Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Importation ban on one handed opening knives in Australia

joea · 28 · 7030

au Offline joea

I was in at my local camping shop this afternoon admiring there line up of multies and knives.
They have just been told that a importation ban on all one handed opening knives (both knobs
 and holes) is about to introduced. They are allowed to sell existing stock and owning one will not
be illegal (not yet anyway) just wont be able to bring any more in.
This may mean that we will soon see the Dutch style Waves in the stores. Cheers, Joe.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Importation ban on one handed opening knives in Australia
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:23 AM
I see this happening here in the uk, this is one of the reasons im trying out non locking non OHO MT's, shame really as its the smurfs that ruin it for us guys who use these things as tools and not weapons,plus lets fave it OHO and lock blades was a way forward in knife and MT's  :-\ soon we will be carring flint knives  :D  well as long as under 3inches  ;) 

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Importation ban on one handed opening knives in Australia
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:50 AM
As far as I've seen with these new rules, MT's may be excluded, as they're not yet seen as weapons in the eyes of 'Today Tonight' which as all Australians know is the source of all reactionary media smurf that results in stupid laws.

I, for one, am buying up every flipper and OHO knife I can afford while I can.

The laws might be stupid, but until Channel 7 is off the air, we're stuck with them.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:28:34 PM
This kind of legislation sucks. I grew up knowing that Aussies knew what a knife was, and wasn't.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:34 PM
Joe at this stage OHO knives are not banned , flipper blades are definitely banned AO Assisted Open blades have pretty much always been illegal to import.

Zen Imports , the official Leatherman importer for Australia, believes the new laws will not apply to multitools.
They have said they are no longer importing OHO knives like Spyderco's. That said there are knife sellers successfully currently importing OHO knives like Spyderco's. There is a awful lot of uncertainty & confusion surrounding what is legal & what is illegal in regards to OHO knives. Aussie customs has a insane test they do on knives that involves a wrist flicking action , if they can flick a blade open the knife will not get through customs.

Privately importing a OHO knife into Oz has become a bit trickier,like buying a knife from US Ebay for example. I recently received a OHO Camillus knife since the new laws came into effect & it had been assessed/opened by Oz Customs & it got through ok , it has a thumb stud. But it sounds a bit hit & miss , apparently people have bought a number of identical knives & had some fail & others pass , I think largly due to the stupid 'flick test' Oz customs does.

I think currently they are making it up as they go  ::) ::) so this could change in the future & knives like folding Spyderco's could be deemed illegal to import , I hope not .

Have a look at this discussion at Australian Blade Forums  http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/showthread.php?2198-From-Dec-14-new-rules-apply

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:01:47 PM
I guess mat this is like here in the uk, laws state that blades over 3inches and locking are ilegal but you can still but them in the uk  :think:  but them blades on say a wave lock but you can still buy them  :think: laws are odd  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:14:15 PM
I briefly chatted with a knife dealer from Oz at the SHOT Show and he had more than a few choice words about the new ban on importation of OH knives.  I'd like to reprint them here, but I'd hate to leave one or two out since I'm certain I'd be unsure of the spelling.  The physics of some of them are also somewhat in doubt... but I digress.

By way of protesting I'd be strongly tempted to start producing OH knives in Australia so there's no problem with importing them.  Just think, you'd have a captive market!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
They could make the Svord peasant in Australia... that is one hand opening, right?

I have just noticed they have a new model out with metal handles!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:22 PM
And I thought we had some stupid laws here in the U.S.!

:facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:45 PM
Don't feel bad- the US has some stupid laws too, like making Kinder Eggs a banned substance.   ::)

Seriously, dumb laws are everywhere because laws are made by politicians, which is the only job that someone can get when they are completely devoid of any talent or skill.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:29 PM
Don't feel bad- the US has some stupid laws too, like making Kinder Eggs a banned substance.   ::)

Seriously, dumb laws are everywhere because laws are made by politicians, which is the only job that someone can get when they are completely devoid of any talent or skill.

Def

Def you missed out brain as well  ;) infact there devoid of my things in my opinion  :rant:

au Offline joea

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:52:15 PM
Thanks for the info Mat. What annoys me the most is how they slip these laws in quickly and
quietly and the next thing you know it's just there. I suppose in the next few months things will become clearer.  ???

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:19:50 PM
Look on the bright side guys, you'll have a chance getting your hands on some of these beauties..  ;)

But you'll miss out of alot of great stuff too, so hopefully your politicians comes to their senses.. :(

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:56 PM
Something else to consider is whether or not the law will actually be enforced.  In California, we have a law that came on to the books a couple years ago that when ever you have your wipers on, you also have to have your headlights on as well, or get a citation.

