Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mosin-Nagant One Piece Tool

WWW · 23 · 10036

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
on: February 11, 2012, 02:16:17 AM
 Not sure if this anyone has posted this before, but while doing some research on the Mosin-Nagant (Винтовка Мосина) I've found this little guy. I was wondering if there is anyone that has seen one of this before. Any additional info on the tool would be appreciated.
Mosin_Nagant_Combo_Bolt_Tool.jpg
* Mosin_Nagant_Combo_Bolt_Tool.jpg (Filesize: 17.16 KB)
Mosin_Nagant_Combo_Bolt_Tool.jpg
* Mosin_Nagant_Combo_Bolt_Tool.jpg (Filesize: 17.16 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Mosin-Nagant One Piece Tool
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:02 AM
That's a new one on me, but then I'm far from being well versed in one piece tools.  I'm certain someone will be along shortly.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline mudtoy

• nothing is impossible when you work for the circus
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:01:16 AM
I've never come across this before but I do know that Mosin Nagant is the make of Sniper Rifle in Metal Gear Solid :)

---
I am here:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:38:04 AM
I've never come across this before but I do know that Mosin Nagant is the make of Sniper Rifle in Metal Gear Solid :)

:facepalm:

The Mosin Nagant was the standard rifle of both the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union from 1891 to 1947, when it was replaced by the AK-47. The Finnish Army also used it extensively, and the US Army used it as a training rifle during World War 1. The M91 Mosin that I have was manufactured by Remington in 1918 under a Russian contract. The Russian Revolution meant that it never made it overseas. A modernized version, the M91/30, was used as a sniper rifle throughout World War 2, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and so on, still to be found all over the world. In terms of the tool, it's a combination screwdriver/bolt tool. The notches are to assist in adjusting the firing pin.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAcc.htm
http://www.mosinnagant.net/default.asp

The M91 and its variants was, and still is, one hell of a combat rifle, extremely reliable and, it its full-length (not carbine) versions, very accurate. In the US and elsewhere, there is a big "not made here" mentality when it comes to antique military rifles. The Mosin Nagant, Italian Mannlicher-Carcano, Japanese Arisaka, and others come under unfair criticism because of this. Just my opinion, of course. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:41:23 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:40:14 AM
It is a take down tool.It's basically a screw driver and the notches are go-no go gauges for the firing pin.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:43:31 AM
I had forgot to put the part about the notches into my first post. While I was editing it, Steve posted. :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
I thought they replace the Nagant with SKS then the AK-47. I my be totally wrong about that one. I do know they are a blast to shoot.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:47:35 PM
I thought they replace the Nagant with SKS then the AK-47. I my be totally wrong about that one. I do know they are a blast to shoot.
I believe you are correct sir.I have owned all three and they are great weapons.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:46:17 PM
My understanding has always been that the SKS was a stop-gap rifle. It was a matter of, "we have this new cartridge, and we need something that shoots it NOW." The First SKS carbines saw combat during the Battle of Berlin in 1945. When the AK came about, the Russians sent the plans and machinery for the SKS to its allies well before those of the AK. I should have mentioned the SKS, though, sorry! All three are fun rifles indeed, though as a lefty, the AK can be a bit hazardous to my face  :).

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:06:10 PM
Thanks to all for the info!! I really apreciate it.  :tu:  :cheers:

[/quote]
I believe you are correct sir.I have owned all three and they are great weapons.
[/quote]

Probably not the right forum to discuss this but I was wondering how dificult would it be to find the tool and/or the rifle :think:? Thanks again for all the help! Take care!! :salute:

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:57 PM
About this tool - its a screwdriver and included in the "set of maintenance"
I apologize for my poor english...

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 05:28:04 PM
I just found a website that has the cleaning and maintenance kit for $13 shipped. :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:01:56 PM
MANY military rifles and machine guns were issued with some sort of a multi-purpose takedown tool. :salute: As a matter of fact, there are so many different combination weapon-tools that we could probably give them their own forum here :D

Australian L1A1 SLR combo tool

An old British 1874 Martini-Henry tool

Combination cleaning tool for a U.S. M1 Garand

19th century multipurpose tool for the U.S. .45-70 Trapdoor Springfield

Mk1 Bren Gun combo tool

*note that none of these photos are mine. They are all from auctions currently running on eBay

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:53 PM
The Mosin tool will normally come with most Mosin Nagant Rifles. The little notches in the side of the tool is to check the firing pin protrusion so you do not get light primer strikes or to deep primer strikes. The flat head portion is used to adjust the firing pin protrusion. Figured I would add this in in case no one mentioned it. The rifles can be found for around $89 at most Big-5 Sporting Goods.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:18 AM
The rifles can be found for around $89 at most Big-5 Sporting Goods.

