Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What a Rescue Knife should be

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What a Rescue Knife should be
on: February 17, 2012, 12:54:40 AM
While this one is far from perfect, the Seber Ratcheting Rescue Knife is a lot more substantial than most of the so called Rescue Tools on the market. 

This thing is a tank, and it weighs almost as much as one anyway.  But, if you've ever had the joy of dressing up like a fireman, you know that with the jackets, pants, boots, helmets and oxygen tanks they wear, a few extra ounces is not a big deal.  Besides, a certain amount of heft to a tool reminds them they haven't dropped the knife, so in this case it's a good thing.

The neat thing about this tool is the ratcheting mechanism.  The switch you see on the bolster has three positions- open, lock and close.  When the switch is pointed towards the blade end the blade opens up with a clicking noise as the teeth inside let the blade open freely.  At any point the blade can be stopped and locked in that position by moving the switch into the center position.  With the switch in the middle position the blade won't open or close any further.

This can come in handy when trying to cut hose or slice clothing off an injured person.  To allow the blade to close, just move the switch all the way back toward the pommel.

Admittedly a tanto point is probably not best for cutting away clothing, but they do have other blade styles but I liked the cool tactical camouflage blade, so I got this one!  :D

This knife also features a small strap cutting blade near the butt end meaning you can avoid stabbing the injured person while helping them even if you got the tanto like I did.  :D

There's also a pretty hefty glass breaking tip on the butt, and given the heft of this knife I would imagine it could shatter just about any glass.

Sadly my neighbors sleep too lightly to test the glass breaker properly, so I'll just have to say that it should work given the heft and the typical shatterability of the average sheet of glass.  :D

Summing up, unlike some rescue tools this one is hefty, solid and not overly fiddly, and therefore would actually be useful to a first responder type.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Re: What a Rescue Knife should be
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:58:03 PM
Neat Knife!
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline Max Archer

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:42:24 PM
What I'm really wondering about is how well the strap cutter works. I have an Eickhorn rescue knife with a similar design and the cutter is pretty much useless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:37 PM
I don't know..My "Rescue Knife" is my Vic Rescuetool it has a dedicated blade, I have never really messed with a knife with a cutter like that

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:34:04 AM
Hey I have one of those......... Well not really. Looks similar though. That is if you take into account that mine is a piece of junk knockoff.  :D

They do look similar though. The glass breaker is in a different spot and mine does not have the 3 position switch on it.

Any idea what I could use to tighten the blade? I remember when I got it years ago I bent a fork to fit the four holes. It actually worked but not very well. I might take mine completely apart and clean it up.  :think:

I'm the milk man!

Offline Max Archer

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
Yeah I think the dedicated blades are a much better solution. For a tool that's primarily a knife I think I like Benchmade's solution with the Triage a lot better. This knife at least looks like it puts the cutter at a decent angle, on my knife it's almost directly perpendicular to the opening and that makes it work very poorly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:07 PM
I think the pointy tip is a throwback on a rescue knife, my opinion at least! That's why i like so much the Gerber Hinderer Rescue with its fat blunt tip which cn be used to pry if needed! :salute:
Antonio

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:20 PM
got to chuckle at a knife called a Hinderer that's supposed to help :D

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:44 AM
lol  :rofl: i just used watched for the meaning, i didn't know what it meant!  :D
Antonio

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:28 AM
lol  :rofl: i just watched for the meaning, i didn't know what it meant!  :D

Inviato dal mio LG-P760 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:24 PM
In my 30 years in the fire service I have never; 1) cut anyone out of a seatbelt, 2) needed a window punch or 3) used a knife to remove clothing. It's been my experience that we bring a lot of specialized tools to every scene and use them with great vigor. If I need to remove clothing, I use a pair of trauma shears. If I need to cut a seatbelt (or anything else) I use my knife. If I need to punch out a window...well, I've never been faced with that scenario as there are usually many other broken windows to choose from. I believe these types of knives are a marketing gimmick, just like the Rambo knives of the 80's...and about as useful.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:18 PM
In my 30 years in the fire service I have never; 1) cut anyone out of a seatbelt, 2) needed a window punch or 3) used a knife to remove clothing. It's been my experience that we bring a lot of specialized tools to every scene and use them with great vigor. If I need to remove clothing, I use a pair of trauma shears. If I need to cut a seatbelt (or anything else) I use my knife. If I need to punch out a window...well, I've never been faced with that scenario as there are usually many other broken windows to choose from. I believe these types of knives are a marketing gimmick, just like the Rambo knives of the 80's...and about as useful.