In reality, I've never seen, let alone heard of, even a single incident of a CHiP or even a county mountie citing someone for no lights with wipers on...
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:40:44 PM
In Canada all vehicles are required to have their lights on while moving.  It wasn't until the Maine Meetup a few years ago that I realized that wasn't the case in the US, and let me tell you, it was a bit of a surprise!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:54 PM
Something else to consider is whether or not the law will actually be enforced.  In California, we have a law that came on to the books a couple years ago that when ever you have your wipers on, you also have to have your headlights on as well, or get a citation.

In reality, I've never seen, let alone heard of, even a single incident of a CHiP or even a county mountie citing someone for no lights with wipers on...

You know, there is a backhanded reason for this, and that is to force the automakers to provide this as an automatic option on new cars. If they just passed a state law that says that all automakers must build this into new cars, they end up in court for years with the lawyers getting rich.

But doing it this way they cause the automakers to compete against each other, as in "You don't have to worry about the wiper law, our new cars take care of that for you".
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline django.cj

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 03:19:54 AM
That Australian law is bs.  Sorry mates  >:(

The lights on my truck go off when I turn it off, so my lights are always on, I never touch them.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 03:42:48 AM
As far as I've seen with these new rules, MT's may be excluded, as they're not yet seen as weapons in the eyes of 'Today Tonight' which as all Australians know is the source of all reactionary media smurf that results in stupid laws.

I, for one, am buying up every flipper and OHO knife I can afford while I can.

The laws might be stupid, but until Channel 7 is off the air, we're stuck with them.

I wonder which of us sells a kidney first to buy a locally/Aussie sourced Zero Tolerance flipper  :think: :P :D :D. Man I wish I had known about them before the news laws came into effect :( :( :(.

I am as happy as anyone that OHO knives appear to be still available too Aussies , the thing I do resent is the possibility of having to buy exclusively from Aussie knife sellers to avoid the 'Russian Rollete' that Aussie customs puts you through when you privately buy a knife from over seas. I REALLY like the prices I have been paying for knives/MTs from US based sellers. There are some good Aussie knife sellers but you do still pay at least $20-$40 more for a knife than they go for in the US  :( :(. I am a bit of a tight arse but a extra $40 can buy you a nice knife or the better part of a Leatherman  :(

95% of knives I have purchased from overseas have been inspected by customs  :o , I wish the buggers spent more time looking for illicit drugs & less time looking at my knives/MTs  >:( >:(

ca Offline sjian

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32:43 AM
In Canada all vehicles are required to have their lights on while moving.  It wasn't until the Maine Meetup a few years ago that I realized that wasn't the case in the US, and let me tell you, it was a bit of a surprise!

At least here in Ontario, all cars made in Canada automatically have "daytime running lights" on when the key is set to On or Start Ignition.  My friend from Australia didn't even notice it until I mentioned it to her.
I have a friend in the states that said recently made cars in the states have it too.  The purpose of it is to increase visibility which results in lower accidents.
"The most dangerous tool is the user"

ca Offline misscase530

• There, it's fixed!
Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:03 PM
Total stupidity!!  Hate to digress from multitools to a political rant but I can't help it. 

These types of bans are a result of populist politicians pandering to real idiots.  I live in Canada where our Liberal party brought in a rifle/shotgun gun registry for rank political purposes as the first step in making guns illegal.  After 5 years and a couple BILLION dollars in money totally wasted, the current government is shutting it down.  The kicker is the bad guys still use guns that are shipped in from the states and really don't care about registries.  Not one life was ever saved because of this registry.  As for the police, no one bothers to check it, why would you bother.  In the end foolish politicians cost the Canadian taxpayer billions in setting up a useless bureaucracy that  made absolutely no difference in the crime rate.

A one handed opening knive or multitool is no more intrinsically dangerous than a sheath knife.  When you have idiot politicians, an incompetent and over lenient judicial system and a fluffy penal system that is geared to producing hard core criminals more than actually reforming people and giving them hope, then politicians will continue to focus on objects like guns or one-hand opening knives as "evil".  If we only ban them then crime will go down or completely disappear.  Of course the bad guys will easily continue to have their switchblades, blackjacks and one handed opening knives, cause they're bad guys and they don't care.  And lets not discuss the real problem, a retarded legal/penal system that creates criminals.  No, lets punish you and me who will be shafted the next time we are on a 30 foot ladder with one hand on a chimney for balance and the other needing to pull out the "new" Charge TTi to quickly cut some insulation.  Damn, have to use two hands, gotta go down.

Best thing you can do is become politically active to fight this kind of thing.  Politicians will sometimes surprise even themselves with the jack-ass things they say.  If you can raise publicity on the issue and make it embarrassing for them, tho the point that they look foolish, they will back away faster sailors with a 4 hour pass.
Duct Tape, For Your Soul

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:03 PM

You know, there is a backhanded reason for this, and that is to force the automakers to provide this as an automatic option on new cars. If they just passed a state law that says that all automakers must build this into new cars, they end up in court for years with the lawyers getting rich.

But doing it this way they cause the automakers to compete against each other, as in "You don't have to worry about the wiper law, our new cars take care of that for you".

