
kool  :tu:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:45 AM
i use womens Gillette Venus..that's right ::)..i hear it's pink but i'm color blind
 :facepalm:

wife gets them in a bulk pack..good if not better than a mach3. I'm always sporting grizzle so i shave with my Remington electric razor on a 1 setting. Shave close only when i gotta look proper.

Using cheap razors under my chin/neck results in looking like i just survived a trip to the gallows.
:like:    :MTO:

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 10:42:03 PM
Huh, I got a bunch of Mach 3 razors when I was in the military and I never got rid of them so I gave one to my ex girlfriend when we was living together and she threw the Venus in the trash saying that the Mach was way better, seeing that I only shave my face I will take her word for it :P

I myself have been using the Mühle R106 for a almost a year now

I also use this best badger brush

Take a look at this tread also http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31735.0.html
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:50 AM
I've tried all the fancy 3, 4, 5 blade stuff from gillette and schick, but eventually went to the 2 blade gillette disposable razors. The fancy stuff didn't last any longer and toss a 50 cents razor is a lot easier than a $5 cartridge.

Want to try a safety razor but don't know where to get them, and replacement razors. The 50 pack from costco two blocks away is much easier.  :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49:33 PM
I shave both my head and face, minus my Goatee.  I typically shave every other day to avoid razor burn on my scalp as I shave by feel in the shower and use no shaving cream.  I find that even my favorite sensitive skin shaving cream doesn't do much good because I can't feel where I'm shaving on my head with it on, and no matter what razor I use I still have to go over it again against the grain in order to get a close shave.  I like a close shave because if it's not close my head tends to act like velcro and snags all my shirts and hoods. 

My razor is a standard issue Gilette Mach 3, and I love it.  I've tried the fusion but it's too expensive for a guy who goes through razor cartridges like I do.  Shaving your head takes a lot.  I have been looking at the headblade, it looks pretty cool but I can't bring myself to spend good Multitool money on it. 

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
My spouse and I both use a Mach3.

At some point though, I'd like to try a safety razor.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 07:39:27 PM
Throughout most of my life I used whatever mass market foam/gel was on sale along with some variety of 2, 3, 4, or 5 blade disposable razor. Recently though, my wife picked up a sample of Jack Black beard lube at a cosmetics counter for me to try. What an epiphany! This stuff is fantastic, a little spendy but worth it in my opinion.

http://www.getjackblack.com/Products/Beard-Lube-Conditioning-Shave-with-Jojoba-and-Eucalyptus__1006O.aspx

Interesting to read how many others have settled on 3 blade disposables, Mach3 in particular. I also have found the 3 blade choice as the sweet spot of price vs performance. Gillette or BIC seem better than others.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:38 PM
Since they seem popular, let me say that I buy my mach 3 turbo blades from China, focalprice. They are nearly half the price they sell for here.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 11:26:51 PM
I've used the same Gillette Sensor for nearly 15 years. Two blades, nothing crazy. I use a pair of scissors to trim my goatee, no fancy electric trimmer here! Personally I'd love to grow something like this, but SWMBO would kill me:

BTW, that's Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside. He's the reason they're called sideburns  :) . Can you guess why? :P

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 12:39:36 AM
I've used the same Gillette Sensor for nearly 15 years. Two blades, nothing crazy. I use a pair of scissors to trim my goatee, no fancy electric trimmer here! Personally I'd love to grow something like this, but SWMBO would kill me:

(Image removed from quote.)

BTW, that's Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside. He's the reason they're called sideburns  :) . Can you guess why? :P

Give us a hint  :think:

::)
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 07:45:34 PM
I shave both my head and face, minus my Goatee.  I typically shave every other day to avoid razor burn on my scalp as I shave by feel in the shower and use no shaving cream.  I find that even my favorite sensitive skin shaving cream doesn't do much good because I can't feel where I'm shaving on my head with it on, and no matter what razor I use I still have to go over it again against the grain in order to get a close shave.  I like a close shave because if it's not close my head tends to act like velcro and snags all my shirts and hoods. 

My razor is a standard issue Gilette Mach 3, and I love it.  I've tried the fusion but it's too expensive for a guy who goes through razor cartridges like I do.  Shaving your head takes a lot.  I have been looking at the headblade, it looks pretty cool but I can't bring myself to spend good Multitool money on it.
as far as the head shave goes i use just a bar of soap, lite coat, and a Headblade, all across the grain, both front and back, and all by feel. the headblade is nice since you wear it like a ring on your finger, cup your hand, and sweep it across the top and sides, just gotta watch when you get close to the ears! but i love it, i also think it uses the same blade your using, i just use a cheap 2 blade replacement, JR

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 07:53:19 PM
I just noticed that my mach 3 is the turbo version, so not the naturaly asperated version  :D although does suffer a bit of turbo lag  :rofl:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 08:08:45 PM
I like the turbo, but they are a good 4 bucks more expensive for 4 of them so I go with the stock asperation.   :D 

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:20 PM
I have used a Mach3 for quite a while, but I find myself going through cartridges way too fast. I just got a saftey razor on Friday and used it for the first time yesterday. I have to say I really liked it, and I might try again today just to get more practice in.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 12:54:32 AM
I have used a Mach3 for quite a while, but I find myself going through cartridges way too fast. I just got a saftey razor on Friday and used it for the first time yesterday. I have to say I really liked it, and I might try again today just to get more practice in.
I must say i like my safety razor, im still getting used to mine, ive only been at it for a month now, but i like it,, JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%