Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Frosts Cutlery

FredKJ · 18 · 4499

Offline FredKJ

Frosts Cutlery
on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:59 PM
I got a knife this past weekend made by Frost Cutlery.  They are a Swedish company.  The knives are no-nonsense and reasonably priced.  They make several versions.  What I got was one made of laminated steel.  It's not stainless.  The sandwiched high-carbon steel is Rc 62, very hard and holds an edge well coming honed razor sharp.  The hard steel is in a softer steel as laminateds are.  What's nice is the prices are very reasonable.  I wonder if any of you have heard about them???

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Frosts Cutlery
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:12 PM
The Frosts Mora is a well known excellent value for money knife, i've been thinking of getting one for a long time. I know quite a few members here have one and are more than happy with them.
http://www.frosts.se/index_2_uk.html
Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:28:30 PM
Yes, I got a woodcarving model of the traditional Swedish Sloyd design.  They seem to also make outdoor knives.  From what I checked on their website the blades come in three types.  There is a stainless version of their steel, a high carbon and the laminated.  They do seem to be an excellent value.  I think you can also get the blades seperately and build a handle around them.  A blade with a Rc of 61-61 is a very hard steel that can take and hold a razor edge very well.  As I think I have found from research the typical blade on a multi/SAK is around a Rc of 56-57.  That's decent but nothing like a Rc 62 and for the Frosts' prices you can't beat that for a knife steel of that quality.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:24 PM
Slap me with a stupid stick  :twak: but not all frost cutlery knives are bad? Say like the cheapie that they gave away at the last "Wild Game Supper" I went to in the next town over, a church was giving away pamplets and free knives. Small little lock backs, nice snap and even though chisel ground edge it seems pretty decent. Thought it was something I would see on the knife shopping network. What you guys think?

David

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:15:22 PM
Here's the knife I got.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1364

The steel is extremely good.  This was a top quality knife for around $12 and works better than the FlexCut knives I use.  They're just simple basic knives, no-nonsense, get the job done with top quality steel.  You just aren't paying for fancy terms like "tactical". 

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:28:58 PM
A lot of folks confuse the bad Frost Cutlery with the good Frosts.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:34:43 PM
A lot of folks confuse the bad Frost Cutlery with the good Frosts.

Astute point.  There is a difference and a lot of people don't know that.  The Frost Mora is not the cheap aseenontv junk stuff.  You wouldn't find a knife like that laminated.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:34 PM
 I'm fond of Frost's of Sweden,as well as the rest of the Scandinavian knife makers.One of those things on my"to buy" list is a SwAK.I've known of more than a couple people who are confident of being out in the woods with nothing more than a SAK,and a Mora.
I

Offline FredKJ

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 04:47:40 PM
I realized I gave the heading a misnomer calling it Frost Cutlery.  That is a knock of brand and not the Frost's Mora.  I suspect that company deliberately uses that name to confuse in marketing.  I noticed they do make at least a couple of the hunting knives in the laminated version.  From what I've been checking on the stainless and high carbon blades are pretty decent as well. 

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:22 PM
There used to be two companies that were considered the makers of the mora knives (Frost of Sweden and KJ Eriksson), but a couple of years ago they merged in a single company called "Mora of Sweden". They produce a variety of outdoor and working knives. I think their most famous products are the "clipper", "military", "craftsman" and the "MoraKniv 2000". This is their web page:

http://www.moraofsweden.se/index.php?id=11

In this site you can buy their products in USA at good prices:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

Carlos
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:28:28 PM by crls1 »
(

Offline FredKJ

Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:13 PM
I knew there were two companies that made the Mora steel knives, didn't know they had merged.  Sounds like Victorinox and Wenger. 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:31:50 PM
Yep you can't go wrong with a mora, cheap and cheerful little knives, Jocks got mine, I really should get another :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 01:24:10 AM
I know I have a couple Kellam S4's Similar to the Frost of Sweden.They are probably my sharpest knives.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline TWBryan

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 03:08:33 PM
              I've got a Mora 760,and just ordered a couple more from smkw. I've made a few handles for the laminated blades and given them as gifts. I plan to toss one in my car as part of a survival kit..
T

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
The thing that is fantastic about the Moras are the simplicity of the grind. That what makes them one of the best survival knives out there. If you ever have a dul blade just find any flat rock like slate lay the bevel down and the Lam steel sharpens in no time. I actually feel that If you are getting a Scout or other kid a fixed blade to use this is the one. Anyone can use it and anyone can sharpen one.
S

Offline FredKJ

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:31:58 PM
Yep, simple, straightforward, not paying for hype but high quality and get the job done.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 07:19:00 PM
Yep you can't go wrong with a mora, cheap and cheerful little knives, Jocks got mine, I really should get another :)
It's great and sees regular use and even a cack handed knuckle dragger like me can put the edge back on it .Can't recommend them highly enough

Offline FredKJ

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 09:39:06 PM
The carving knife I got has a long flat bevel.  Kind of hard to screw up sharpening it.  It should seldom need more than an occasional stropping anyway.  Damn good price for Rc 62 laminated steel.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%