Good point.  I personally think it's a good idea; I mean, it just makes sense.  99% of the time, when it's raining, it's also cloudy... not to mention reduced visibility from the rain, etc.

I'd certainly consider it a nice feature to have in a vehicle, that turning on your wipers also turns on your driving lights, at least.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:59 AM
I think I remember reading that after all the gun banning legislation that the crime rate in Australia went up like 400%.  You think they would have figured it out by now this will not help crime. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 03:11:25 AM
You aren't insinuating that criminals commit crimes are you?  :pok:

While this is a pertinent discussion with regards to the topics this forum covers, let's be careful not to go too far into the political end of it, or else we may find a Mod having to step in.

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 03:34:48 AM
I think I remember reading that after all the gun banning legislation that the crime rate in Australia went up like 400%.  You think they would have figured it out by now this will not help crime.

Woo there buddy that figure is ridiculous , I feel a million times safer in most parts of Australia than I did in a lot of the US when I was there recently, I saw a awful lot of desperate people on the streets of the US.

You must remember North America's attitude to gun ownership is significantly different to the rest of the world. Me I am most comfortable knowing a mentally deranged person like Martin Bryant can not now  purchase & own a virtually military spec semi automatic rifle in Australia , just my opinion mind you.

Thread is not about guns though so back on topic.

I read on Australian Blade Forums of a chap that had the temerity to make formal complaints regarding seizure of his knives & subsequently had a visit to his personnel residence from Australian Customs officials to asses his knife collection. I find this a concern as these new laws cover importation of knives NOT knife ownership. I have asked him some questions & hope he has some luck with his fight with these heavy handed bureaucrats.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:28 AM
Again Mat, if there's anything Multitool.org can do to help, just let me know!

Def

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:54 AM
My concern is that your ability to own multitools and the sort will be impaired. 

au Offline joea

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:04 AM
My concern is that your ability to own multitools and the sort will be impaired.

Yes... that's a good point Tsquare. Politics aside, what is everyone's opinion on why they ban the
importation of an item but not the item itself? In this case multitools/knives. I can understand an
argument that you may not carry something in public but could still own it and use it on private
land as then is does not pose a threat to the public. I may not agree with this but at least I can
see what the argument is about. But if you can not import something because it is a dangerous
weapon than how can you still be allowed to own it. I can not see the logic. Maybe they hope
that over time the existing ones will break, wear out or simply fade away?
Also say they do ban the importation of one handed opening multitools and the blade breaks on
my Wave I suppose Leatherman would then give me a new two handed opening Wave?
That could be quite a cost to the company.
Does anyone know if this has happened in other country's? I know this can be an emotional
subject but I would like to know people's thoughts? Cheers, Joe.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:04 PM

Woo there buddy that figure is ridiculous , I feel a million times safer in most parts of Australia than I did in a lot of the US when I was there recently, I saw a awful lot of desperate people on the streets of the US.

You must remember North America's attitude to gun ownership is significantly different to the rest of the world. Me I am most comfortable knowing a mentally deranged person like Martin Bryant can not now  purchase & own a virtually military spec semi automatic rifle in Australia , just my opinion mind you.

Thread is not about guns though so back on topic.

now here is the RUB. Austalians have never been entitled to gun ownership in the sense of self defense or 'i own one cause i wanna' . Its always been you need to have a legitamite reason.
What gets brushed over is Martin Bryant didnt acquire his guns legally, yeah it was through a dodgy arms dealer in the state of the lax gun laws. Port Arthrur was a tradgedy but the gun laws afterwards where really a giant exercise in smoke and mirrors and all that really changed was the removal of semi-automatic and pump action shotguns. (which incedently you are still entitled to buy ONE as a primary producer) The tune was sung that now people wouldn't be able to kill so many in such a short space of time... but i am positive that in that the reality is a lever/pump action rifle will do the same sort of result.

The gun laws didn't take guns off our streets, it just made it harder for law abiding citirzens.
Many aussies don't share their pro-gun views as its a social taboo. My aussie side of the family is fairly left wing and i honestly can say i shared your sentiment when i was younger Multimat... but having travelling the world and lived through many things i can honestly i understand it when americans chant "Guns dont kill people, people kill people"
My reply use to be "yeah but if they dont have guns..."

I often speculate what port arthur would of been like if it played out in a small county town in texas... or if Ghandi would of been so sucessful if he wasn't facing the british in india but Pol Pot in cambodia or some african warlord

Back to the knife laws, it won't be that bad, its a matter of how you handle it. I daily carry a Becker Remora on my keychain and a wenger. Most people are extremly suprised (and somewhat scandelised ) when they realise its there after knowing me for months or years... they just don't think..'"I am the type"
 Keep your nose clean and no one bothers you. Do something stupid like flash it at the wrong social moment or choose it over your fist and you have a problem.

I think ultimately we need to teach people responsibility, citizneship, integrity and self worth.
Instead we slap down ineffective laws and pass the buck. 
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD