Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Finally got an old soldier ... a very old soldier :) and a book :)

jaydar · 61 · 14598

ch Offline jaydar

Spotted an 1890 soldier last week and managed to grab it :)

its a Forges L+C Vallorbe model in rather splendid nick

A few snaps

the swiss cross is faint but there

a few snaps with its brand new version

The book is a bit special it contains most every document relating to soldiers including all of the patents it was published back in 91 and is not that common.

not a bad week really :)

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Sweet !
What is the title of this book? And the author and publisher?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

ch Offline jaydar

The book is called 100 year swiss soldier knife 1891 - 1991

no publisher or even a title on the outside of the book

it was written/put together by a few major collectors/experts  including Horst Brunner who's collection I believe was bought by victorinox a while back.

now he had a hell of a collection :)

http://www.tagblatt.ch/ostschweiz/ostschweiz/sg-os/Der-Herr-der-Messer;art192,281978

ca Offline armèe-suisse

Very nice Jay, I would love to find one myself, never seen one in real.  :tu:

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Great vintage soldier.  :salute:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Here you can see a part of my collection, representing 125 years of he history of the knives of the Swiss soldiers :

- 1 : model 1890 Forges de Valorbes

- 2 : a copy of a model 1901 (1893 Wenger Heritage)... A guenine model 1901 is very hard to find and very rare...

- 3 : model 1908 Elsener Schwyz

- 4 : model 1951 Wengerinox (fiber scales)

- 5 : model 1951 Wengerinox (Grilon scales)

- 6 : Model 1961 Elsener Schwyz Victoria (Red alox scales)

- 7 : Model 1961 Victorinox Switzerland (Silver alox scales)

- 8 : Model 2008 Victorinox Swiss Made

For those who want to know more, I recommend this book witch is the 'bible' of knives of Swiss soldiers :

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:41:05 AM by jcfiguet »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
That's just awesome and a good find.  :tu:   I feel like my love for Victorinox knives and love for history makes me wan't to collect them even more.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club

Lovely knife!

This is a Swiss made Soldier correct? Do you have any info on this regarding the Association of Swiss master Cutlers, or is this a private maker?

Get more tools

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Jaydar, Great find!  :tu:

jcfiguet, Welcome aboard! That's great collection you have!  :salute:

My Wenger 1901 version (marked 1904), which I lucked into many years back.

IMG_3135.JPG
* IMG_3135.JPG (Filesize: 59.79 KB)
IMG_3136.JPG
* IMG_3136.JPG (Filesize: 78.71 KB)
IMG_3141.JPG
* IMG_3141.JPG (Filesize: 80.88 KB)

fr Offline jcfiguet

Lovely knife!

This is a Swiss made Soldier correct? Do you have any info on this regarding the Association of Swiss master Cutlers, or is this a private maker?

Yes the stamp on the blade is "Victorinox Swiss Made". for more informations please contact me in PM or visite the site indicated at the bottom of the photo of the book. I can't give you a link, it is forbidden by the forum...

fr Offline jcfiguet

Yes, you are very very lucky! This knife costs more than $1000 or $1500 !

The stamp 1904 was not added by the manufacture but probably by the soldier in the memory of his military period.

Do you know, you could repair the scales like a new ?

Example of repair of a 1908 model...

Before :

After :
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:58:52 PM by jcfiguet »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Bookmarked!  :drool:

enough said  :D
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
WOW that is a spectacular find and your collection is.... WOW!!!   thank you for sharing and now i have to get the suggested book.
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline jcfiguet

Because it seem you like that...

Another "Forges L&C Vallorbe" Model 1890 :

Another "Elsener Schwyz" Model 1908

Another "Wengerinox" Model 1951 (fiber scales)

Another "Wengerinox" Model 1951 (Grilon scales)

Another "Wenger" Model 1961 (silver scales)

Another "Elsener Schwyz Victoria" Model 1961 (red scales)

And for the end... 3 others "Victorinox Swiss Made" Models 2008

FYI : except the first (Model 1890), all other knives do not exceed $ 80...
And as the Bible said : "seek and you will find" (Mattew 7:7)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:49:22 PM by jcfiguet »

br Offline rmagralha

Interesting, I have a 1890 but mine is marked Elsener Swchiz (like the replica launched to celebrate de 125 Years jubilee), what is the history behind "Forges L+C Vallorbe model" ? I did a search in SakWiki but saw no reference to this model. Thanks guys!  :salute:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Some quick googling shows me that Vallorbe is a village in the west of Switzerland, with a large smithing-tradition...
(lookie: http://www.vallorbe-tourisme.ch/en/page.cfm/Culture_patrimoine/Activites_et_visites/musee-du-fer )

I also believe that at the start, not -all- soldier knives were made by Elsener, as he was still too small. I'm not sure how it worked, so I hope someone will shed some more light on this ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
 :drool: very nice guys  :salute:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Interesting, I have a 1890 but mine is marked Elsener Swchiz (like the replica launched to celebrate de 125 Years jubilee), what is the history behind "Forges L+C Vallorbe model" ? I did a search in SakWiki but saw no reference to this model. Thanks guys!  :salute:

Elsener Schwyz does exist, like 10 other swiss or german brands actually known for models 1890.

