Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

8'' Hiking / Military Boot

Offline upnorthsurvival

8'' Hiking / Military Boot
on: February 10, 2012, 05:27:48 PM
  Hello fellas. I'm looking for your input on some good boots. I have a few qualifications, other than that I'm open for all your opinions.

8" inches high

waterproof

comfrtable for all terrain

wear a 10.5  wide

any suggestions ?

Thanks

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: 8'' Hiking / Military Boot
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:21:15 PM
I wear a pair of Danner Striker II's every day, they are primarily for security detail but they are pretty well rounded.  They are waterproof, 8 inches, and after you break them in a bit they fit like a glove.  They have brass eyelets (now, before I complained 6 million times that the plastic ones were breaking) for metal detector detail.

The one problem?  They are $170.  Available at Cabelas.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:13 PM
The shape of your foot is the biggest determinant.  Different bootmakers use different lasts.

I have a narrow foot with an exttremely narrow heel.  Heel grab is a major PITA for me.  I've found La Sportiva boots fit me best.

Offline upnorthsurvival

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:49 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas. I was thinking about those Danners and looking into Bellevilles ?

It's greatto see a moderator and a ccharter member give me help here. I lasted 1 day on that other website (edcforims) and they banned me for posting too quickly. Appearantly you can't get to 15 posts too quick or they dislike you. It was real bs. I'm a 45 year old with 22 years military and an instructor still(private) and they treated me like a troll or a punk kid.
I'm glad to have found you guys . Im really enjoying this website !!

God Bless,

John

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:56 PM
Size 9  :tu:

:P

Not much help I know, but to be honest I tyhink shoes/boots are such a personal item that you might be better off going and trying on a load, finding what you think might work best on your feet then coming back and seeing if anyone can give you some feedback on performance of that particular brand/model

Good luck

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:39 PM
If you have wide feet, (I'm a 10.5 4xE), look into Keen's offerings.  They specialize in wider lasts.  They're much more a traditional hiking boot than a military style though, so that might now work for you. 

New Balance also makes some good boots now.  I don't have a pair, but they're out there, and a place that had them last time I looked is called joesnewbalanceoutlet.com
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:23 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas. I was thinking about those Danners and looking into Bellevilles ?

It's greatto see a moderator and a ccharter member give me help here. I lasted 1 day on that other website (edcforims) and they banned me for posting too quickly. Appearantly you can't get to 15 posts too quick or they dislike you. It was real bs. I'm a 45 year old with 22 years military and an instructor still(private) and they treated me like a troll or a punk kid.
I'm glad to have found you guys . Im really enjoying this website !!

God Bless,

John

That's shocking about EDCF.  I'm a member over there and have been for over two years, and while they are a bit more rigid than here(face it, this place rocks!) I find the environment pretty friendly.  Then again I haven't posted in a while. 

I agree about checking out keens footwear, they are great.  Danners have been the most comfortable for me and I love the waterproof aspect.  You wouldn't think you'd find a use for a waterproof feature in everyday life, but the first time I had to get my feet wet at work I really appreciated it. 

Whatever you do, avoid Bates products.  They are just terribly uncomfortable for wide feet(in my experience, YMMV). 

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:25:46 AM
I have a pair of Bates Tactical Sport all leather and they are super comfy and not too expensive.
Vibram soles and really light as well
the ordinary version is only water resistant up to the ankle but there is a fully waterproof pair on their site.

Hope this helps.
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 04:11:01 AM
Vasque Sundowners!  I bought this pair back in 1994 for hiking Philmont New Mexico while in scouts. Still going today. They are Gore-tex, have a vibram sole and after you break them in a bit are the most comfortable boots you will own.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:30:49 AM
great..i was interested so i read some reviews on the Vasque Sundowners. Seems like they moved production from Italy to China and the product is now suffering. They did the same thing to Doc Martins. I was a DM wearing fool back in the early 90s. :facepalm:
:like:    :MTO:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:38:36 AM
great..i was interested so i read some reviews on the Vasque Sundowners. Seems like they moved production from Italy to China and the product is now suffering. They did the same thing to Doc Martins. I was a DM wearing fool back in the early 90s. :facepalm:

La Sportivas are still made in Italy... :pok:

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:29 PM
I don't know if this is well known, but my country is top of the line in shoe making, from luxury -- there are lots of celebrities walking on portuguese shoes -- to working stuff. A brand which is making some fuss is 2WORK4 (reads "to work for"), they make security working shoes, while keeping casual good looking design and comfort (they've won a deal with Denmark post office to equip their mailmen).

This the "BASIC", all around, model, with sizes from 37-47 (I'm not sure, but 10.5 US size should be a 44 in this scale), and costs just $40, featuring S3 standard european security level (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-toe_boot)

They've plenty more models, ranging from sportive, hiking, civil construction, mountain/snow, you name it: http://www.2work4.pt/colecao.asp (there's a UK flag at the bottom to switch language to english)

Offline upnorthsurvival

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 05:45:27 PM
Thanks Carlos, I will look into them !  I hope Portugal is staying away from this stormy weather we have here.  I would love to be there at the beach with a beautiful lady sharing a plate of grilled sardines and bread with Portuguese olive oil !   mmmm

Sincerely,

UNS

Special Ops   

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 06:34:10 PM
Thanks Carlos, I will look into them !  I hope Portugal is staying away from this stormy weather we have here.  I would love to be there at the beach with a beautiful lady sharing a plate of grilled sardines and bread with Portuguese olive oil !   mmmm

Hey, I see you know the place around  :cheers:  :D
Where I live, near the coast (and beaches) it's really fine, but folks on other places are having a rough time with the cold.

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 02:52:44 PM
I only buy shell boots. The traditional scandinavian way of sturdy leather boots, removable wool sole and no inside lining. You use layers of thick cosy merino wool socks to create comfort. This system is fast and easy to dry. When I cross rivers I take out the soles and socks and cross with boots on. (Never cross a stream barefoot!) When on the other side I pour out the water, put on socks and soles and boots are pretty much dry since there's no lining to soak up the water. I remember when I lived in Scotland (rain) and all that I could get was stupid gore tex boots, where the lamination wears out, and when they got wet (which all boots will sure as the sun) they are impossible to dry.

You can apply the same philosophy to gloves and mitts. Never buy without removable lining.

I use Lundhags Syncro boots and they are the best I ever had. I believe the SAS on the Falklands use the same. You can look at the Lundhags page in english.

Check out Hestra gloves. Especially the "Fält Guide Glove". Lars Fält is an old Swedish survival expert who designed some gloves for Hestra and they are great. He used to be advisor for the Swedish army and is the author of several books and you can see him in the Ray Mears show on his Sweden trip.

Another example of a this lining philosophy are Hilleberg tents. Which I also highly recommend. Expensive, but they are the best there is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:44 PM

Whatever you do, avoid Bates products.  They are just terribly uncomfortable for wide feet(in my experience, YMMV).

I have a pair of US Army issue Bates cold weather boots and they are just fantastic.  I've had them for about 10 years and you wouldn't know it by looking at them, they wear like iron and are extremely comfortable.  The pair I have are Gore-Tex lined and have removable liners for extra warmth.  With the liners in, the boots are rated to something like -15oF, toasty warm.  Without the liners in they are still very comfortable even in warmer weather.  I have wide feet too, but haven't had an issue at all.  Best $100 I've ever spent!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:09 AM
I have tried on every bates boot I can find and none of them fit my feet worth a darn. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%