Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My tti work in progress

gb Offline 8thsinner

My tti work in progress
on: February 09, 2012, 03:22:14 AM
Phase one, clean up and sharpen just, nothing modded yet but plans are building.

I think it's probably easier if I keep all mods and work in one place, if thats okay. If not let me know...
I started this thread just sharing the sharpness, but changed it half way. if it's more appropriate please relocate it in the mod section. Sorry for any hassle.

I have spent a few hours a day sharpening up my Leatherman tti and rediscovered how much I love this steel.
The edge is now wicked sharp, far far sharper than the factory edge, and the first time I have gotten it this sharp, I found it pretty hard to sharpen by hand beyond hair shaving sharp so I made up something of a jig for it which I now carry full time so I can use any stone for it in future. So as long as I have a flat surface to put the stone on I can get an outstanding edge in nearly no time flat.

It's hard to get a nice looking picture of this edge, and it's not polished with the 30,000k yet but here is an image to look at.

Here is one more, Hair whittling image...hehe YAY

I am going to keep my jig a secret for now but may share in the future.

I have continued to keep polishing on the 30k and it's now HHT 3
This is the standard measuring system for cut throat razors and a good way to judge ultra sharp edges.

HHT-0 - shave:The hair can be shaved immediately at the holding point. This is strictly spoken not a true HHT, but it does tell us that the edge is capable of shaving. [all other attempts must be made at least half an inch from the holding point]

HHT-1 - violin : The hair doesn't cut, but it "plays violin" with the edge. This is due to the shingles catching the edge, but it's not sharp enough to penetrate. On a full hollow razor, a faint ringing sound can be heard. On all razors it can be felt with the fingertips that hold the hair.

HHT-2 - split: When it is dragged across the edge, the edge catches the hair and splits it lengthwise.

HHT-3 - catch&pop: When it is dragged across the edge a bit, the edge catches the hair and pops it. The severed part will jump away.

HHT-4 - pop: The hair is popped immediately when it touches the edge. It still jumps away.

HHT-5 - silent slicer: The hair falls silently as soon as it touches the edge.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:24:13 AM by 8thsinner »
Doing the right thing is bleeding for the cause

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: My tti work in progress
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:37:07 AM
I think it's probably easier if I keep all mods and work in one place, if thats okay. If not let me know...

We aren't that uppity about which topics go where- post where you think it's appropriate!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline 8thsinner

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:44 AM
Awesome, I will keep most of it in here then and any significant mods I will post up a link in the mod section.

gb Offline 8thsinner

Leatherman for a leather man
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:26 AM
Here is a little trick I created to turn my leatherman into a leather working tool. A lace cutter.

In this image you can see a replaceable razor blade held in with pressure by the belt clip that comes with the leatherman, this is a TTi but I think all the charge models have this area.
You have to fiddle with the back side of it a little bit, but once it's locked in place the friction lets it go nowhere...

A slightly different view point...

You can see here what way the lace goes in, and that the lip of the clip is the edge guide for it.

Raised view point, I keep the other side up also to help in alignment.

This is how the thumb locks the leather down so it doesn't slip of the edge guide.

I haven't tried this on the round just yet. but if you have a long piece and need 5mm laces it's a pretty good version. It doesn't work as well as a the tandy lace cutter for very soft (anneline) type leathers but for kangaroo or thicker stuff it's very very good.

I also intend to get some sort of shim system worked out so that I can adjust the width of lace cut.
It cuts slightly over 5mm laces, so if your a whip maker or something like I am, this is a perfect little tool...

More to come...

gb Offline 8thsinner

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:26:00 AM
Here is where I store a 2mm rare earth magnet.

Not only good for magnetising the tip, but also turns your micro screw driver/needle into a compass. and yes it does work...

Here is a needle magnetised with it beside my main ranger compass...floating on a shaving of beech in my hat...

gb Offline 8thsinner

Edge groover
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:01 AM
Another leather work usage for the leatherman.
I find these two pieces really handy for marking leather edges for sheath making. Not that my stitching is any good. But the groover works...

Set it up like this, bit port loosened and pushed back, lanyard ring pulled out and leaning up against the other handle.

You can see where that little edge bites in. I used my strop to illustrate this which is very hard but it still shows well enough.

As you can see, works fine. If you want a deeper edge, which I might change mine too, you can round off the slight corners and smooth it a little.

Btw, the distance is 4mm, which is actually perfect for sheaths because after the edge has been burnished it turns out to be more like the standard 1/8th that people prefer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:47:06 AM by 8thsinner »

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
My tti work in progress
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:33 AM
Wow those are excellent ideas! I like the magnet one best as I'm outdoors quite a bit. Keep em coming.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:21:11 AM by tattoosteve99 »
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline 8thsinner

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:58:07 AM
Wow those are excellent ideas! I like the magnet one best as I'm outdoors quite a bit. Keep me coming.
You wanna take the opportunity to rephrase that?
lol

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
My tti work in progress
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:21:32 AM
Fixed. :rofl:
Stupid autocorrect
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline 8thsinner

Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:23 PM
I have a few to go, but won't have opportunity yet. And I will be trying to cut down a spanner before I move on...Nice simple mod to start with.

gb Offline 8thsinner

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:55:51 AM
Well, I grew four days worth of growth there to test the new edge for shaving.
Well it's no where near as clean as a cut throat shave but passable.
Though it's definitely not comfortable on the right side as it is the left because of the half inch of handle in the way. Didn't get any cuts though.

Well, there you go, just an update.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44