"Forges L+C Vallorbe" is only one of those 10 brands... L+C mean "Leresche & Co". We don't know lot of things about this brand, exept it was absorbed by Wenger like "Coutellerie Suisse". We don't know the date of the end of "Forges L+C Vallorbe".

For your information, 30 brands of official Swiss Soldier Knives were referenced between 1890 and 1950  :oops:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Some quick googling shows me that Vallorbe is a village in the west of Switzerland, with a large smithing-tradition...
(lookie: http://www.vallorbe-tourisme.ch/en/page.cfm/Culture_patrimoine/Activites_et_visites/musee-du-fer )

I also believe that at the start, not -all- soldier knives were made by Elsener, as he was still too small. I'm not sure how it worked, so I hope someone will shed some more light on this ;)

Yes I agree Elsener was too small like all other cutleries in Switzerland, so a part of the production was made in Germany (Solingen).

We suppose that 'Forges de Vallorbe' first produced iron for trains like railway rails and it was certainly organized as association or cooperative.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
@Jcfiguet thanks again for posting these beauties. i cant believe that those knives other than the one exception are under $80.  seems entirely reasonable at twice that amount.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ColoSwiss

Yes, you are very very lucky! This knife costs more than $1000 or $1500 !

The stamp 1904 was not added by the manufacture but probably by the soldier in the memory of his military period.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it might be the date it was made and an inspector's name.

fr Offline jcfiguet

@Jcfiguet thanks again for posting these beauties. i cant believe that those knives other than the one exception are under $80.  seems entirely reasonable at twice that amount.

Look at the website indicated at bottom of the the book (see the photo) and clic on "Boutique", you will find very cheaper soldier knives.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Jean-Claude, let's remain at talking about swiss army knives, not selling them. ;) We've talked about this. :salute:

fr Offline jcfiguet

Jean-Claude, let's remain at talking about swiss army knives, not selling them. ;) We've talked about this. :salute:

We've talked about link, but I didn't put any link as you can see.

I sent a mail to Grant Lamontagne and I'm still waiting for his reply !

If you want to ban me, then do it !

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

You posted the picture of the link asnt said to go there to the shop to buy your SAKs. I don't see a big difference.

Let's stick with the SAK stuff in the forum and we can discuss the business stuff over PM. :salute: You are very knowledgeable on the topic of old Soldiers and are free to post about that and share it with our members. :hatsoff:

fr Offline jcfiguet

You posted the picture of the link asnt said to go there to the shop to buy your SAKs. I don't see a big difference.

Let's stick with the SAK stuff in the forum and we can discuss the business stuff over PM. :salute: You are very knowledgeable on the topic of old Soldiers and are free to post about that and share it with our members. :hatsoff:

I'm sorry but I posted a picture of a book for information, I'm not the author of this book, I don't sell this book, I don't make money with it and I'm not responsible of what it contains.

As you can see, on other forum like "LINK REMOVED" or on Wikipedia "LINK REMOVED" I didn't have any problem with links.

I think you have realy a problem with me.

I'm still waiting a reply of Grant Lamontagne since June ! So I do not want to discuss over PM with you any more.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:38:07 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Grant has just sent you a PM to discuss this.  Until you and I reach some kind of arrangement, please refrain from posting any links in the open forum as they will be deleted.  I would also caution against continuing this portion of the discussion publicly as it is of no benefit to anyone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline jcfiguet

Grant has just sent you a PM to discuss this.  Until you and I reach some kind of arrangement, please refrain from posting any links in the open forum as they will be deleted.  I would also caution against continuing this portion of the discussion publicly as it is of no benefit to anyone.

Def

OK Grant, no problem !

fr Offline jcfiguet

(Image removed from quote.)

Hello ColoSwiss,

I see you have the book "Le couteau du soldat suisse" by Thierry Deladoey, it's a very good book, very precise and synthetic.
It is also a book that I recommend to start a collection of soldier's knives. And moreover it is bilingual French / English !

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:17:41 AM by jcfiguet »

br Offline rmagralha

Elsener Schwyz does exist, like 10 other swiss or german brands actually known for models 1890.

"Forges L+C Vallorbe" is only one of those 10 brands... L+C mean "Leresche & Co". We don't know lot of things about this brand, exept it was absorbed by Wenger like "Coutellerie Suisse". We don't know the date of the end of "Forges L+C Vallorbe".

For your information, 30 brands of official Swiss Soldier Knives were referenced between 1890 and 1950  :oops:

Thank you!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD