Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw Select Fire

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Kershaw Select Fire
on: February 17, 2012, 02:41:39 AM
After seeing this first at SHOT a while ago I really wanted to get my hands on one of these.  Of course, I forgot about it shortly afterwards and it wasn't until the $10 blitz on these at Wal Mart a couple of years later that I was reminded I had to get one.  With a little help from Ashley I managed to get a pretty blue one.

It was all I remembered it was, and this is basically a tool knife done right.

And, for $10 I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better knife let alone one with a built in screwdriver, bit holders, ruler and bottle opener.  I don't think there's a better tool deal out there.  Are you listening Surefire?

The liner lock is pretty solid- much more so than many knives I have seen that cost two or three times as much- Taylor Cutlery, are you idiots listening?

The only real drawback I've found to the Select Fire is the bits themselves- there's two Phillips drivers and two flatheads.  Apparently the folks at Kershaw never heard of a little thing called variety.  It would be really great if the four bits were double ended ones, which would give you eight different options- maybe some Torx bits would be handy.

Still, for the price you could get one of these and a bit set and still be ahead of the game.  Since it takes standard bits you can pick up a variety pack anywhere for next to nothing.  Are you listening Leatherman?

If you haven't got a Select Fire I really have to ask- why the heck not?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Chain Gang

Re: Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:49:09 AM
I have to agree.I picked up a black $10 special at Walmart and it was probably the best deal I've had on a new knife.This knife would sell in the $30-$40 range with no problem.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:18 AM
I have mine in black, I like the blue better.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:10 AM
CG- you are absolutely right.  I would happily pay $30-40 for this one, although I am really glad I didn't have to!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:01 AM
I EDC mine :)

I haven't found a better pocket screwdriver and the blade is nice and thick so I'm not worried about abusing it.

I've swapped one of the flats for a T8 bit, but I use both size phillips bits daily.

Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:26:39 AM
I like the two Philips. but two straight drivers are not needed

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:53 AM
I'd never tested the bottle opener, but I can confirm *hic* after strenuous side-by-side testing *hic* tonight that it performs as well as the Skeletool at getting those brews open ;)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:12 AM
It's a fantastic knife.... No complaints. Totally agree about swapping the bits though

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:32 AM
I'm not a fan of this knife format so I can't see me getting one, but they do appear to have got a lot right for those who don't mind liner locking combo edged blades

EDIT: Didn't realise they were available in plain edge
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:55:09 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:06 AM
Mine's plain edge, and liner lock is my preferred lock *hic*

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:46 AM
Mine's plain edge, and liner lock is my preferred lock *hic*

I'm a freak, and prefer slippie blades whenever possible - but I don't mind the Swisstool and Multiplier type release systems. I can tolerate a liner locking blade on a tool if I have to ... I just don't use that feature and carry a seperate knife  :D

Seems kind of stupid to do that with this though   :think: :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:12:32 PM
If I saw a PE one for $10-15 I would jump at it , unfortunately $10-15 is the cost to ship a Select fire to Oz  :( :(. The bottle opener is it the part of the handle cut-out were the bit holder folds into  :think: :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:23 PM
Yes it is and oddly enough it's also the one component I haven't tested yet. :-[

Def

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 05:30:24 PM
Maybe it wouldn't work well but there's a part if me that thinks there should be a strap cutter in that same bottle opener notch

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:29 PM
Am i looking in the wrong place? I cant seem to find any Blue ones! Driving me nuts :rofl:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:11 PM
If I saw a PE one for $10-15 I would jump at it , unfortunately $10-15 is the cost to ship a Select fire to Oz  :( :(. The bottle opener is it the part of the handle cut-out were the bit holder folds into  :think: :think: :think:

Don't run the gauntlet. Mine "fails" the "flick knife" test. Try and find one locally.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:26 PM

Don't run the gauntlet. Mine "fails" the "flick knife" test. Try and find one locally.

Mine flicks like a mother. What do you mean?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:45:16 PM
I think by "failing" they mean it can be flicked open.  The Australian government has recently passed a law based on this ambiguity.

Def

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:51:31 PM

I think he means that it won't pass the Australia customs knife "test".
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:03:40 AM

Correct.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:19 AM
You could get the person you buy it from to tighten the pivot somewhat before sending it.

For the record, I just tried the bottle opener and while it worked well enough it was a little awkward.

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 03:24:21 AM

Correct.

Dirty rotten cluckers  >:( >:( >:(.

Not sure I want to spend the $30-$40 on one sourced locally & that is before shipping costs are added  :( :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 03:25:27 AM
Got it! So silly;)

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 05:01:39 AM
Thanks for the effort Grant, I was glad to read this. I just purchased one of these from another member on the forum and he was very helpful with price. He also has upgraded the bits to steel so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one. :climber:
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 05:04:03 AM
Yes, you definitely want steel bits.  The ones that come with the Select Fire are made from parmesan cheese and I find are not overly effective, especially in the rain.  :D

Def

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 05:38:31 AM
Nifty looking knife/tool 8).  Any idea on how much torque the screwdriver can handle?... :think:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:06:51 AM
Nifty looking knife/tool 8).  Any idea on how much torque the screwdriver can handle?... :think:

I've given it a hefty twist without any detrimental effects. It seems pretty strong.

You could get the person you buy it from to tighten the pivot somewhat before sending it.

For the record, I just tried the bottle opener and while it worked well enough it was a little awkward.

Def

Be careful with that. If it's so tight it can't be opened at all, customs have the right to loosen the pivot. They will then, of course, loosen it to the point that it will fail the test.

It needs to be tight enough it won't budge while they fling it like monkey poo, but not so tight it can't be opened with two hands. A delicate balance is needed.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Kershaw Select Fire
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 12:13:08 PM
I was just looking around the interwebs, and realised someone should do a side by side comparison of the Select Fire and the Leatherman E55B. Should be a fairly close match.

I'm not investing $100 in buying one locally (yes, Leatherman in Australia is stupidly expensive - that's the cheapest price I could find) and I'm not running the customs gauntlet, and it might be a multitool, but it looks like a knife and I'm sure they'd very kindly throw it in the bin for me...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
I was just looking around the interwebs, and realised someone should do a side by side comparison of the Select Fire and the Leatherman E55B. Should be a fairly close match.

I'm not investing $100 in buying one locally (yes, Leatherman in Australia is stupidly expensive - that's the cheapest price I could find) and I'm not running the customs gauntlet, and it might be a multitool, but it looks like a knife and I'm sure they'd very kindly throw it in the bin for me...

It's on my list of projects, but I'm pretty sure someone did something similar recently.

Def

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 06:14:13 AM
I got one. Like it except for one wee small problem. I've got little hands. Yes, yes, I have small hands for a guy- just like T Rex did. :) It wasn't super comfortable for me to use as a knife, but it has found a home in my range box.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%