Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ninja Warrior?

Biru · 12 · 2069

Offline Biru

Ninja Warrior?
on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:01 AM
My niece turned me on to a weird little television show on a channel called G4. The show is called "Ninja Warrior"-"Sasuke" in Japan. It consists of a variety of obstacle courses which men and women attempt to overcome. Have any of you posters seen it, and what did you think?

I have to admit to becoming hesitantly addicted to it of late...

Regards, Bill.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Re: Ninja Warrior?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:16 AM
I have seen that a few times.It is a bit like a fishing show,you want to turn away ,but for some reason you cant.If I had that power when I was dating I would have been the "Ladies Man".
Lately my oldest son has bee sucked in by American Gladiator.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:47:48 AM
My fiance and I dig Ninja Warrior.  We watch it quite a bit.  I expecially like watching over confident people fail less than 10 seconds into the course :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:06:15 AM
Never heard of it.

Is it Pom or Yank?

I'm sure I won't offend anyone, as I'm sure they're well aware - US export TV is utterly reprehensible (what they show to the local market could very well be decent), UK (Or Canadian) on the other hand is rockin'

We commonwealthers gotta stick together!

BBC FOREVER!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:07:53 AM by Nomad »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:00:13 PM
Funny you should mention the BBC today of all days!   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:51:48 PM
It's a show which was, I believe, a filler program on Japanese television and had a somewhat limited run. It apparently has been so popular that it is being reprised (usually a television producer's term for "ripped off") for further viewing. The Japanese version is fun in a weird way-as in the way race car crashes are fun as long as no one gets hurt. Contestants from various walks of life (and sometimes nationalities) compete on an obstacle course stressing mostly upper body strength for men, agility for women. As 665ae pointed out, part of the fun is in seeing arrogant contestants quickly deflated. Contestants who have excelled come from such occupations as fishermen, firefighters, one martial arts actor, a gas station attendant and a trampoline artist (perhaps because they tend to use their physicality in extended  periods as opposed to short bursts). On the other hand, those who tend to do worst include ballet dancers, guys who wear thongs, weightlifters, wrestlers and The World's Toughest Transsexual (his/her term, not mine).

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:54 PM
US export TV is utterly reprehensible (what they show to the local market could very well be decent),
Nope, what they show us is pure crap too. The writers in American TV have been on strike for a while and quite truthfully I haven't noticed much change. Instead of new crap we get crap reruns. MORE Survivorman!!!!!
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:32:50 PM
Ah well, at least now I know I'm not missing anything.

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 12:46:50 AM
I can't think of any recent new program that's left me interested. I swear I'll go off if another "reality" or "talent" TV show makes its appearance.

If it weren't for Turner Classic Movies, I'd go bonkers (admittedly, not too far a travel!).

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:01:25 AM
I can't think of any recent new program that's left me interested. I swear I'll go off if another "reality" or "talent" TV show makes its appearance.

If it weren't for Turner Classic Movies, I'd go bonkers (admittedly, not too far a travel!).
              Another TCM fan..I was in heaven last night with a night of Cagney's military movies,especially moving ,to me anyway,was "Here Comes The Navy",because it was partly filmed on the USS Arizona.
I

Offline Biru

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:05:07 PM
I'd pay cable or satellite rates for TCM alone. I've gotten to see more fine films there than on all the other channels I have combined. And I don't necessarily mean "fine" films as in high-brow. TCM was my initiation into Ed Wood,Russ Meyer and Roger Corman years ago. While I can't say I'll ever be a Meyer or Wood fan, some of Corman's productions were actually very good despite their ultra-low budgets. And I like Cagney quite a lot and saw the film you mentioned (if you ever get to see "Blood on the Sun," he has an interesting early martial arts battle with an occidental playing a Japanese security officer). I saw "The Fighting 69th" (I hope I have the title correct)-though apparently Jimmy's ability to wise crack easygoing WWI/II-era Army officers doesn't quite square with how my grandfather and father used to describe THEIR officer's sense of humor or lack thereof. :D Speaking of the Arizona, "Gung Ho" is a film I caught a while back which features the wreckage of that ship just after Pearl.

I'm a William Holden fan myself. I fist saw him in "The Wild Bunch" and was awed. TCM has featured several of his films lately. I have most of them, but still hope to catch some oddballs. I've the day off today and am watching Ben-Hur as I type this. I know he takes a lot of hits, but in the right mood I quite enjoy Chuck Heston. Well, I must be off. I hope to catch Chuck's "You truly ARE the King of Kings..." before I go.

Regards, Bill.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:08:57 AM
I prefer to watch "CHEATERS".  And the only reason I watch it is to see if somebody pops that self righteous spoonge Joey Greco right between the eyes :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%