Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you rate the Vice ?

Zed · 5 · 1861

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
How do you rate the Vice ?
on: February 18, 2012, 10:45:22 AM
Im after a small plier based MT, ive had the clutch and found it ok but i prefer the tool layout on the vice, what do you guys think of it  :think: it will live in my work backpack for now and then use and in my pocket on occasions, look forward to your views  :cheers:  :salute:

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Re: How do you rate the Vice ?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:45:54 PM
Hi Zed,

I have owned the Vise for a couple of years now. 

I like it but don't often pocket carry it anymore as I have a Squirt PS4 which is more compact and has the addition of scissors. 

It currently resides in a survival tin as part of a survival kit for hillwalking.

Pliers - Very good, precise, spring loaded, the only downside is I find the handles are quite far apart when open.

Knives - Plain edge is very good, clip design, the blade is quite wide compared to LM's smaller tools. I don't use the serrated knife much on the Vise as I find it quite small and with serrations I like to have a longer reach so you can get the sawing action.

Bottle Opener/flat head screwdriver - Works find with bottle caps, its and interesting design as it had two sections on either side of the handle joined together giving two points of contact on the bottle cap. The flat head is 4mm.  I have seen someone break theirs by using it to pry something, I have never had a problem with mine.

Phillips/File and small flat head - The phillips driver is that 2 dimension style often found on Gerbers, not a problem for me on such a small tool as the amount of torque I would apply is very minimal.  I don't find the file too useful though, its not very effective, the metal section is best used on finger nails I find but not a patch on say the Vic Classic file.  Also I have to lift up the bottle opener to get access to the Phillips.   As for the small flat head, never use it much.  But have just tried it on my glasses its the perfect size if a bit thick.  I may grind it now to make it fit  :D.

The only other minor downside is the handles are offset when closed. This is also true (even worse actually) on my Gerber Splice (exactly the same tool swapping the pliers for scissors).  Oh and almost forgot, I did break lanyard loop, where the split ring goes through, on my Splice through carrying it on a karabiner.

I hope this info is useful to you Zed  :).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:10:11 PM
I've not owned a Vice but I can't say I was ever blown away whenever I've held one, Clutch was better IMO.  An alternative to them both would be the new Dime of course, but another you might not have thought of is the Bear Grylls Compact Multi-tool.  Based on the Clutch it swaps the nail file for a serrated blade.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 05:56:50 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks for all the info  :o  :cheers:  ive also had a clutch and liked its pliers but not all its tools, im still not sure yet if ill get a vice but ive seen a few reviews and youtube vids and size wise it seems a ok pocket carry as a lightweight alternative to my PT and explorer if cycling light, it also might make a nice urban survival kit mini MT  ;) is it about the same weight as a clutch  :think:  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:23:05 PM
It's slightly shorter IIRC, not sure if that means there is much weight difference or not but my guess is that it would be pretty minimal.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%