In my opinion, these tools are meant for the person inside the vehicle, no matter how they are advertized
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:40:49 PM

In my opinion, these tools are meant for the person inside the vehicle, no matter how they are advertized

This...

Might also be targeted at off-duty first responders? I mean, normally you have all the tools, but off duty finding an accident, I'm sure you're gonna  want to help...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:49 PM
How often are you trying to break in to a car that isn't already broken? Isn't it either going to be in a decent enough state that you can open the door or in a mangled enough state that the windows are smashed?

ca Offline Gallows

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 03:39:35 PM
How often are you trying to break in to a car that isn't already broken? Isn't it either going to be in a decent enough state that you can open the door or in a mangled enough state that the windows are smashed?

Once is enough. We came across a car upside down in the ditch one night. One side of the car was against the side of the ditch and the other had thick bushes. The windshield was glazed but all glass was intact. We ended up breaking the back window with a baton so the paramedics could go in to pull him out of the car.

ca Offline Gallows

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 03:40:16 PM
Did you buy the knife locally Grant?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 05:57:17 PM
I actually purchased this knife directly from Seber at the SHOT Show a few years back.  I don't think I have ever seen them for sale anywhere, but then there aren't a lot of really good dedicated knife dealers in Canada.

Most of these things I buy through online dealers that I know, eBay, other members here or at shows like SHOT.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:54 PM
I just got myself a Leatherman Z-Rex, I personally like the design and feel of the Z-Rex, however yours looks more compact and can be carried in your pocket. Have you tested the Seat belt cutter yet?

Here in Western Australia knives including folders are not allowed unless you can explain the reason (other than self defense) how and why you use. So for me the Z-Rex meets my needs...

Here is a pic of it...

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 04:53:31 PM
Now many Years ago one night as I drove my Truck I did stop at an accident I witnessed and did have to cut a seatbelt, but I used my Benchmade Ambush..I did not now about Rescue Blades at that time..However I was very careful with the tip and edge.. I wish Cold Steel would offer my Spartan or small Rajah III with a Breaker on the end

us Offline dipti

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:41 AM
Well said that Seber Ratcheting Rescue Knife are best of all other rescue knives in the market. But I have this "Magnum Rescue Knife" and I am quite with it. It is a good cutting tool as seat belt cutter and liner lock. This is quite easy to carry with a special feature of folding.
My never ending love for tomahawks

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 11:36:48 AM
@dipti, is the Magnum Rescue Knife OHO or 2HO? Gotta say, the Magnum and the Seber bears alot of resemblance to the one I'm about to buy, although mine is 2HO without lock.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:36 PM
I just got myself a Leatherman Z-Rex, I personally like the design and feel of the Z-Rex, however yours looks more compact and can be carried in your pocket. Have you tested the Seat belt cutter yet?

Here in Western Australia knives including folders are not allowed unless you can explain the reason (other than self defense) how and why you use. So for me the Z-Rex meets my needs...

"It's fo' fending off the 'roos, mate!"
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Tomahawk Rob

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 08:00:52 AM
The best "rescue knife" is the knife you carry all the time. Cutting seat belts or roof panels with my Spartan or Rajah 2 is easy. To break glass, I would use my SOG multi-tool. Removing clothes from a body with any open blade is dangerous! Emergency shears should be used for this. Strap cutters can snag on seams, causing further damage to the wounded area. 
Prepare for the worst and only the best will happen.

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 01:53:13 AM
I agree..I have a Vic Rescuetool, which I believe would do a fine job, but after carrying it for an extended period I realized to have the Dedicated Rescuetool I gave up a lot of Utility..

Dtrain

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:11 AM
what a rescue tool should be;

i am a medical rescue professional, a rescue tool must have a serrated blade, a flat screwdriver (prying tool) and may have pliers, a sharp reamer and a keyring-carabiner to attach to your belt. also it can be used with gloves, nedical or thick protective gloves.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
I can't argue with any of the above, especially coming from an actual rescue worker.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

00 Offline cool123

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 06:06:31 AM
According to me, Rescue knives should be helpful in survival situations where you find yourself in some dangerous circumstances.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 11:54:23 AM
That definition sounds more like a survival type knife.  Rescue knives are generally considered the type used by first responder types to accident scene and the like.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:55 PM
as
That definition sounds more like a survival type knife.  Rescue knives are generally considered the type used by first responder types to accident scene and the like.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

i agree, survival knives and rescue knives are very different subjects, first is for saving your life, second is for rescuing others..

00 Offline cool123

Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 07:53:41 AM
This folding knife looks a bit tactical and I think that its perfect to show to your friends.
That's a cool folder to have.
Thanks for sharing
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%