Would those be M91s, or M44 carbines? I'd guess the latter. Years ago, Navy Arms had a retail store here in Jersey, and they had an entire wall of M91 rifles made by both Remington and Westinghouse under WW1 contracts. At gun shows in PA that I frequent, M44 carbines can be found still in arsenal wrappings and cosmoline for low prices. Sometimes M38 carbines appear, the same as the M44 but without the folding bayonet. They're pretty rare, though, and can go for much more. The M91 long rifles are neat, the sights are not in yards or meters, but an obsolete Russian measurement called an arshin, which equals 28 inches. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:11 AM
It would be the M91.
I'm the milk man!

Offline BigFatTon

Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
Can't say enough how useful the cleaning rod that comes with the Mosin-nagant is.  Countless times I've had guys with pimped out AR-15s asking to borrow a cleaning rod because they have something lodged in their chamber or even barrel, and then it's ol' Rusky to the rescue.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:52 PM
Can't say enough how useful the cleaning rod that comes with the Mosin-nagant is.  Countless times I've had guys with pimped out AR-15s asking to borrow a cleaning rod because they have something lodged in their chamber or even barrel, and then it's ol' Rusky to the rescue.

There's a reason the Mosin's are still around and being sold readily.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Offline orca8589

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:33:37 AM
Hi folks - my first post here, but I figured I'd comment on this topic, since I own, shoot, and regularly fondle my Finn Model 39.

Numrich Gun Parts has this tool in stock every once in a while, in several variations. I'm slowly putting together the proper tool set-up for my Finn, but I'm stashing the tools for a Russian M-N that I'll get eventually.

There's a variation without the go-no-go notches, that I found at a flea market years ago. Took me forever to figure out what it was. I was using it to pop up the tab on my Lipton Iced Tea can.  ;)

~Chris

PS - great forum ya'll have here.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 01:04:47 PM
Hi folks - my first post here, but I figured I'd comment on this topic, since I own, shoot, and regularly fondle my Finn Model 39.

Numrich Gun Parts has this tool in stock every once in a while, in several variations. I'm slowly putting together the proper tool set-up for my Finn, but I'm stashing the tools for a Russian M-N that I'll get eventually.

There's a variation without the go-no-go notches, that I found at a flea market years ago. Took me forever to figure out what it was. I was using it to pop up the tab on my Lipton Iced Tea can.  ;)

~Chris

Welcome Chris, good to have you here! :salute:  Any chance we could get a photo of that one? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:02 PM
Welcome to the forum!  Numrich Arms Parts used to have a retail location at their warehouse in West Hurley, not sure if it's there anymore.  That place was a gun nut's dream.  I got the proper stock for my long M91 Carcano there, only place I could find one.  The M39 is a nice rifle, I like the stock better than those on the Russian models.

Offline orca8589

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 09:48:21 AM

~Chris

Welcome Chris, good to have you here! :salute:  Any chance we could get a photo of that one? :)

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

When I find my extra keyring, I'll put a picture up of the tool I have. I moved a lot of my lesser-used keyring gizmos to a secondary ring, that's close by if I need it, but not adding weight in my pocket when I don't. We moved last year, and I've got a few more boxes to go through. It'll turn up eventually. The tool I have is either identical, or very similar, to the Numrich #1152500, but Numrich shows theirs with one small notch, but I don't remember mine having one. We'll see when I find it.

I do remember that my M-N tool is pretty chewed up - besides drink cans, I also used it to pry paint cans open, scrape crud out the gaps in our car door seals, pry staples out of cardboard, etc. Very handy little tool. (It also works okay for striking sparks off of a fero rod.) When I first got it, I had thought about filing & stoning it down to fit the screws on my Ruger SBH, until I found out what the tool was. By then I'd had it for several years and honestly, I'd abused it quite a bit. It's retired now.

~Chris

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:52:26 AM by orca8589 »

Offline orca8589

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:10 AM
oops - hit "quote" when I meant to hit "Modify".

~Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:51:44 AM by orca8589 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44